One Hit Wonders

GMan

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One-Hit Wonder" is a very subjective title. Many artists might have had one hit in a specific country, but many hits in other countries. Or, they might have had one Top 40 single, but many successes in the Album category. Led Zeppelin comes to mind as an example of the latter.

"One-Hit Wonder" is a very subjective title. Or, they might have had one Top 40 single, but many successes in the Album category. Led Zeppelin comes to mind as an example of the latter.

Whole Lotta Love, Dyer Maker [pronounced Jer-Maker...for Jamaica] and Fool in the Rain were all hits for Fred Zeppelin. The Immigrant Song, Black Dog and Fool in the Rain also come to mind as songs that cracked the top 40. Marv...I know Stairway to the land of make believe never hit the charts but Jimmy's answer to the Yardbirds were more than merely a one hit wonder when it came to their singles alone.

To Marvin and Lee:

You're right: A 'One Hit Wonder' could be different in any other country. Let's take The Tee Set from Holland they didn't make the top of the Dutch charts with their only international smash 'Ma Belle Amie" (1969) but over here 'She likes weeds' was a number one for weeks in 1970:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rmzZMQd6nU

Thanks Lee, just came to mind at 3am this morning.

"Keep the Ball Rolling" never gets played on "oldies" stations.

"Good Times Bad Times" from the first Zeppelin

album....and certainly a forgotton one. Classic

album rock stations rarely play it.....and it gets

lost on the "Oldies" stations. "Dancing Days"(from "Houses of the Holy") did come out as a single, but I am not sure if it charted.

Body and Soul- Flaming Ember

Steal My Sunshine- Len(they are Canadian, but their only US hit. Any other hits in Canada by Len?)

More More More- Andrea True Connection.

...interesting that Len sampled a part of this song as the basis of "Steal My Sunshine".One-hit wonder samples one-hit wonder......

You and Me(like a Disease)- Bad Religion

Situation- Yaz

Shame Shame- The Green Lanterns

Oh, THAT's who did "Westbound #9"???

And there was this one song called "Golden Gate Park" around 1968...who did that one?

I'm Your Puppet- James and Bobby Purify

Flower Children- Marcia Strassman

On the Dark Side- John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown band(??)....great "emulation" of the Boss!

Midnight in Moscow- Kenny Ball

Centipede- Rebbie Jackson