COURAGE

Kirk

Tonight at the HOB, the Raspberries had EVERYTHING firing on all cylinders. The crowd, which I would estimate to be around 500 strong, were really digging the band. The band was feeding off of the crowd. This crowd KNEW what the band was all about! Then, Eric sat down to play "I Can Remember", and there were problems with the in ear monitors. Time passed. Things were fiddled with. False start after false start, and still no monitors. It was absolutely heartbreaking. In desperation, a 10 minute intermission was taken to switch over to the wedge style floor monitors. The audience was very forgiving. The band was very apologetic. Wally got an opportunity to practice his stand up comedy. The group played on, sometimes with ear monitors, sometimes with floor monitors, and sometimes with no monitors. The more things went wrong, the harder Eric sang. I've never seen a more courageous performance in my life. I don't know how they did it, but they kept their heads up and sang their hearts out until the last chord of "I Don't Know What I Want", and they did it without the benefit of properly working monitors. It was a great performance, considering what transpired with the equipment. Frustrating, knowing how magically this evening started out, left to wonder what could have been. I love these guys, and really felt for them tonight. To their credit, they didn't lash out at anything or anybody, and they had every right to. They've got a couple of weeks to figure out what the problem is before Cleveland. When they do, look out Ohio! The band I heard tonight before the gremlins took over is *THE BEST* I have ever heard. Kirk.

So true, Kirk. I was hoping for a gremlin-free gig tonight, but the Southern California streak of Raspberries misfortunes seems to be running unabated. Losing "I Can Remember" was nothing short of an instant replay of the crash of the Hindenburg. Oh, the humanity! Still, they picked themselves up and carried on with good grace and conviction, never once leaving me with the feeling that I hadn't gotten more than my money's worth. The music was still top notch and the feeling that these guys really enjoy performing, in spite of a few technical glitches, was readily apparent.

So, a flawed but ultimately satisfying show, an incredible steak and salad, and the comaraderie of some very special people made this an evening to remember. It certainly impressed my cohort and two time HOB alumnae Anne, who declared that she preferred this show to the first one. Thanks to everyone who came, and a special thanks to the Raspberries. You guys are the real deal. :)

Very sad that this new technology failed...but I remember seeing The Cyrus Erie and The Raspberries before there were things like ear monitors and even floor monitors....how about NO monitors!!! The CE and all bands back then, had their PA columns and that was all. I recall The Cyrus Erie had a double set of Shure column speakers back in the day....and you know what???...Eric & the guys never fell off key!!!! I guess that's one of the things that were sooo good about the band...

Well, It's about 4 in the morning LA time and I've haven't been to sleep yet. Usually, after a Raspberries show, I'm pretty much on a high. Tonight's equiptment malfuctions are definately dissapointing, especially for us because we want nothing more than to give you guys a great show!!! The guys in the band are really feeling low,, and there feeling like they've let you down but,,, we'll fix this,,,, and we'll be ready for Cleveland!!! These things in this business happen,,,sometimes it's beyond our control,, but in fact, they do happen. I'm especially proud of the band on how we recovered from a situation like that. Well,, we're professionals,, that's what we do. I hope the guys don't get upset for me posting this,,,but,,, all we want to do is to bring the BEST Raspberries performance we can bring to you EVERYTIME the band performs!!! No matter what,, I'm still very proud of Eric, Wally, Dave, Jim, Paul, Jennifer, Ernie, Dougie, Adrianne, Bill, Kirk,, Al, Denise,, everyone involved in this!!! We'll fix this and we'll rock again!!!!! Billy Sullivan Los Angeles Dec 1, 2007

I'm on the phone with MJ right now and she asked me to post for her.

She said the show was GREAT !! She was so glad to see Wally smiling and rockin' out !! She said she wanted to play longer.

.....and she sends big hugs and kisses to the band and wishes they would tour to Florida !!

.............MJ

My job is now done !!

these are the inherent evils of in-ear monitors, i think. i've tried & used them for a while but dislike them & pulled away from doing so. was def disappointing for me to finally get to see them (1st time, came all the way from texas) & have the flow of the show undermined by the gear, but otherwise they were as great-sounding as i could've imagined & tore into everything they played. so what's w/ this LA HOB curse?! ;-)

Oh guys, please don't beat yourself up over the show...the technology worked great in NY and it will work again. You are the hardest working band that I have ever seen and you give it all to us on a regular basis. Beyond the technology, you are very gifted musicians and I am positive that came through loud and clear.

No worries mates!!

Sometimes the newest thing isn't always the best.

Sometimes the newest *technology* blinds us with its ingenuity and makes us forget that relying on good, old fashioned talent and our own ears and inituition are really the very best "monitors" we could ever have.

I didn't want to say anything on the board about the new ear monitors (and maybe they *are* the best thing to come down the 'pike, since I know SO little about techniology and the technological end of the music business), but I kept thinking to myself, "Raspberries are so cosmically talented, and they've always been spot on with their immediate adjustments, won't these things a) hamper their ability to REALLY hear--especially when I heard that they're mixed through a totally different board and won't be hearing what the audience is really hearing anyway? and :( won't it take away some of the spontaneity between them and the crowd, whom they probably now CAN'T even hear?

That said, I thought, "Oh, what do *I* know? They're probably fantastic." I still kept thinking that Raspberries "au naturale," the way they've always played, has to be the best.

You can't say "I Can Remember" was a disaster (as in, "oh the humanity.") The boys played it the way they always do--they craft an amazing jewel. I remember when Eric's piano seemed to just go completely out of tune on ICR during one performance and I was dying, but, again, it wasn't *Eric's* performance that failed, it was the technology.

Let's face it, technology FAILS!

Raspberries don't!

Were there problems? Oh boy, it really sounds like it. Was anything the fault of Raspberries or the road crew/technicians? NOPE!

It does sound like the boys and the crew really had AMAZING courage, which is what this thread is all about.

Problem performances, even INFAMOUSLY BAD performances for some performers, happen to EVERYONE. And they're GONNA happen because technology fails. People even make mistakes.

But ONE performance does not a disaster make. With the miracles Raspberries (and the crew and Overdubs) have all made happen, this is a minor bump in the road.

:) --Darlene

Well... I should be on a plane home to Wisconsin now, but they closed the airport because of weather!! :(

I'll give a longer review during the week, but like I told a bunch of people last night - These things will happen... It's Rock and Roll! Overall it was a fun show, and it was great meeting some more fellow Board members!

Tim

Let me add my voice to those who were at the show, and LOVED it despite the tech snafus. Eric was really getting frustrated sitting at the piano, kept shaking his head after the tech guys would try to adjust his earphone monitor. The other bandmembers were having the same problems apparently...but Wally especially was in the "let's just play' mode. the thing was to US they sounded amazing!!! Maybe "NEW" technology has gone a bit too far and it's time to 'analog' things again. The floor monitors I guess didn't work too much better, but the band just carried on bravely, apologizing....which wasn't necessary. I WAS disappointed Eric did't revisit I CAN REMEMBER after the break....but they did it last time out, so we've seen it live. It was a real treat to hear ALL BY MYSELF live....and my girlfriend and I were right in front of him about 10 feet away. It was the LONG album version, which was fantastic!! they did the old Choir hit too!! I loved the whole night! I felt so bad for Eric...he's a perfectionist. But they REALLY were amazing. The onstage patter between Eric and Wally was a real treat because it was so loose. They really are Ying Yang to each other. Wally did a great Sam Kinison during the technical scramble. Great show!! I'll post my thoughts about the Meet and Greet on a separate post. FANTASTIC NIGHT!!!! Raspberries Still Rock better than anyone!!!!

Hi Darlene

The disaster was not that the performance of ICR was substandard, it was, after a few false starts, most unfortunately omitted from the show due to technical problems. Really sad for me (and more than a few others) because it is one of the finest musical compositions that I have ever heard. It is a favorite for many faithful Raspberries fans and comes across beautifully in a live concert. Well, $@%& happens, but I just wish it would happen to a far less deserving band. I wouldn't want the Raspberries to get the idea that LA is bad juju and never want to return. Now THAT, would be a real disaster! :(

I was also dissapointed that I couldn't hear my favorite song, but I try to look at the glass half full! I got to go to a Raspberries concert, a group I've loved since high school and never thought I'd get to see live, AND I got a hug from Eric!! What more could you ask for? I also enjoyed meeting the board members, Anna, MJ,(Anna's guests), Kirk, Reid, Jay, Kyle, Marvin, Tim, Marlene, Jen, hope I didn't forget anyone. Rick, I don't believe I met you. Maybe next time! It was a great night!

Sherry

I wouldn't have minded a little "intermission" with Wally doing stand-up to fill the gap... Sometimes it's the things that don't go according to plan that you remember most fondly, as long as they eventually get back on track.

Did the guys play well and seem like they were having fun after the technical break? Or, did it plauge them throughout the rest of the show?

There was no doubt that the technical issues were stressful to some of the band and crew, and we were all really feeling badly for them. What could you do? They apologized profusely, but they didn't need to. The show was still excellent and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who'd say differently.

That's great to hear. Anybody who's ever been in a band knows that these little gremlins can pop up at any time. If it happens...it does bum you out....but it was great hearing that the guys pressed on and gave everyone a great performance. These guys have been at it a long time and they know how to handle these situations. A lesser group of musicians could really let something like that ruin their whole show. Hats off to the guys for making everyone happy.