Another Rolling Stone without Raspberries!

Raspbernie

Considering the love Rolling Stone bestowed upon Raspberries in their prime, you'd think a mention of the reunited band's first new CD in 30+ years would garner a review? Well, so far no review. Not even a mention. Nothing. Nada. Amazing when you leaf through the magazine and see article after article on bands, acts and soon-to-be-forgotten rappers "gracing" its pages.

Well, it's time for the 'Berries grass roots team to be heard—write to Executive Editor Joe Levy and Senior Editor (and self-proclaimed Raspberries fan) David Fricke and ask 'em why there have been no articles or reviews about the Raspberries release! It wouldn't hurt to give a shout out to their NYC Highline Ballroom concert. Mention Bruce Springsteen's liner notes, the pic of John Lennon wearing a Raspberries sweatshirt. Spout on about how the "New York Daily News" called their back-to-back shows at B.B. King's in 2005 "one of the best 10 concerts of the year!" Heck, remind them that they themselves picked "Starting Over" as one of the "Best albums of 1974" and named "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" as the top tune!

Don't write angry e-mails. Be courteous, but be passionate. Tell 'em you want a Raspberries feature, and won't take no for an answer!

asklevy@rollingstone.com

askfricke@rollingstone.com

Bernie

I'd be shocked if David Fricke doesn't show up for the Highline Ballroom show. If he does, we need to descend on him and demand that he write something up for RS.

I ran into him at the Roky Erickson show at the Bowery Ballroom in April, and asked him about plugging that show in the magazine. (I had seen him in Austin in '06, watching Roky, and talked with him for a couple of minutes.) While he promised to do so, he only included it in an on-line column, and it never made it to the hard copy magazine. As you say, RS was always complimentary to the 'Berries (unlike Roky, whom they steadfastly ignored in the 60's/70's), so hopefully......

(Curmudgeon mode on)

Has anybody here actually read Rolling Stone in the last couple of decades? The magazine is about as valid a souce of information on music as a Hostess Twinky is an example of American haute cuisine.

I gave up on them years ago. The list of great albums they've dropped the ball on is staggering.

The question of "review copies" is a valid one, but then so is payola.

(Curmudgeon mode off)

While Rolling Stone is admittedly a piece of crap, and has been for years, they do have several decent writers who actually care about the older acts (notably the aforementioned David Fricke), and plugging Raspberries there can't possibly hurt the sales of LOSS....worst case scenario, it would have little impact; best case - more copies might be sold if they printed a very good review. What I'd be leery of - as in the case with Ian Hunter's last album, for example - a great writeup, but preceded by a rating of only 2 to 3 stars (on a 5 star scale).

"I hate to be so cynical, but... are you kidding? How could the Raspberries POSSIBLY be relevant to their target demo..."

Who said anything above about the 'Berries being "relevant" to Rolling Stone's target demo? What WAS suggested above is that it can't possibly hurt to contact them.....and if it could or can hurt them by doing so, in what way??? Will Rolling Stone somehow cause their sales to decline, or their shows to be cancelled? Just wondering.....(Worst case scenario, some of us will have wasted our time...and frankly, a lot of us already did waste a lot of time in unsuccessfully trying to get various stores to carry LOSS....)

Marc Nathan said:

I hate to be so cynical, but... are you kidding? How could the Raspberries POSSIBLY be relevant to their target demo...

If RS was only interested in covering bands in your suggested "demographic," which I assume means decidedly under 30 years old, why write about Springsteen, Dylan, U2, Van Halen, Iggy Pop, etc. Why do you think? Maybe because there are some more mature eyes still scanning its pages. Maybe for perspective, so when a current band mentions an influence, a younger music fan can understand. Maybe just for Jann to get his rocks off?

You can't think of any reason why it might be a good idea if Raspberries are written about in Rolling Stone?

Bernie

I've dropped them a couple of lines since July, but heard zilch in reply. David Wild, who wrote the liner notes to "Best Of Eric Carmen" (Arista, 1988) and who did a great interview with Eric in Rolling Stone in 1988  also, is still listed as a contributing editor of Rolling Stone.

I have been amazed at the magazine's lack of interest in a band they once awarded an Album Of The Year Award to ("Starting Over," 1974).

Don Krider

"....it is also true that the RS magazine that awarded Raspberries "Album Of the Year" doesn't exist anymore."

Very true...but neither do the Raspberries of 1974, at least as an active band (unless Michael & Scott are re-joining them...)!

The sad fact is - aside from Goldmine and several import mags - Classic Rock (put out by Mojo?) and Record Collector, along with some, shall we say, more esoteric publications - Misty Lane, Ugly Things, Backstreets, etc......who should be contacted about the Raspberries comeback/reunion???

There just aren't that many publications out there that: (1) deal with 60s/70s music/rock & roll; and (2) sell that many copies nation- or world-wide. The Rolling Stones and Spins of the world are naturally going to focus on newer acts - they can sell more magazines that way. This being the case, I think we need to contact and hit all of 'em......the worst that could happen is they'll ignore the band. Best case - a good review, more CDs sold, more tickets to shows sold, more shows....

JohnO said:

There just aren't that many publications out there that: (1) deal with 60s/70s music/rock & roll; and (2) sell that many copies nation- or world-wide. The Rolling Stones and Spins of the world are naturally going to focus on newer acts - they can sell more magazines that way. This being the case, I think we need to contact and hit all of 'em......the worst that could happen is they'll ignore the band. Best case - a good review, more CDs sold, more tickets to shows sold, more shows....

Right on John. Hit 'em all, and hope that they come to their senses and realize that there are actually some bands performing that STILL matter.

One of my friend's children signed me up for a subscription to Spin (god only knows why) so it comes every month and I got one earlier this week - I could only identify maybe 3 artists that were current and I certainly did not see any bands I recognized. I think I saw one or two reviews of "our contemporaries". I've noticed within in the past 5 years everyone must have gotten younger editors who have decided to cater to the teens again, it's too bad - Berries and Springsteen and other great bands just won't get coverage. Even Books A Million down here stopped carrying Goldmine!

The only place I can get Goldmine at all now is if I drive to Baltimore or Richmond! Since Tower Records shut its doors, I've been hurting big-time as far as getting music mags in any sort of a timely manner. The Local newsstands in DC just carry the likes of Rolling Stone and Spin, along with month-old issues of Mojo, Uncut and Q. The more esoteric mags like Blue Suede News, Misty Lane, Bucketfull of Brains, etc. - I generally pick them up every other month or so if I get to NYC....