Why do people think this is bad??

Annie Dolan

When I was about i5, I disovered older music and it tasted really good because I was constantly bombarded by what we call "The Top 40's Rock".

But I discovered that older songs had a quality to them, some "je ne sais quois" quality of sentiment, young love, and wonderful melody. I think it was also a great history lesson: It taught me that love is basically the same in every generation. I was even listening to Al Jolson old stuff which came before Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Al Martino, Buddy Holly, and all the others.

Now, I grew up with the Beatles, but my parents listened to a more mellow station with Sinatra, Martin, Bobby Darin, and the like. So, if I heard the Beatles or someone like the Stones, it was usually on Ed Sullivan. (Mom went around singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" for a few days; Dad shook his head at the Stones and Animals and called them "dairty perverts" with his slight accent.)

Love, romance, melody and rhythm never die! It's "cool" to like any music you wish. Anything that touches your heart, even Beethoven or a church hymn, is your right to like, and you "OWN" your likes! You don't have to justify your taste in music.

Annie I was in the same predicament when I was your age. Everyone else was listening to hair metal, top 40 (which annoyed the hell out of me), and rap was just taking hold. And I was the only guy listening to the Beatles on my walkman (no iPods back then).

There's nothing wrong with it. It's personal preference. When someone asks you why you don't listen to "new" music say "Why the hell not?".

To tell you the truth, I just kept quiet about it, and thought of it as one of my secret "guilty pleasures", all the while cassette taping them in my room.

I din't tell a soul until I was about 28! smile Frankie Vally, I love you still. You, too. Bobby Vee.

Annie, it's all about what hits your ear and touches your heart. Music just flows within you and you get it or you don't.this is why all your friends here love lots of types of music.

I think your friends dismiss your varied tastes in music because they are jealous.

You are a leader - they are sheep.

Annie, I also was in your situation. My husband is twelve years older than me. He turned me on to the oldies when we met years ago. When I look back at all the groups and artists (flash in the pan) that have come and gone I realize that these songs are enduring. Think about it, "Hard Days Night" is over 40 years old! True musical talent has staying power. Bach, Bethoven, Sinatra,etc. Will those other songs/artist be around that long? Doubt it. But, to each his own. Have faith and rock on!

Oldies have been relieved of MUCH of their excess baggage. Apart from [here I go again] the all TOO narrow playlists of radio stations [programmed ALL TOO OFTEN by people who just DON'T KNOW music]...*WE* have turfed much of what didn't stand the test of time and those novelty 'poopers' that had NO staying power.

NEW music hasn't been editted yet. The good stands shoulder to shoulder with the shyte...and THAT stuff drags the good tunes down.

[Mind you...if I go through the 90s...there is much less material that I would consider to be REAL classics than there IS from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s...and NOW??? Maybe 5 or 6 songs a year. ..MAX. ]

There is currently WAY too much importance placed on LOOKS. Much too much money spent on videos. Hence we get stuck with THOSE 'so-called' songs Musicianship and creativity are on hold. The 'looker' who can be electronically FIXED [vocally] in the studio reigns supreme. WE all loose. BIG time.

Give music back to the musicians and tell these 'idols' to go fly a kite.

Music is for RADIO...not televison. Why? Simple. Music is for the ears...NOT the eyes.

ITA, Mr. Marshall.

In the '90s, I was into the so-called "oldies" that never left my mind, and my kids gestated through my listening of all the older songs and survived. We even twisted to "oldies." They loved it!

Now, my nearly 15-year-old is listening to AC/DC, which I really don't get into, but at least she isn't into Britney or some other profane and vulgar sfuff. (Oh yeah, this coming from an "explicit" Rasperries/Carmen fan.)

If you listen to music form the '30s through to the '80s, you DO notice a decline in quality and professionalism.

Personally, the "Idol" shows aren't on my viewing list. Not much of any TV is, anymore, but show me "Gilda" or "Casablanca", and I'll be over with the white wine right away to discuss theme, technique and denouement.