New LED ZEPELIN SINGER?

hbecstacy

Will Zep follow in the footsteps of Journey, Yes, Boston, etc., and get a young buck to take the place of their legendary frontman?

Posted today on Aces Showbiz.com and elsewhere:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00018920.html

Despite Robert Plant's refusal, Led Zeppelin will still continue with their plan to hit the road. Twisted Sister's frontman Dee Snider tells MuchMoreMusic that the rockers will be touring with Alter Bridge's singer Myles R. Kennedy.

"They're saying [to Robert], 'We're all rehearsed, we're ready to go, here's a gazillion dollars on the table," Snider says. "If you don't do it, we're going out with this kid. And he can sing the shit out of Zeppelin.' And they're gonna, like, hope that Robert, at the last minute, will go, 'OK,' and step in, before having the lead singer of Alter Bridge out with John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, and Jason Bonham." There hasn't any statement from both Zeppelin and Kennedy's camps referring to the rumor.

Previously, Robert revealed that he had "no intention whatsoever of touring with anyone for at least the next two years." Robert also admitted that he "will not be recording with LED ZEPPELIN." Robert was reportedly reluctant to be back with the band again after they faced huge amounts of paperwork from the record industry bureaucracy during their one-off gig at London's O2 arena.

___

Could very well be BS, but Jason Bonham did say on a radio interview a few weeks back that he, Page and Jones are working on new music and rehearsing together ... and Plant has repeatedly said he won't do no Zep tour, no how.

Time will tell, and stranger things have happened...

--Howard

".....and stranger things have happened..."

Such as Jimmy Page touring with The Black Crowes, which he did in '99-'00. The great majority of the songs played were old Led Zep tunes, and very faithful arrangements at that! Chris Robinson did a great job back then doing Plant's part....so yeah, I believe Page, Jones & Jr. Bonham could easily pull it off....

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the point of your post, completely. I think the bands that do this have diluted their legacies.

But then again, I'm not so sure how much intregrity we should credit Robert Plant. Hanging out with Allison Krause > $gazzilion.000.000.

wink

You know, it's nice to keep the music of some of these bands of our generation playing live and giving people the chance to see them, but I'm not a fan of these twenty year olds fronting for them, even though I'm sure they are great singers. The lead voice is usually what draws you in.

Think of it this way....if Eric decided he didn't want to tour anymore, would you really want to see a Raspberries tour with Joe Jonas singing lead?

They should consider that singer from "Train" Pat Monahan. I heard him sing Zepplin songs live on the Howard Stern show and he nailed it.

Even though his bio probably shows that he's from California, Monahan is actually from Erie, Pa ... well, Fairview, PA. Every band he was in when he was here did incredible versions of Zepplin tunes. He really drew a big crowd. Great singer.

Just 1 comment about the Queen/Rodgers combination. At the very least, they're not billing themselves as "Queen", and never have...it's always been "Queen and Paul Rodgers" or "Queen + Paul Rodgers". Suggest Led Zep may want to consider doing the same....(on the other hand, though, their substitute singer isn't that well known....)

Marvin... what's there not to like about Led Zeppelin? eye

Tim it's just a matter of taste / opinion. I never was one for their style of music. In the 1970's I was infatuated with pop music, Top 40 / AM radio, songs with strong melodies. Zep didn't fit into that little box that I created. Other than a couple of their songs which I think had some sense of melody, most of Zep's music just went over my head.

Could be. I believe they lowered the keys on several of their old songs they played during last December's one comeback show, to accommodate Robert P.

I'm guessing it's more a matter of he promised Alison Krauss that he'd do the tour with her, and he's kept his word. Now that the tour is almost over, at age 60, he's tired, and probably wants to stay off the road for awhile, spend some time with the family, etc. I suspect he already has so much money that he'll never be able to spend it, so the monsy offer probably means little to him.

Well said, Johns P and O. Plant has always had trouble replicating his recorded performances onstage--especially the high notes. Even in "The Song Remains the Same," he doesn't hit the heights he did on record--and he was young then!

And I agree the money doesn't mean much to him. The Zeps are very rich, so they don't need to do it for the big payday. I think Page, Jones and Bonham want to do it for fun--to "have a play." When you get that rich, you don't have to do anything you don't want to. They'd enjoy playing together. If Plant doesn't want to have a go, they'll get another singer--so they can play. The big question to me is if they'll go out as "Led Zeppelin" or do something like what "Howe Squire and White of Yes" are doing currently. I think using the band name would be a bit misleading, but there's a lot of commercial firepower in those two words.

It would be better with Plant even with his vocal limits... it almost like the Beatles getting back together... what songs will they play? We'll let Marvin listen to his favorite artist Rick Springfield while we jam to the Power chords of the Led.

Most of my favorite Led Zep songs do have melodies Marvin... if you can hum it... it has melody.