Springsteen on Raspberries

Raspbernie

Springsteen Hails Raspberries In Sleeve Notes
By WENN

Bruce Springsteen has given cult act RASPBERRIES a boost by calling them "great underrated power pop masters" on the liner notes of their new album. Springsteen, a longtime fan of the group, has contributed to the liner notes to new live album Live On Sunset Strip - the group's first official release in over 30 years. He adds, "Their best records are as fun and sound as fresh today as when they were released. Soaring choruses, Beach Boys harmonies over crunchy Who guitars." 

—Contactmusic, July 20, 2007

Hopefully, reports of Springsteen's love of the band will lead to more interest and more sales.

Bernie

The fact that Bruce has praised the band and his praise is being mentioned in the news media, is BIG news. It is one thing for him to mention the band’s name at a concert, one thing for him to write his thoughts in a booklet/cd that for the most part will only be purchased by Raspberries fans, BUT it is huge for his words to be broadcast throughout the various media forms. This will create incredible intrigue and curiosity among those who have never heard of the band, or those who have dismissed the band in the past.

I know that there are not a lot of Springsteen fans on this Message Board, so you’ll have to take my word for it when I say, the passion and devotion that Springsteen’s fans exhibit are second to none. If Bruce comes out and puts his support behind something musical, those words carry a lot of weight. The band could not ask for better publicity.

Marv

I'm a big Bruce Springsteen fan. I listened to the "Born To Run" album every day while I was writing "Boats Against The Current." When we sat down to try and decide who should write the liner notes there were various names that came to mind. Bruce was my first choice. It was very generous of him to agree to do it.

In the early days of our careers we worked with a lot of the same people at Record Plant in New York. I think there's a mutual respect between us that comes when a musician recognizes a little of of himself in what another artist is doing. I do think there's an "overlap" between the Raspberries and Bruce Springsteen, although it may not be immediately obvious to everyone.

Go back and listen to "Jungleland" and "She's The One" and "Born To Run." Then listen to "Overnight Sensation" and "I Wanna Be With You" and "Starting Over" and some of the stuff on "The River."

In my conversations with people over the years, I've come to realize that New Jersey "got" the Raspberries, perhaps more than anyplace else.

Bruce is a brilliant artist who deserves every bit of his success.

I can't think of anyone else I would have rather had write those liner notes.

ec

Very generous of Bruce indeed. I've been wracking my brain to recall when Bruce has ever done this before, and if my memory serves me right, there has only been ONE OTHER TIME when Bruce has ever contributed to liner notes: Southside Johnny's 1st album in 1976. He must REALLY love Raspberries.

Marv

I think the only other artist besides Southside Johnny that Bruce has "helped" in the past sre Gary "US" Bonds, when he had his comeback in the early 80's (Great 2 albums, BTW and "Out of Work" has to be one of the most humourous songs Bruce has ever written). The other is, ans bear with me since I cant recall his exact name, but I believe it was Joe Gridzicki. So yeah, this is huge that Bruce has given the band a plug.

Jeff

Jeff you must mean Joe Grushecky - from Pittsburg.

Bruce has 'helped' many artists over the years, but I'm quite certain (and the editor of "Backstreets" supports this assumption) that other than Southside Johnny in 1976, Raspberries are his first foray into liner notes writing.

Marv

Bruce Springsteen writing the liner notes of the new cd--HOW COOL IS THAT???!!!!

W O W !!!!!!

This is really thrilling and will carry a lot of weight with everyone in the business. Bruce is truly special--he was even as an Asbury Park "local" back in the day. We all just knew he would make it big. But he kept his great personality and generosity. That's rare. Thanks, Bruce--you're truly amazing.

:) --Darlene

For 27 years, I've been a subscriber to "Backstreets" magazine. I've posted on their message board, corresponded with hundreds of fans through the website, written letters and stories that have found their way into the magazine, and I've always mentioned Raspberries and Bruce's admiration for the band. Never in a zillion years could I dream that he would contribute to the liner notes of a Raspberries album.

Marv

While it's very rare that he does something like write liner notes, Bruce has always had very good taste in music...and not necessarily what one would expect. For example, he showed up at the August 2004 Little Steven's Underground Garage Fest at Randall's Island, NYC, and addressed the crowd twice - talking about how much he truly loves garage rock & roll, and gets out to see bands of this type every chance he gets, and he later introduced The Boss Martians' set. More importantly, he stayed backstage for a great deal of the show and watched about half of the 45-46 bands that played there....and talked with various bands' members. I believe he stayed to see the headliners The Stooges who played for an hour in the face of a pending violent storm (which actually never got too bad).

As just some of the acts included: The Pretty Things, NY Dolls, Electric Prunes, Creation, Chesterfield Kings, Nancy Sinatra, Romantics, Fleshtones (with Dave Faulkner of The Hoodoo Gurus), Chocolate Watch Band, Fuzztones, Muck & The Mires, Davie Allen & The Arrows, etc.....is it any wonder that a Raspberries fan would be at this show?