The Worst Song...Ever.

Bob Allen

Interesting "Start Me Up" story for James or whomever. I used to DJ in the late 70's and early 80's. I would DJ clubs as well as parties. One regular gig I had one year was at a Rock club in Asbury Park NJ (not the Stone Pony but 1 block away). They would have local rock cover bands play as well as National Acts. (I DJ'd there one night for A Flock of Seagulls in their prime. Anyway the manager of the club was a guy named Page and in my opinion a bit of a slacker. Page loved "Start Me Up" and asked me to play it first song every night. Which I did for the remainder of my rtenure there. One day, about 15 -20 years later I'm watching Professional Wrestling on television and who's one of the biggest wrestlers but that same Page only now he goes by the name "Diamond Dallas Page". He became champ and was quite successful. For more on DDP:

http://www.diamonddallaspage.com/photo/wrestle/index.html

My challenge with Lewisa is a little different Lew..

When she's with me (especially when I haven't showered), I can't get her to shut down... she's turned on 24 hours/day...

confused

James the "Jackhammer" stud muffin at work again!!

No wonder the ladies ignore me anymore.

• 16 years later...

Comments on some of the most hated songs by posters on this thread:

"Afternoon Delight" - it bored me back in the summer of 1976 when it was played constantly, but listening to it recently, loud, on my player, musically the song is a gem. The theme is kinda wierd/dumb maybe, but musically they hit it out of the park.

"Which way you going Billy" - not listed much on the thread, but still, incredible to me it´s listed at all...on any given day it could be my fave song of all time. What a melody, what a performance.

"Convoy" - Eric listed it. I love it. Part of my love is probably nostalgia for those times, and it represents the CB craze we went through, which was fun. P.S. I drove my family´s Chevy Blazer back then into which we installed a CB....my handle was the "Blue Arrow"....which evolved into the "Blue Hornet".  : )

"Honey" and "Watching Scotty Grow", Bobby Goldsboro - both can produce watery eyes. Mac Davis wrote some great stuff.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, James said:

"Which way you going Billy?" - not listed much on the thread, but still, incredible to me it´s listed at all...on any given day it could be my fave song of all time. What a melody, what a performance.

Thanks James for always being honest re: songs that the majority of people will not find moving.  "Which way you goin' Billy?",  sung by Susan Jacks of the Poppy Family is also one of my favourites. I knew her personally as she was from here in Saskatoon. We continued to communicate over the years. She used to sing in coffee houses here.  So sad that we lost her to kidney disease 2 years ago. A beautiful haunting voice and a beautiful human being.Screenshot_20240220_170005_Google.jpg.93261f18c8ac3daa825ba5340ea16833.jpg

• Like 1

Good bump LC. I don't remember reading this thread before,  but I always enjoy what Eric has to say about other songs, artists and their performances. Sure glad to hear his shout out to Billy Joel and the song "Lullabye", which I agree is "heartbreakingly" beautiful. 

5 hours ago, Rhonda B said:

Thanks James for always being honest re: songs that the majority of people will not find moving.  "Which way you goin' Billy?",  sung by Susan Jacks of the Poppy Family is also one of my favourites. I knew her personally as she was from here in Saskatoon. We continued to communicate over the years. She used to sing in coffee houses here.  So sad that we lost her to kidney disease 2 years ago. A beautiful haunting voice and a beautiful human being.Screenshot_20240220_170005_Google.jpg.93261f18c8ac3daa825ba5340ea16833.jpg

So sorry to hear of her passing and condolences to you on losing a lovely friend.

I know Rhonda knows who that fella in the video is, but for those who don't, that is Susan Jacks' ex- husband, Terry Jacks of Seasons in the Sun fame.

I'm sure there are lots of folks who don't care for that song, but it was a part of my childhood.

Now that I'm much older, it hits home.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, susie b said:

I know Rhonda knows who that fella in the video is, but for those who don't, that is Susan Jacks' ex- husband, Terry Jacks of Seasons in the Sun fame.

I'm sure there are lots of folks who don't care for that song, but it was a part of my childhood.

Now that I'm much older, it hits home.

Thanks Susie.  I thought somebody might bring up "Seasons in the Sun" and Terry Jacks under this topic again.  That song has taken a beating over the years. But our opinions about everything, including songs/artists, totally change as we age.  That has never been made more clear to me than when I read posts on this site. We all have different perspectives depending on what  cards we've been dealt in life and again as we age and "wise-up", as I like to think. So a sad song about someone losing a loved one might affect you differently. But here is something I don't think many of you know. "Seasons in the Sun" was pitched to the Beach Boys by Terry Jacks, and here is the 2:44 short audio interview that he gave regarding the song. I think you will find it quite interesting.. (It's only available through Facebook)

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/WW1GiEEeVB5gw3Hc/?mibextid=D5vuiz

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kirk said:

Hey Batman,

I thought Their Coming To Take Me Away played backwards was genius! Bought the 45 when it first came out.

That had to be the first time that trick was ever used on a phono record, pre-dating the Beatles 1967 Magical Mystery Tour (I buried Paul, on Strawberry Fields). The process is called "backmasking". Sources say that it has been around since the late 1880's. 

• Like 2