Amplifier Geek Question For Eric

MAM

Eric,

(or one of the roadies would know)

While watching the DVD, I notice that you have an older Vox sitting behind the Valvetronix that you're using. What is the older amp for? Sitting behind the Valvetronix, I would think that there wouldn't be any projection from it, but I can see that there are guitar cables plugged into it.

Just curious, thanks.

Hey Mam, I can answer that one. That Vox AC-15 belongs to Eric. I believe it's the same one he used at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame show in 2000. Being that I was off to the far left side of the stage, Eric was having problems hearing my guitar amp onstage. Instead of me turning up, or putting my guitar in his monitor mix, we used his Vox AC-15 as a monitor from my guitar amp. I ran a cord out of the line out of my amp into Eric's little Vox. That way, he can adjust the level of my guitar as much or less as he wants.

Ok Ernie, here's your chance,

Are you/have you had any "audio cut-out" issues with any of the 3 Valvetronix amps? I've purchased two of them (one used, one brand new). I actually have to lift them off the speaker cabinets a few inches and drop them in order to get a signal to the speakers. Happens most every gig. Repair shop can't find anything wrong (bozo's!). Sounds like a cold solder joint to me.

Hey Mam

I have a Valvetronix too, and although I haven't personally had that cutting-out problem, I have heard that it's due to the headphone socket on the back needing cleaning. Is it gets dirty it starts cutting out the speaker connection. Also, the speaker power selector switch gets dodgy very quickly, and also needs cleaning to avoid it cutting out.

The problem with MY Valvetronix is that the left channel doesn't pass guitar audio. There is hiss from the speaker, so the power amp section works, but the guitar signal doesn't come through it.

I only found out by accident in a recording session when the mic in front of the "broken" speaker sounded wierd and distant, and I realised it didn't work.

The amp still sounds fantastic, and in my recording studio virtually every band that record there end up using it instead of their Marshalls or whatever.

I've compared it directly to Vox AC30s and AC15s, and it does compare remarkably well.

Hi MrJason,

I LOVE the sound of the Valvetronix. I HATE the reliability of them. We've done the cleaning of ALL of the input/output jacks to no avail. It really acts like a cold solder joint. I can't believe that the repair shop hasn't been able to replicate the problem and I know that I'm not the only one experiencing these symptoms. At the moment, I just can't trust the darn thing. Hopefully the situation turns around.

To be honest we have not had any issues with the Vox amps on the tour other than the one that got smashed by the stage crew at the Denver Show (not ours but the venue stage hands). As we have four complete amps and since Dave now uses an Ashdown bass rig we have two extra amps.I always bring the extra heads to all the gigs and they are wired and ready to go in case there is a problem but to date, no issues. The model of the heads we are using is AD 120 VTH. If we go back out on tour I plan on changing the preamp tubes in the Vox heads and really going through each piece of equipment with a fine tooth comb. For the most part the equipment has been in storage since the LA show and only used for a couple of jam sessions by the guys which by the way were a lot of fun.

• Like 1