Palace Theatre on Wolfgang's Vault

Linylee

Toooooooooo cool!!

Dig the great Wally Bryson @ about 3 minutes into Roll Over Beethoven!

Listen to the locomotive Jim Bonfanti drum roll that starts out "Locomotion"!!

I know they're great now, but they were great THEN, too! If you needed proof, here it is.

I do have a big problem, though - how can I keep from singing at work??

:):)

Yeow ... can anybody say HI-HAT? Lotsa HI-HAT on that recording, yes sir!

I have a copy of that show that was given to me maybe a week after it was broadcast, and it's a much better mix for sure. Mine's not stereo like Wolfgangs, but it has a whole lot less hi-hat :lol:

Great performance, NASTY mix.

It has really been enjoyable listening to this "time warp" of the Berries from 1973. I think there is one sentence that is really powerfull. Sometimes the talk has been about whether or not the Berries are deserving of being in the Rock Hall of Fame. This sentence speaks volumes for this to happen:

"Although the group was ridiculed relentlessly at the time, it is doubted that the power pop movement of the late 1970's would have developed as it did without them."

That is a powerful statement with the importance to rock music of the power pop movement!

What do some of you think?

Phil

I can't blame anyone for downloading this, but the unfortunate thing is that once again, Eric, Wally, Dave and Jim do not get a penny of the money paid for music they wrote and performed. Isn't that illegal? I just don't understand. Why is the RIAA going after teenagers downloading music on their parents computers at home when major companies are bootlegging music to the public? Does anyone else feel this is a problem?

Bernie

Bernie -

Yes! Absolutely I think it's a problem. I wish like hell they were the ones getting paid. And frankly, I'd be more than glad to bypass all the middlemen and legal mumbo jumbo and send another $10 to Raspberries - just give me the address.

I don't know anything about what went down contractually with Raspberries - did they get actually get their royalties stolen somehow? Or did they sign them away when they signed contracts without fully understanding what was in them, like so many artists do?

Is Wolfgang's Vault actually "bootlegging" these recordings? Do they not own the rights to them? Or are you talking more of morality rather than legalities?

In a perfect world, Raspberries would own and profit from the sale of these recordings. But, the band likes to control what gets put out, and they have VERY high standards. These recording certainly aren't perfect (never heard so much hi-hat in my life!). If the band controlled them, would we have gotten to hear them? I'd bet probably not.

So....I have mixed feelings. I hate them not getting paid, but I LOVE hearing the recordings. Is there some middle ground where both things could happen?

:angry:

Bernie,

I agree totally but until regulations catch up with technology we (they) have to accept it. In a way I believe that it can be looked at as something positive as well. Publicity attracts publicity and bringing attention to the Berries is a good thing. A taste of stuff like this can drive a new fan base to new cd sales. Who knows , a major label or concert promoter may even stumble on to that site and say why not put these guys on a real tour with some serious promotion behind them.

Also as a fan I hate to admit it but I bought that piece of sh*t cd "On The Beach" on line because at the time it was the only way I could listen to something 'new' by my favorite group.

There are more ways to measure being paid than money, (although its still a great way to keep score) and this may be one of them. We were dry so long that I appreciate anything that come out on the Berries. I think that its great to have this problem!

Jeff

I have so much trouble with this issue. I was always dead set against anyone recording these shows "unofficially" and illegally. Then, once on raspberries.net an extremely knowledgeable guy (he was like a genius as far as rock music history goes) gave me an entire rationale for being more accepting of it: he said that if it weren't for some of these recordings, some of the greatest moments in many bands' performances would be forever lost to history. He also said that trading, as opposed to selling, these recordings exposes the band to so many more listeners and increases their fan bases.

I don't know who this sweetheart was (didn't recognize his name, and don't even know if that was his real first or last name) but he was so intelligent, understanding and non-judgmental, classy and truly passionate about music that he convinced me. I wish he would become a member and post here because he would contribute SO very much!

:) --Darlene

What was being discussed at the time I'm referring to was "bootleg" recordings--people just bringing a recorder in to the live shows the band was doing and then making them available for others.

I'm still against selling bootleg recordings made at live performances because I consider every performance the sole property of the band; and feel they should be able to control not only what gets out there but its quality as well. Bootlegs are usually of horrendous quality.

That said, a great many precious moments have been recorded that would never have been preserved and a great many fans made through trading such tapes.

The internet having given ubiquitous availability of anyone's property has totally complicated the issue of bootlegs and distribution of musical performances at large, and I find that scary.

--Darlene

I might have been the guy you're referring to;) Many great performances would have been lost, and at this point, many bands are making money off people like myself that archived shows back in the day. Now, I'm starting to work on a DVD with a NY band after the singer asked me for my video recordings, and now we are going to bring a full setup to their show. The Grateful Dead actually solicited fans actively online, but then eventually screwed them over after getting all the best stuff from the masters, they then took it all offline. Some bands even let fans plug in in the 80s/90s, but places like Ebay pretty much stopped all that. I actually prefer live shows, you can see whether a band is any good, or just studio tricks. The Raspberries pass that test with flying colors:)

Linylee said:

Wolfgang's Vault claims to pay performers as well as songwriters. Is this not true ? Or just does not apply here?

Interesting. I didn't realize that the Vault was actually reporting to BMI and ASCAP. That's good and means Eric, Wally and any of the other songwriters will receive their share. I'm not sure the Capitol contract stuff for performance was ever hammered out between the boys, CAM-USA and Capitol, so I'm not sure royalties for performance are reaching Eric, Wally, Dave and Jim. But at least it seems this website is offering rare recordings with the intent of not cheating anyone. So, I take back my initial tirade and stand corrected.

:)

Bernie

Frankenberrie, Do you remember what name you posted on raspberries.net under? I can't exactly remember what name the poster used, but if it was you, thank you! It might well have been, because you have lots of class!

It's terrific that Wolfgang'svault reports to ASCAP and BMI--it seems they're the first I've heard about who do.

:) --Darlene

Hi Darlene, I posted under the same handle on both boards, also my buddy Pat was another one that posted a bunch in the thread you referenced, so it could have been either or both of us merging in memory, we both advocate for live music for fans. As they say on the BOC board, where trading is heavily encouraged, Always for trade and always for free between fans only! I was at both NYC shows, but didn't really make my presence known except to those that flat out asked who I am. For the record, I was the guy in the black Hawaiian shirts with the long black hair in the second row between Wally & EC both nights. And thanks, you're a classy koo koo kinda dame too:)

The whole audience is fun at their shows! And it's one of the few bands I go see where I'm younger than most of the crowd for once, HehHehHeh! Where exactly were you? Mitch was right in front of me, and there was one girl there both nights, and slightly over by Wally side there were 2 shorter girls singing & having a great time, I'm guessing that was you & your friend? The Koo Koo comment was a tribute to Frank Sinatra and his bebopping!

Actually, I was in about the 2nd row (if you're counting in rows) on the left side by Eric's piano, close to the tables on the left side.

I went over to Lisa (her husband is "BeatleJay," the guy who "jumped up on the table" at BBKings in New York, and to whom Eric pointed when he sang that line in "I'm A Rocker") during "It's Cold Outside." I made up this funny dance to it and knew that Lisa (and her husband!) would do it with me, so we were doing the dance and kind of cracking Dave up while he was singing. Lisa was right in front of Dave (and we both were during "It's Cold Outside.")

smile --Darlene