PETE BEST receives official apology from...GEORGE MARTIN!!!

Paul Davie

You heard it here first folks! Pete's US manager called me at 7:30pm EST/US to let me know that TODAY...hell has officially frozen over!! Forget about the Eagles reunion...this news is almost FORTY SIX years in the making!

MARTIN APOLOGISES TO REPLACED BEATLES DRUMMER

It's official!! Reported at 7:03pm EST/US. Sir George Martin has publicly apologized for authorizing the dismissal of original BEATLES drummer - PETE BEST. Sir George apparently has lived a lifetime of "feeling guilty", and felt the need to come clean.

Let's hope that since George Martin has had to 'Carry That Weight...a LONNNG time', maybe another 'Sir' will eventually elaborate on HIS take. But for now, this is a glorious moment for our friend, Randolph Peter Best...."The Man Who Put The Beat In Beatles" from 1960-62.

And wouldn't you know, when the news was announced, it was 12:03am GMT (midnight in the UK), and Pete was sleeping. Exactly one hour later, an EARTHQUAKE registering 4.7 woke most of England up, including Liverpool! Personally, I think that is NOT a coincidence! I'll bet that up in heaven, Pete's loving mother - Mo Best - told John Lennon, George Harrison and Brian Epstein to "JUMP" so Pete could wake up and hear the news he's been waiting to hear for 45+ years....and they obliged! wink

Wow! That's amazing. I'd never heard anyone associated with the Beatles apologize for Pete's ousting --- out of respect for Ringo, no doubt. This is very big of George M, though it probably does little to those nagging feelings of "what if...?" that Pete Best has likely been fostering for 40 years.

I, too, wonder what, if anything, might have been different about the Beatles if they had been John, Paul, George, and Pete. Certainly they'd have been just as popular, influential, and amazing, considering that John and Paul were the catalysts. And that's not to say that Ringo was a spare part by any means, and in fact he was great support guy. But who knows? Who would have sang "Yellow Submarine" and "What Goes On"? And what would Abbey Road have been without "Octopus's Garden"?

Yeah, but Ringo is a waaaaay better drummer, IMHO. If you listen to the Pete-era Beatles, it's obvious that he doesn't swing like Richie - his beat is plodding and his time is pretty ragged. He routinely blows time changes and transitions. He is louder - hits harder, etc., but once they started getting away from the straight rock stuff and into the more subtle things (say from Rubber Soul on), it's hard to believe he would have been able to keep up.

Not only that, but his personality didn't fit the group as well as Ringo's. Try to imagine A Hard Day's Night without Ringo's character - he makes the movie.

George Martin was right in 1962, I say. Sorry, Pete.

This is all, of course, assuming that Ringo actually played on all (or most) of The Beatles' recordings, which he may or may not have....depending on who's telling the story, and which story one believes (re: Bernard Purdie stating that they had 4 drummers, and none of them Ringo, McCartney himself drumming on certain songs, etc.)...

This is all, of course, assuming that Ringo actually played on all (or most) of The Beatles' recordings, which he may or may not have....depending on who's telling the story, and which story one believes (re: Bernard Purdie stating that they had 4 drummers, and none of them Ringo, McCartney himself drumming on certain songs, etc.)...

Well if one has a taste for conspiracy theories this might be interesting, but with all the documentation available I think it's obvious that Yes, Ringo did play on the tracks he's credited with.

It might be easier to believe if he couldn't come up with the goods on his solo or live outings.

Bernard Purdie is a great drummer.... who has a reputation of stretching the truth. I'll stick with George Martin's view that Ringo was one of the best (no pun intended) drummers he'd ever recorded... That Ringo >rarely< messed up a take... I believe the figure Martin said was maybe 4 takes out of all the recordings had to be restarted for an error from Ringo.