Tryin To Get The Feeling

Looks Like We Made It

When I Wanted You

Even Now

Somewhere Down The Road

I Made It Through The Rain

Mandy

These songs are Barry Manilow songs.

They all were loved by, and moved millions of people (most importantly, James smart )

Nuff said, and case closed!!!

I don't mind Barry's stuff. Even his big band/standards album is OK. But has my life been improved by his contributions? No. Would I miss his songs if he had never recorded? No.

To me there is nothing special about him. He is very accomplished at sitting right smack dab in the middle of the road. That doesn't make it for me. I need more oomph with my music.

AND...David Cassidy's [along with backing vocals and a superb arrangement from Carl Wilson and Bruce Johnston, who actually wrote the song and won the grammy] version of 'I Write the Songs' eats Manilow's version for breakfast, lunch, dinner and all snacks in between.

Barry's done incredibly well over the course of 30+ years, and his recent resurgence of popularity certainly owes much to his very loyal fan base.

James not to take away from Barry's list of accomplishments, but of the songs you listed, he was more of an interpreter than a songwriter.

Weekend In New England - songwriter Randy Edelman

Ships - songwriter Ian Hunter

Somewhere In The Night - songwriters Richard Kerr and Will Jennings

Ready To Take A Chance Again - songwriters Norman Gimbel, Charles Fox

Tryin To Get The Feeling - songwriters David Pomeranz

Looks Like We Made It - songwriters Richard Kerr and Will Jennings

When I Wanted You - ?

Even Now - songwriters Barry Manilow, Marty Panzer

Somewhere Down The Road - songwriters Tom Snow, Cynthia Weil

I Made It Through The Rain - songwriters Barry Manilow, Bruce Sussman, Bruce; Gerard Kenny, Jack Feldman, Drey Shepperd

Mandy - songwriters Scott English, Richard Kerr

There are virtually no artists I like that don't write their own music. That's a basic prerequisite for me to get into an artist, at least as a rule.

A couple exceptions are Elvis, and Barry Manilow.

I don't care that Barry Manilow didn't write most his stuff, it's all Barry Manilow, and it's moved millions of music listeners out there.

Nuff said, and case closed!!! (again)

wink

There are virtually no artists I like that don't write their own music. That's a basic prerequisite for me to get into an artist, at least as a rule.

A couple exceptions are Elvis, and Barry Manilow.

I don't care that Barry Manilow didn't write most his stuff, it's all Barry Manilow, and it's moved millions of music listeners out there.

Nuff said, and case closed!!! (again)

wink

I've got no issues with artists who don't write their own music. Those songs in someone else's hands might not have sounded anywhere as good or "moved millions of music listeners."

Bruce wrote I Write the Songs" inspired by Brian Wilson. Cassidy recorded it first and took it to #11 in the UK. After hearing Cassidy, Clive wanted Manilow to do it, he was reluctant, as he was more humble than the song comes across and was more about the inspiration, not autobiographical. Clive said you're recording it. He was right, it did ping.

("Barry you better record it or I'll give it to the new kid, that Carmen guy" ;-))

James... what can I say! Another incredible thread. And Marvin, you talented, handsome musical genius... you are both right on with your comments on Barry!

Let me add that Barry's first love was writing songs... Clive nixed so many of them, and TOLD Barry he needed to record songs he (Clive) believed would be hits... and they were. Clive's greatest strengh, for all his failings, was hitmaking!

In Ultimate Manilow, he sings the songs his fans love to hear...

I Made It Through The NIght is one of the most inspirational songs ever... which I could find a video singing it live....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN5vY1Gl5Ns&feature=related

Songwriters: Manilow, Barry; Sussman, Bruce; Kenny, Gerard; Feldman, Jack; Shepperd, Drey;

Here's a video that was shot the day after we were there to meet him. It starts out fuzzy, but then clears up... and he does a little of I Made It Through The Rain...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsbj_G7hAEw

Barry isn't the only one who rarely records a song that he's written/co-written.

On the "country" side of music, George Strait doesn't write the songs he sings. I don't know why that is but it works! I don't know the exact number of #1 hits he's had over the last 15+ years but there are quite a few.

Barry's fans loved everything he wrote... while he recorded the songs, they weren't big hits... but like someone said previously, his core fan base is so large they sold albums... big time. He has a huge "marketing machine" behind him now that promotes to the huge fan base. I swore I'd never join the fan club, but this year, after 30 years... I gave in. I'm officially a Fanilow!

Barbara, my ex-husband worked Barry's concert in Chicago a few months ago and he said all of Barry's roadies, (the ones that always travel with him, mind you) call him...are you ready? "Barely Man-enough". I am a Fanilow and Ava and I are excited about seeing his show with you. She's obsessing about dressing like Carmen Miranda. Peanut (Lola)

Barry has written (most) of these commercial jingles that we are all familiar with or has sang on them...

State Farm Insurance (like a good neighbor...)

Band-Aid (stuck on me)

Feelin' free (Pepsi)

Grab a bucket of chicken (KFC)

McDonald's You deserve a break today (As long as you don't call 911)

Feelin' free (Pepsi).

May I say that on top of his greatness... his foundation the Manilow Fund For Health and Hope does a lot of good. Fans can get a meet and greet by donating $1200 to the fund and meet their guy!