The Worst Song...Ever.

Bob Allen

When I'm listening to the '70's channel on XM, there are two songs that make me punch another channel before it's too late: "The Pina Colada Song" and (I don't think this has been mentioned yet) "You're Having My Baby" by Paul Anka.

Steve I did some checking, and although I know that Springsteen's "BItUSA" has outsold "The Stranger" over the last 20 years, for the period that you mention (1977-1985), "The Stranger" likely was Columbia's best-selling title. Here's a list of Columbia's top 11 (Million sales in the left-hand column).

23.0 THE WALL - PINK FLOYD

21.0 GREATEST HITS VOLUME I & VOLUME II - BILLY JOEL

15.0 BORN IN THE U.S.A. - BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

14.0 GREATEST HITS - JOURNEY

14.0 SIMON & GARFUNKEL'S GREATEST HITS

13.0 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & E STREET BAND LIVE 1975 - '85

10.0 AEROSMITH'S GREATEST HITS

10.0 DAYDREAM - MARIAH CAREY

10.0 MUSIC BOX - MARIAH CAREY

10.0 THE STRANGER - BILLY JOEL

10.0 FAITH - GEORGE MICHAEL

Moonlight Feels Right -- Starbuck

I must admit I like that plus Afternoon Delight + Can't Fight This Feeling + Celebration. But

not Abracadabra (too cheesy) or the ripperton

tune we talked about (annoying & revolting).

My interests have spread any many directions as

I get older --- harder & softer & sometimes

a little funky and off the wall.

Starbuck's 'Moonlight Feels Right' might be the ultimate 'payola' hit of the entire decade. LOADS of airplay...high chart positions across North America. Did it hit #1? Close if it didn't. I can't remember the exact number...but it seems to me it scored a total sales figure that was ridiculously low...something like sales of 1,500. A real NON hit-hit song.

Amazing what a FULL page ad and a little graft will do for a song. I used to HATE working for this station in Toronto. Credibility? NONE. The audience was asked to call in and vote for their favourite song of the day... At 8pm we counted down the Top 8 at 8. It was spewed out by a computer. NO votes needed. NONE used. The top 8 at 8 was 100% payola driven. What a friggin' CROCK.

I like most Billy Joel songs. Some aren't terrific, but most are pretty good. I agree about most of the songs mentioned. I do like REO Speedwagon's "I Can't Fight This Feeling". I can even deal with "Moonlight Feels Right"

The songs I can't stand, and I know I'll be flammed like crazy for these: Tom Sawyer by Rush, and Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd. I think they stink!