Best Album of 2006

TOMMY TUNES

Tommy - Honestly, I haven't heard much of My Chemical Romance's new release yet....I wasn't crazy about their last one, and what I've heard so far from the new one is a bit bombastic for my taste....BUT please keep in mind that I didn't care for "American Idiot" either (other than its general theme). Will hit the Barnes & Noble again (with the listening stations that work for most of their CDs) & give it another listen....

Tommy - Honestly, I haven't heard much of My Chemical Romance's new release yet....I wasn't crazy about their last one, and what I've heard so far from the new one is a bit bombastic for my taste....BUT please keep in mind that I didn't care for "American Idiot" either (other than its general theme). Will hit the Barnes & Noble again (with the listening stations that work for most of their CDs) & give it another listen....

I recommend you check out the 4th track (the name of which escapes me), "Welcome to the Black Parade" and "Cancer"

Tommy - I went to Barnes & Noble at lunch & played snippets of each song (which is all their system allows you to do). "The Sharpest Lives", cut #4, is a great song, and there were maybe 3 others that I liked, based on what I heard. The words "bombastic" and "slick" still come to mind, however....and the singer's a little too emo for my taste. Sorry, maybe I'm just too old and jaded....

R-Wine - Bombastic & slick are the words I'd use to describe the production...there's a lot of 70s Queen, a lot of GreenDay via "American Idiot", and a lot of other similar arena rock. While it ain't my cuppa tea, millions obviously disagree (based on sales of the above....and I'm guessing, the sales of the new My Chemical Romance CD as well). Honestly, 4-5 of the songs I heard snippets of were catchy and hooky as Hell.....and I'd probably buy a copy, except for the singer, who just doesn't move me at all. With singers, they either hit you or they don't. This guy doesn't do it for me (NOTE: nor does Billy Joe of GreenDay, for that matter.)

funny... i go away & this is up here.... Wow... thanks for posting that Tommy...

for 2006, there's a LOAD of great new releases... and as much as i luv My Chemical Romance... i think they're albums are tough to listen to all the way through... I DO think they're a genius singles band... although some of their best songs have not been singles...

"Dead!" is an amazing MODERN power pop song with insane hooks and BIG production... hands down, the best thing on the new album...

Like Bob Allen, I think the best album of 2006 is The Pernice Brothers' "Live A Little" which is the work of pure genius and is GREAT through & through...

beyond that check out these new releases:

The Fratellis- Costello Music (import)

Ed Harcourt- The Beautiful Lie (import)

Badly Drawn Boy- Born In The UK

The Lemonheads- The Lemonheads (a great self-titled comeback)

The Sleepy Jackson- Personality

Lloyd Cole- Antidepressant

there's also new CDs by Sean Lennon, Divine Comedy, Damien Rice that are worth checking out too.....