Two Ballads That Are E.C. Swoon Quality:

Tony Cartmill

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Loser,

As a person who's never experienced any illegal drugs, cigarettes and very rarely even indulges in alcohol I take offense to your tasteless comment. Apparently, your lack of knowledge and poor taste is not limited to music. -TT

Well, It seems TT and Michael Richards need to enroll in the same anger management program... winkinsane :p

"Well, It appears TT and JO have the same crack dealer on the East Coast..."

Well, mine used to be in Baltimore, before I went cold turkey.....but I don't ever remember seeing TT at his house.

TC - To paraphrase an old saying, TT and I can always go to rehab and get cured....but what can ever be done about your taste in music, if you TRULY, REALLY believe those two Gibbs Bro. songs are on a par with EC???

Tommy, when cool dudes like you and me are debating musical tastes, and one says to the other that they're on crack, the other is supposed know that this is a slang phrase used by everybody in the hood these days that means, "I strongly disagree with you.", and doesn't mean that the other cool dude actually thinks he's on crack!

Sincerely,

Dr. Anthony Cartmill PHD in Urban Studies... wink

"In hindsight, I should have flunked him for his musical tastes..."

Tony - All joking aside, and being totally serious - do you really, really believe those 2 tunes are comparable to EC's work??? If so, see my earlier comment above about Mel Torme, Liberace, and Tiny Tim....

"In hindsight, I should have flunked him for his musical tastes..."

Tony - All joking aside, and being totally serious - do you really, really believe those 2 tunes are comparable to EC's work??? If so, see my earlier comment above about Mel Torme, Liberace, and Tiny Tim....

The first "tune" - whose title I have thankfully banished from my memory - meandered aimlessly for about a minute and a half before it even got to the (lousy) chorus. Its overbearing wimpiness made Barry Manilow sound like Anthrax.

I don't remember the second song at all.

Give me "New York City Mining Disaster," "Horizontal" or (even) "How Deep is Your Love" any day over this tripe...

"It's all about the "cool" groups like U2, Green Day, and the self-indulgent REM, who are talented, but get way more hype than they deserve."

Tony - I agree with you 100% about the overhype for those 3 "cool" groups, and I don't much care for them in the first place.....AND I was a huge BeeGees fan from about '67 (first LP) through the end of their pre-disco phase....BUT, IMO, those particular 2 ballads you brought up are a bit too much. Period.

John O, These two diddies might be lighter and "wimpier" than EC ballads, because of the vocals. Eric has more genuine emotion in his nasally voice. But the production, harmonies and melody of these romantic BeeGees ballads are top notch!

Popdude is right about "I Could Not Love You More" taking a little too long to get really moving. But, like EC's "Nowhere To Hide" it has a big payoff by the end of the tune.

I can't believe you manly men can't lower your testosterone guard down just for a few minutes and see the merit in these 2 lush tunes...

The songs are good, Tony, thanks..I'd never heard them before. I'd suggest those listening not watch the stupid videos as they cloud the quality of the music.

Though good, they're still a far cry from tunes like "Country Lanes", "Come on Over", "Baby As You Turn Away", "Love So Right" etc etc.