Best Buy Not Carrying Raspberries Live

darlene

I went into Best Buy in East Brunswick today to buy the deluxe version of Raspberries Live... and didn't see it so I had customer service look it up on their computer. They informed me that the cd is only available online.

I had her look up who is carrying it and was told that NO STORE IN THEIR DISTRICT (which they said goes from Paramus down to at least East Brunswick, possibly further south) is carrying it at all. They couldn't tell me if any other "districts" of Best Buy are carrying it.

I reamed them out and told them Rykodisc said their stores WOULD be carrying it and they said maybe Rykodisc wasn't telling the truth!

I made them give me the phone number and address of their corporate headquarters and said that I would find out what was going on and promised that my friends and I would boycott their store until they carried the cd.

What is going on?! Maybe Al can find out for us.

:) --Darlene

I've been checking Best Buy for four weeks in Louisville. I've been told a number of things, depending on the clerk (everything from it probably hasn't been put out yet to it doesn't exist to its been deleted).

For four weeks I've checked the Louisville Best Buy stores and they have not had "Live On Sunset Strip" (in either Standard or Deluxe versions) - though they do stock Raspberries "Greatest" on Capitol Records.

I was told the album doesn't exist by a clerk that looked up "The Raspberries" on the Best Buy in-store computer two weeks ago (I check each Friday).

I went home after that encounter, checked their web site, and a search of "The Raspberries" did not turn up "Live On Sunset Strip" (though it did list five other Raspberries' CDs).

I then again searched at Best Buy's website, again on my home computer, for "Raspberries" (without "The" in front of the name) and the album came up as available online (only the "Live On Sunset Strip" albums came up, not the other Raspberries' CDs listed under "The Raspberries").

I considered this to be a problem and emailed Al K via this website, but did not post about the incident and did not get a response from Al (not sure if the email made it through, though the following week those entries online were corrected and featured the album cover).

This past Friday I went into Best Buy again. The clerk found the title easily, but told me the title had been "deleted." I said, "That's not possible. It was just released July 31st."

When I informed the clerk that it had been posted at EricCarmen.Com that all 350 Best Buy stores were supposed to have received at least one copy of "Live On Sunset Strip" (the Deluxe Edition), he was very helpful.

The clerk looked into the Best Buy orders database for this district --- all Best Buy stores as of last Friday that came up on his screen, maybe a dozen or more stores, all had "0" stock. The clerk said the computer was showing further that stores are unable to order because the warehouse they order from has "0" stock as well.

That "0" stock in stores and in the warehouse was true of both commercial versions of "Live On Sunset Strip." The very helpful clerk (he really was) checked that for me.

I was told I could order it online from Best Buy, though.

This past weekend, I wrote Best Buy corporate explaining the situation as stated above. Their email response time is supposed to be three days.

My response, five days later, was received yesterday:

Re: Product Assistance (KMM5091787I85L0KM)
Date: 9/6/2007 8:03:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time

Don,
Thank you for contacting Best Buy with your product inquiry. I'm Rich with Customer Care.

We appreciate your interest in getting the CD, Live on Sunset Strip from Best Buy. We are unable to say whether or not we will carry this item in the near future. Often, you can even pre-order upcoming items from BestBuy.com--a great way to make sure you're the first one on your block to get that home or entertainment product you're looking for.

Thank you for sharing your comments with Best Buy. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best Wishes from Best Buy,
Rich and the Customer Care Team

I spend thousands of dollars per year with Best Buy (bought my latest computer from them, too). I told them I am not happy. I doubt I'll get any further response out of them, though, since their stupid response email answered none of my questions or concerns (I had asked them "why" they weren't carrying an album with liner notes by Bruce Springtseen, which features five Cashbox Top 40 hits on it, which had gotten rave reviews in USA Today and Entertainment Weekly, and which hit most retailers July 31st?).

I wasn't going to post this - I was going to see what developed behind the scenes. But since Darlene is having problems with the retailer on this title, too, I thought I'd tell my story. One of these days, I'm writing a review on Best Buy's handling of this release unless things change.

Perhaps if enough people ask them why they aren't carrying the title, they might see that there is interest, or at least we'll see if they send the same generic email out that they sent me.

Don Krider :(

As I communicated on an earlier post, Ryko told me that Best Buy bought 500 pieces in mid August to be stocked in their top 350 stores.

When you break this down, it probably sorts out to JUST 2 pieces each in their top 150 stores, and 1 piece each in the remaining 200 stores.

If you can't find the CD - let best Buy know about it, just as Don and Phil (hey, you guys should get together and make some music - I like the sound of your names together - it has potential!), Darlene and many others have.

As we've discussed here many times, there's strength in numbers, and as you know we've spent many posts asking for the fans' grass roots efforts to get the word out. KEEP IT UP!!!

Your continued, consistent and diligent communications with Best Buy to stock the CD, Rykodisc to better promote it, with Rolling Stone and your daily newspapers to write about it, with your local concert clubs to book the band for a show, etc. CAN ONLY HELP THE CAUSE!

ROCK ON, BERRIES FANS!!

I visited the Best Buy in Harrisburg last week to see if they had any copies. No luck. So I went across the street to Borders. They didn't have any either. So I did a search on their in-store computer. It was available for order. So I ordered 2 copies for in store pick-up under a fictional name and contact phone number (yes...I know. I am ashamed) figuring they will just put them on their shelves when they come in and can't contact me.

I would love to go on tour with Don and everyone could hear us Everly Brothers sing our hearts out!

I did visit Best Buy in Rockford and nothing. Did not talk to anyone. I am leaving to go to Peoria and will check things out there in the next 24 hours. Hey Dar...I will be going through Metamora and Roanoke....How about that!

Phil

The trouble is BB, Circuit City, and even Borders are cutting back on thier stock. In fact, a new BB opened up down the street drom me a couple of months ago, and thier CD department is 3 rows! Hard to believe that when I worked part time for them in '94, the CD dept was around 12 rows. You could find ANYTHING there, even imports. Now all they carry is basically Greatest Hits albums for most artists. Any new releases are saved for Rap, Country, and whoever is the current pop blonde bimbo singer.

The days of walking into any of these stores and finding catalog or new releases by our favorite artists is over, Im afraid...

Jeff

The only stores I've found copies at, so far (though I haven't been able to check on this in the past 10 days), in Ohio ~ are Barnes & Noble, and a (I think?) local record chain called "The Exchange" ~ used to be "The Record Exchange" ;) I made sure to profusely thank the friendly clerks at BOTH stores, for carrying the deluxe and standard versions of the CD ~ only found the deluxe at The Exchange, though, along with the standard ~ at Barnes & Noble, all they had was the standard version (which I HAD to snap up, lol, though I already have the super deluxe version and the deluxe!!)!

I plan to check at our Best Buy in the next two days and see what they can tell me, hopefully I can get some info! I had checked BB within a week of when Live On Sunset Strip came out, and got the same story about how I could "order online" ~ which always frustrates me ~ LOL!

I found one copy of the 13 song CD at Borders in Rockford, IL and also one at the Barnes and Noble in Peoria, IL. The Best Buy in both Rockford and Peoria have not carried the Live On Sunset Strip CD. Kind of sad since we're talking about two of the largest cities in Illinois after Chicago. I have never seen in stock at a retail store the 22 song/CD and 5 song DVD.

Phil

I've been everywhere in my area and so far the only place I've found the cd was FYE and that was the deluxe version. After purchasing it there, I went back and their system evidently automatically re-ordered two more and I just purchased them as gifts for friends. I hope the re-order doubles again!

FYE didn't have the regular edition from what they said and I haven't seen it anywhere else either.

We have to just keep hammering away in all directions and they'll get on the stick.

:) --Darlene

I was at FYE in Kenwood Mall (Cincinnati) on Friday and they had 2 of the Deluxe versions. I spoke with the manager and he looked up his inventory records and told me that they have sold 16 copies and when they get down to 2 they automatically re-order another 3 copies as long as they sell at least 3 per week they try to keep 4 in stock.

I just purchased another deluxe set for the car -- (I'm leaving my autographed super copy inside th home so it doesn't get trashed) - got it at FYE in Waterbury, CT -- they have one more left, the guy told me they had 5 so the great news is they have sold three other copies besides my purchase. He says they will be bringing more in at the end of the week!