The 'REAL' R'N'R Hall Of Fame

marvin

Come with me to the real Rock and Hall of Fame where the ‘berries and Eric (solo) were inducted years ago. There’s no argument here about the inductees because voting is done by the fans. In the real Hall it is a given that Elvis, Chuck, Fats, Richard, Beatles, Stones, the Who, Dylan, the Kinks, and the Beach Boys are in, so give me your 2 acts that you feel deserve to be enshrined. They can be acts that are already in that other Hall, or acts still waiting their turn.

My Rock & Roll Hall of Fame includes:

1.The Hollies

2.Guess Who

Marv

Just a quick aside regarding one of my nominees above....At the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame gift shop, in their very large CD section, under the "C's", there's a plastic card/divider, with the name "Dave Clark Five"....and written under it, "Nothing Currently Available World-Wide!!!"

I suspect Clark's reluctance to release anything on CD has cost his band dearly, as far as ever getting inducted into the HoF......not to mention the fact that he's sat on their material so long that many of their older fans are likely either no longer interested or no longer living...and his master tapes are probably decreasing in value as a result. The time to release their catalog was probably about 5-6 years ago, before CD sales took the huge nosedive!

"There’s no argument here about the inductees because voting is done by the fans."

Marv - I went back and re-read your original premise...and frankly, a HOF based strictly on fans' votes would be just as ridiculous as the current Hall we now throw stones at! Highly influential bands who sold next to nothing, AKA "critics' darlings," would have no chance, nor would early pioneers of the music.....and we'd sit back and watch the likes of Dave Matthews or Gnarls Barkley or Justin Timberlake get elected and inducted. Personally, I prefer the current arrangement over a fans' vote....(and what, BTW, makes anyone think that the Raspberries would get in if left strictly to the fans????...aside from the votes on this board?)

John you are right: if left to the fans, this would become a popularity contest instead of based on merit. So what if we re-phrase the criteria and the question as follows:

"Who do you believe deserves to induction into HoF - based on their body of work/influence on Rock music?"

Marv

The Hollies 1962-1982 all lineups (including Eric Haydock, Graham Nash, Terry Sylvester, Mikael Rickfors). They have more Top 40 hits (singles anyway) worldwide than band except The Beatles.

And believe it or not...KISS.

They were original, theatric, sold millions of records, have a couple of timeless anthems, and spawned a cottage industry - merchandise, a movie (a really BAD movie, but nevertheless), people painting their faces, conventions, a reality show about Gene Simmons, and they had that great attitude like The Beatles did.

I am proud to say that I sold an Ace Frehley 'retirement tour' pick on eBay in 2002 for $12.50. You can't get that for a Eddie Van Halen pick! wink

I'm sure that many of us own the 2 disc cd package issued by the DC5 JohnO. IF those are all sold out...can't see Dave not getting more 'done up' and then out onto the shelves. Perhaps??they were merely sold out at the SO CALLED Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame?

I say "so called" because there is apparently WAY too much Atlantic Records [and subsidiaries] influence and it's more of a business decision than one of who does or doesn't DESERVE to be there.

I get this 'take' on the place from friends who live in Cleveland and who's opinions I thoroughly respect...particularly from an historical and realistic music industry point of view.

[meanwhile John...it would be cool to see the DC5 catalogue finally become available on CD. As far as I know...THAT has yet to happen. The longer he waits...the more likely it will be that THAT eventuality will become a whole lot less than relevant. Merely a best of [+] compilation is no where near enough and really rather unfair.]

Lee - The 2 disk "History of the DC5" set on the Hollywood label (which is the ONLY officially released DC5 music on CD that's ever come out) has been issued twice...each time to the tune of about 50,000 copies...and, if all Clark needs to do is get more "done up", then I'm not sure what the Hell he's waiting for! The 2nd pressing came out about a year after the first one. I bought 3 copies of the original set, and sold 2 on Ebay for about $150 apiece, then snatched up a couple more copies of the 2nd pressing, and got similar prices about a year later. As copies are now bringing less than $50 on Ebay, maybe the 100,000 copies were sufficient.

(Personally, I have the DC5's first 14 albums on excellent-sounding CDs that came out on a couple of Hungarian labels about 5-6 years ago. They were burned from mint condition vinyl, and not Clark's masters, but they'll have to do until Clark gets his head out of his butt and releases their material on CD.)

While I believe those comments about the Atlantic influence on the R&RHOF are true, it's also a sad fact that acts such as the DC5 are not likely to garner more support in the future, as the number of fans, critics, etc., who really care about them is diminishing over time.