Singer Or Songwriter?

Lew Bundles

Hi Eric..

I really appreciate you always being around to answer our dopey questions... or at least mine. :lol: As a soon to be 51 year old 'male' I find it funny that meeting someone that has had somewhat of a huge impact on your life makes you feel young again, or in awe, or what have you.

Coming from a home where I witnessed domestic violence from a worthless father, I embraced the Beatles. I felt that I could hide in their music and it drowned out the beatings my mother had to endure. What did I know I was only 7?

When my wife surprised me in 2002 to see Paul at the Nassau Coliseum and he opened with 'All my Loving' I openly wept as I saw my life stream all the way back to 1964, and then flashing right back to te current moment.

When I first heard The Raspberries it was almost after the Beatles breakup and it filled a very open void for me. I got very close to meeting Paul but missed it by about 2 minutes.

I however did get to meet you and Wally, Dave, and Jim. I have to tell you it is right up there with the very special things that has happened to me in my life.

My question to you is an A and a B.

A) Do you ever stop and think of how your music has affected other people, and that you might be a very important person in people's lives...I mean your fans?

B) I don't know that you met Paul, but if you didn't, do you thinkif you met him you would experience the same thing that your fans experience when they meet you?

Thanks Eric!

:)

Personally, I love it that Eric is forced like all other parents to listen to what his kids think is great music. Maybe because my nieces (at 13 and 10) are as crazy about Hannah Montana and High School Musical as his daughter is. And they're related to Danny Klawon, so...!

I look on the bright side...at least they don't listen to Barney and the Wiggles anymore!!!!

Lucky for me that I have boys who don't seem as much into music as computers - LOL!

Though my first grader bounces around for Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me" and lately he's getting into the live version of "I Wanna Be With You". So hopefully this will keep him busy until Hannah and HSM disappear (fingers crossed very tightly). I was also shocked to learn that a fifth grader in my other son's class is doing a biography project on one of the Beatles. Maybe there's hope for future generations.

Speaking of the Rasperries' live disc (I hope you don't mind me going off thread here), as I mentioned to Bernie - it's an AMAZINGLY GREAT disc, and the first "new" music that I've purchased and can listen to the ENTIRE album (trust me, a major accomplishment...). The mixing and sound is fantastic!

A big THANKS to all who were involved in making it possible!

Trindy said:

Personally, I love it that Eric is forced like all other parents to listen to what his kids think is great music. Maybe because my nieces (at 13 and 10) are as crazy about Hannah Montana and High School Musical as his daughter is. And they're related to Danny Klawon, so...!

I look on the bright side...at least they don't listen to Barney and the Wiggles anymore!!!!

Like you Trindy, I have nieces and this is where I'm learning about "today's" music. I too am soooooooooooo over Barney. My, that purple thing was in my face every time I would baby sit them. My youngest niece Katharyn, who is 16, loves music from the 50's up until today. Therefore she also shares my music from the 70's. Of course for me it's a joy as she is the daughter I would have loved to have.

When she first heard I was going to Cleveland to see the Raspberries, I let her hear Let's Pretend and then Go All The Way. She looked at me with these big wide eyes and said "Teta (that mean Aunt in Lithuanian), does he mean what I THINK he means?" I said, "Yes honey, I think that's what he means." Then she said, "Well, I hope they're married!" And she giggled. Yeah, if she can stay that innocent...we won't have a problem with her! :P

Wendy

Here's my personal theory. Each generation has to find some music that their parents hate. That's part of growing up and breaking with the past. It also explains rap and Marilyn Manson. I've come to appreciate the Hannah Montana records my daughter loves for their production values, and some of the songs are actually 'ok." In addition, Miley Cyrus is a genuinely talented girl. She deserves her success. I can think of a lot worse things my kids could be listening to!

ec

Eric Carmen said:

Here's my personal theory. Each generation has to find some music that their parents hate. That's part of growing up and breaking with the past. It also explains rap and Marilyn Manson.

Absolutely !

I'll give you one obvious hint...

When you really hate something they are listening to, ask them to turn it up and make sure you are playing it when their friends are around.

They will move on quickly

;)

Both of my girls 11 and 8 LOVE Miley/Hannah and HSM. It's so funny to watch them when they hear the beginning of the songs - they just freeze in their tracks and listen or they will come running to where the TV is and stand absolutely still.

It may seem a little odd, but I like the soundtracks to both of the HSM movies and Hannah Montana. Both have very catchy lyrics and music.

HT