Another Review?

MJ

I found this today (I'm not sure if it is new) - from Keif's Downtown Music - but I do not know who wrote the review:

The Raspberries - Live on the Sunset Strip

Okay, the 'Berries probably don't have any more hipster cred now than they did in their heyday. Back then, their sound, which cunningly, convincingly and sometimes originally synthesized the Beatles, Beach Boys, Who and Small Faces, was considered teeny-bop by all the addled beardies lost in the pot fog of blooze guitar and drum solos. Their loss. Today it can be yours. It can if you don't check out this record. Thirty years on these guys still sound absolutely great. Culling the best material from their four fine early Seventies releases, the Raspberries rock the house. Alright, a few of the harmonies augmented by musical extras add a tiny bit of cheese (and one or two of Dave Smalley's Eagles-y songs wear out their welcome a little quick), but for the most part the great songs and inspired playing rule the day. Wally Bryson masterfully combines the sounds of Harrison, Townshend, Marriott, and McGuinn. Jim Bonfanti is a monster drummer - the missing link between Keith Moon and Max Weinberg. And damned if Eric Carmen can't still sing his ass off. Are there better combinations of hard-rockin and power-pop tunefulness than "Tonight" and "Ecstasy?" I don't think so. These guys should be mentioned in the same breath as Big Star, but because they had more commercial success and fewer drug problems they missed out. Don't let the image nonsense burn you, this is really good stuff.

Another great review :)

Nice catch, MJ, and a pretty good review. I couldn't disagree more about the petite fromage remark concerning the Overdub harmonies. Thanks to them, we got what I feel is an accurate reproduction of what was on the albums, and probably the best live sound that I have ever heard. As far as Dave's contributions were concerned, I thought he really shined, especialy in Makin' It Easy. Wears thin rather quickly? I think not! Still, another great review to fork the naysayers with. Hey, we don't we put them all in a binder and send them to the corporate types at Best Buys. Maybe someone over there can read. :rolleyes:

It's a good review. Thanks, MJ.

I disagree with the criticism of "The Overdubs"; however, I thought that Dave's music was great when it wasn't that Eagles homage stuff. When Dave did his Eagles thing, it disappointed me. Dave's Eagles music was kind of obvious, and, because he wrote "Hard to Get Over a Heartbreak," and that wasn't derivative and it rocked, you expected more out of him.

Anyway, I digress. If someone wants to petition Best Buy, I'm game.

Yes I disagreed with the reviewers take on Dave's performance - Dave rocks! I did love, however, his great praise of Jim's drumming, Eric's singing and of course, Wally. It's just too bad that the rest of the country is not even getting a chance to purchase the CD unless they know to go to Amazon or to the official websites.... I'm sure there are more people out there that are fans that actually may not own a computer (or don't know how to use one, which I find horrifying) so they can't even purchase one in a store!

The overall review is good. He obviously doesn't get that the reason the harmonies were added was to duplicate live what they did on their old recordings. And I love Dave's songs, so I don't agree with his critique of them. But the review is largely fine. You found another good one. Thanks!

:) --Darlene