Favourite Soul/R&B Artist

marvin

And then of course, harkening back to "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'" by the Four Tops, an R & B group that managed to keep all four original members together for a little over 40 years until one of them passed away in 1997 or 1998. 

(Sorry, Mr. Carmen, your version is very nice, but the Four Tops do it for me on " Baby, I Need Your Lovin' "  ^_^ )  They have always been one of my faves to listen to, especially "Reach Out I'll Be There" ---  the Four Tops really were the tops!

AnneNR

6  6
__/

• Like 1

On 5/31/2014 at 11:07 PM, MikeWNY said:

I love this performance of I Can Dream About You on the Letterman Show. Hartman puts much more of an R&B interpretation into this than the track version had although I like that rendition as well.

OMG !!  Great performance!  That was sooo 80s --- I LOVE IT!!  And that lady sax player, boy, can she really blow that instrument, or what ?!!   

Here's a song I can see Mr. Carmen taking on with his smooth vocals. :cool:   Mr. Carmen got some soul in him, too. :D

AnneNR

6  6
__/

• Like 3

There are SOOOOO many great soul records, I didn't even know where to begin. How about Aretha's version of "I Say A Little Prayer." Possibly my favorite Aretha record of all time. 

I had the privilege of working with Lamont Dozier, back in the 90's. We wrote a song together. Wonderful guy. Amazing history and catalogue.

In an interview with Mojo magazine ( a Brit publication, I think ) where they asked a number of highly esteemed songwriters what they thought the "best single of all time" was, " Lamont answered "All By Myself," by Eric Carmen.

Now THAT'S a "pinch me" moment!

• Like 12

Sometimes I think this genre from the 60s and early 70s is the best sounding music out there:

"Too Late To Turn Back Now", Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose

"Oh Girl", Chilites"

"Let's Stay Together", Al Green
"Still In Love With You", Al Green

"I'm Stone In Love With You", Stylistics

Man!..

• Like 2

On 6/2/2014 at 0:00 PM, Matthew C. Clark said:

100 Proof Aged In Soul - "Somebody Been Sleeping" (1970) also done by Foghat (from 1979 "Boogie Motel") is a favorite of mine that doesn't get any Michigan airplay though.  Matt 

GoOd LoRd  ---

I had forgotten that song!! so cool !!  Never knew the title or who did the version I remembered until this post --- THANKS FOR THE REMINDER, IT WAS GREAT !!!   Foghat was pretty good, too, but I REALLY like the "100 Proof (Aged In Soul)" version best.  :D:D:D

Here's a few that always put a smile on my face:

• "Show & Tell" by Al Wilson
  • "Where Are All My Friends?" and "The Love I Lost" by Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes (lead vocal by the Amazing Teddy Pendergrass)
  • "Since I Lost My Baby" by The Temptations (lead vocal by the Mighty David Ruffin)
  • "Neither One Of Us Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye" by Gladys Knight & The Pips
  • "I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan
  • "Never Knew Love Like This" by Alexander O'Neal & Cherelle
  • "Fire & Desire" by Rick James & Teena Marie
  • ANYTHING sung by Levi Stubbs
  • "Groovy People", "Lady Love" and "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" by Mr. Lou Rawls

... geeze, I can go on all night here...

• Like 2

Lou Rawls --- the consumate performer!!! Sorely missed. 

Hubby went to the Circle Star theater out here in the San Francisco Bay Area (it no longer exists) to see Mr. Rawls. 

To show you how much he loved performing, another female singer was to do her show on the same bill with Mr. Rawls --- and for some reason, she couldn't perform, so Mr. Rawls sang for the crowd in her time slot in addition to doing his own.

The crowd just loved it!!!  He wanted to make certain the audience had all the time scheduled filled for them as contracted, so he covered for her. (Hubby can't remember who the female singer was)

Levi Stubbs, YEAH! leading the Four Tops --- always a pleasure :D  . . . and will also be missed very much.

AnneNR

6  6
__/

• Like 1