Favorite Cut

Paulie Mississippi

OK... having done the "speed listen" as my better half is not home to enjoy the full experience... and I'm convinced that the performance of "I'm A Rocker" was the peak of the performance.

I had read that it was great, so I was perhaps expecting it... but sometimes that kind of build up is too much. Not this time. It really reminds me of how many quality songs they released as singles that the "intelligent" music buyers of the day ignored...

OK guys... now for our next wish... NEW MATERIAL and a CONCERT TOUR! :lol:

Don't Wanna Say Goodbye was always my favorite Berries song. I don't think Eric and Wally ever topped this joint effort. Lennon and McCartney stuff. Watch the interaction between Wally and Eric on this one. Eric made reference to this cut when he and Mark were mixing the cut that this was how he wanted it to sound. The first Berries single, I always thought it WAS the right first release. MAGIC.

One of the singers in our band is only 19 years old, and a nut about C&W music. Today I played "Should I Wait" for her, and she wanted to know if it was a new song. She fell in love with the song right away.

This weekend I'm playing at a Coffee House, and will be doing "Should I Wait." Let's see if I can turn some fans toward Dave's music.

Marv

hollies65 said:

'Overnight Sensation'...I guess I always took this song for granted...it is done so well live that I still can't believe it. 'Should I Wait'really could stand up next to anything on the Eagles greatest album 'On The Border'...That my friends is high praise.

Overnight Sensation literally gave me chills, listening to it (AND watching it on the DVD!!)! DWSG is another BIG fave...can't get much better...just am lovin' the whole CD (standard, deluxe, limited...I have them all..lol!!)!! :lol:

The songs and performances are all great!!! For me, the highlight of the video (which a bunch of us watched repeatedly at Bernie's on Saturday, BTW), was the idiot body surfer in the crowd getting dropped/dumped on his head toward the end of "I Can Remember". I certainly can and did remember this from the LA show!

I would have to start with "Don't Want to Say Goodbye" and "I Can Remember." They are two of my favorite Raspberries cuts and as others have said, Eric and Wally sound great together on "Goodbye."

I am a big fan of Dave's stuff from Fresh and Side 3, and he looks like he's having so much fun on stage, so "Should I Wait" and "Makin It Easy" were highlights for me as well.

I love the rockers like "Tonight" but I think Eric's voice sounds strained on those nowadays.

"If You Should Change Your Mind" is one of my favorites too, but Eric sang it better in Chicago.

"Hit Record" was of course great.

Can't pick a favorite, but these are a few off the top of my head.

Also loved "You're Gonna Lose That Girl" at Scene Pavilion.

It's so difficult to isolate one "fave" from "Raspberries Live..." but "Don't Want To Say Goodbye" would have to be it, because hearing Eric and Wally harmonize so perfectly as only they can really tugs at my heart. Lennon and McCartney indeed! Actually, I like the way Wally and Eric do it better than Lennon and McCartney--I always have. There has always just been something about the colors of their voices and the way they blend/complement each other that was like nothing else in the world for me. Hearing this again brought tears rolling down my cheeks.

As for the rest of the album, every cut is perfect. It's Raspberries at its best, like never before. This album should win an industry award--at *least* one, probably more!

:) --Darlene

I gotta add... I've been listening to the CD's while doing some work today and though "I Don't Know What I Want" was probably my least favorite cut from "Starting Over", this live version is dynomite! I really think that the 2nd CD... from "Hit Record" through to "GATW" could stand on it's own as one of the best "Live Albums" ever sold... Our boys sure as hell put the POWER into Power Pop!!!

Should I Wait, is performed and recorded flawlessly, and is far superior to the album cut. Of course if I sang Twinkle Twinkle with pipes of Eric, Wally, and Jennifer behind me it would sound good. Great Song, Great performance..cool to see Dave get recognition.. it also looks like he had more fun than anyone. He's the fifth Eagle.

Wally did great on his songs too. Would have liked to see "Might As Well" in the cut, my favorite Wally song.

IMHO, Eric killed from start to finish. Incredible video.

Sweet.