Cleveland Essentials

Bessieboo

Leff said:

It would be great if the weather were that easy to forcast in Cleveland. We have a peculiar phenomena here along the shores of Lake Erie called lake-effect snow. A long-time weatherman in Cleveland has always said that for the first five years he was here, people complained about having to shovel eight inches of partly cloudy off their sidewalks. Now, the new weather-guessers scream all over the TV if they even THINK a single flake might be coming! We'll let y'all know closer to the date -- but don't hold us to it. :wacko:

We get the same kind of forcasts here in Milwaukee too! We are on Lake Michigan, so we also get the infamous lake-effect snow! crazy I'll be driving from here early Friday Morning, so I have to cross my fingers for good weather here, getting past Chicago, and good weather in Ohio. It might take me a while to get there if I have to drive 20 mph in a snow storm. :blink:

Tim

We're VERY extreme and unpredictable here in Chicago. The old joke is, "If you don't like the weather just wait 15 minutes and it'll change!" Our lake effect snow can paralyze the whole metro area in a matter of hours! We're driving in so we're praying for clear roads and good travel time. 

People here in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia area just freak out at the mention of snow. We only had a few inches that came down pretty quickly and that caused all kinds of havoc. People just drive like maniacs. It can snow after everyone gets to Cleveland and not a moment sooner!!

We are unpredictable in Cleveland as far as weather goes too. We never know how to dress in the morning. The good thing about lake-effect snow, though, is that it comes in bands. There can be a huge band of it in just one place and on either side it can be nice and clear. You never can tell.

Well, of course if you live with weather like this, what you do is invest in a pair of good snow boots with treads like Goodyear tires. That's how you avoid it.

If you are just visiting and will never have use for such things outside of this trip, you step very gingerly and hold onto people wearing tire-tread boots.

Oh, and don't step onto any surface assuming it's just wet, because it could be "black ice" (thin and transparent) and you could go down like a ton of bricks!