New Crowded House album

Trindy

OK, so maybe I'm the last person on the planet but I didn't realize until hearing them yesterday on Live Earth that Crowded House had even gotten back together (with some changes, obviously). They sounded GREAT. I'm now listening to the tracks of their new release on iTunes and really liking them. I think this calls for a pre-order. It is nice to see them back.

Then again, who knows? With the way the politics seem to lean on this board, I may have been the only person on it to pay any attention to Live Earth...

I've heard the full "Time On Earth" album - and I'm definitely picking it up on Tuesday. Of course I've been a fan for quite a while, but I had some worries upon hearing that this originally was to be Neil Finn's new solo album albeit with CH bassist Nick Seymour playing. But it sounds like a CH album, sadly minus the late Paul Hester, but CH nonetheless.

Go ahead and "Oh brother" me all you want, popdude...I just get the impression that with a few rare exceptions, the majority of people on EC.com range from mildly politically conservative to extremely politically conservative...that's all.

In my view --- there used to be a lot of "extremely politically conservative"(s) on this board --- but now I think they are coming to their senses!!! Largely by realizing that 'W'

& his cronies are using anti-American tactics to further their agenda ---- w/ little regard for the citizens.

Well said, Raspy. I was thinking the same thing, Trindy.... The political leanings are the opposite of what you've noticed. (Or maybe I'm just influenced by my own Al Gore thread.... :-)

While I truly love Crowded House, Split Enz and the Finn Brothers, I'm a bit disappointed in the new CH album. I realize that Paul H's suicide is what brought them together again, so I was expecting somewhat of a downbeat mood to the new release, but dammit, while listening to "Time On Earth" for the first time last night, through headphones on a Diskman, I fell asleep!

Too many slow ballads, which isn't the problem....but not enough hooks, at least upon first listen, to keep my attention glued to the songs. Neil F. usually gives us 4-5 gorgeous slow ones per LP that have enough hooks to stock a bait & tackle shop, along with another 3-4 songs that immediately register as monster hit singles. So far, I hear two potential hits here - "She Called Up" and "Even A Child". Hopefully, I'll hear more (AND stay awake) with it blasting on my car stereo later today....and it will grow on me....as their other LPs did (but usually upon first listen!)

I personally thought there are oodles of hooks on the album from the first listen, but as usual with each listener "Your Mileage May Vary." Stay with it, as I've known that sometimes Finn's songs tend to blossom for some after repeated listenings. I'm very pleased with the album overall, and I'd like to hear the two non-LP tracks ("Lost Island" and "Stare Me Out") which are on the CD single of "Don't Stop Now" and word has it also on the vinyl version of the album!

Brioohs - I listened to it a second time, and I'm still disappointed...as is my friend Kim, who loves CH. I loaned it to her last night, and her take on it, as of an hour ago, was - there's just nothing on it that immediately conks you over the head and implants itself into your brain, no melody or tune that you just can't stop thinking of over and over after 1-2 hearings. (The good news was - at least she didn't fall asleep!)

As you say, mileage will vary...and I'm not just trying to be a curmudgeon here - I'd love to love this album...Hell, I'd love to love every CD I ever buy or hear, but......just calling it as I see (or hear it).....

I really like the first half of the album. But after track 6 it really gets snoozy. Over on the Crowded House discussion board, there is talk about whether the 14-track album should have been chopped down to 11 tracks...and I think it's primarily because it is too long with all of the downbeat stuff.

I'm going to see them in Montreal on August 12. If they play tracks 2, 3 and 6 (no, the names haven't kicked in yet) live, there will be no problems.