NGFILA Is On My Spring Concert

darlene

Hi, Eric! I have a string octet (3 first violins, 2 second violins, a viola and two cellos) playing the arrangement you gave me permission to do of NGFILA on the Spring Concert in one of my schools. Not only do the kids (and everyone else who hears them rehearse) love the song, but it presents the perfect opportunities to educate the kids, and the concert audience as well, about Carmen and Raspberries music.

Since I teach in the hall in that school (we don't have an instrumental music classroom), everyone who passes by (and that's EVERYONE!) comments about how beautiful the piece is, so I do a lot of "educating."

Do you have any comments or suggestions to the kids (they're Clayton's age--10 going on 11) about playing the piece? They'd be thrilled to get a message from "the composer" that I could read them on the evening of the concert, if you read this in time. (The performance will be May 13th).

Thanks for your consideration.

:) --Darlene

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
darlene said:

Hi, Eric! I have a string octet (3 first violins, 2 second violins, a viola and two cellos) playing the arrangement you gave me permission to do of NGFILA on the Spring Concert in one of my schools. Not only do the kids (and everyone else who hears them rehearse) love the song, but it presents the perfect opportunities to educate the kids, and the concert audience as well, about Carmen and Raspberries music.

Darlene!

How terrific! The violin is by far my favorite instrument and NGFILA, OMgosh! I love that song. :wub: How many times have we all swore we'd never fall in love again?! And to be bringing this music to the little ones...well, that rocks! Break a leg!

Wendy

The kids really love it and so does anyone who hears it. I got observed by my new boss today and he was just sitting there with his laptop until my octet played it. I was conducting it and he stood up after the first phrase and was looking over a student's shoulder into the music to see what they were playing.

Happily, they've done an amazing job at interpreting the dynamics and their performance sparkled. He said the kids sounded "exquisite"!

They did.

What a great piece to have kids play for an observation!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking, Sue. NGFILA was the hit of the evening! The kids really outdid themselves on all of their music, but Eric's piece really stood out! The kids brought out the harmonies beautifully and interpreted way beyond their years. And the payoff was that all of my students said it was their favorite piece. They all asked, "Can WE have the music too?!" "Of course!" I told them!

I just gave my fifth and final Spring Concert (I conducted the District Elementary Orchestras and then gave a Beginners and Intermediate Spring Concert at each school), so I'm totally exhilarated that each went beautifully, and especially that they're all done!

My strings at one school will play a movement from Peter Warlock's Capriol Suite at their fifth grade graduation, but that's only one piece. WHEW! Always good to be done with all the concerts, but even better when some Eric music is presented!

Whew indeed, girl! I'm delighted it has all gone so well for you. Whaddaya say - want to music direct a bunch of us long distance for our pseudo-chamber music group the next time we have a WAB or some other reason to get together?

Seriously - relax a bit now. You've earned it well!!

S*