Favourite Soul/R&B Artist

marvin

As great and influential as Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye were...could you imagine how incredible they would be now?

Their talent and looks would blow away anyone in that genre today both from a musical and marketing standpoint. Who would be their competition...Chris Brown? or Usher? Puleeeeze!

In fact I think it was Nike that was using a classic Marvin Gaye performance of the National Anthem in a recent ad campaign.

John

Eric Carmen said:

Well, if Aretha Franklin doesn't send shivers down your spine, you're dead. I loved Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye,as well.

Thanks for the response Eric. Certainly no denying Aretha or Marvin Gaye. Regarding Sam Cooke, I recommend people listen to Sam's pre-Pop music to get an even better appreciation of the man's talent.

Listen to Aretha's version of "I Say A Little Prayer. The funny thing about absolutely brilliant performances is they get you every time. Even after thirty or forty years, they still work. It was one of the first 20 songs I put on my iPhone. Turn it up loud, it will stir your soul.

I love the original by Dionne Warwick, but Aretha takes it to another level.

• Like 2

Favorite Motown records, hmmmm....That would be a very long list.

Most everything by Sam Cooke. Most everything by Marvin Gaye. A lot of Aretha's recordings were just incredible. She's got such a great vocal instrument, like Barbra Streisand with soul, I loves me some Wilson Pickett and Arthur Conley, I totally loved The Blossoms, a lot of The Supremes' records ( Holland-Dozier-Holland were a mighty good team ) Desmond Dekker, The Essex.......this list could go for a loooong time!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

The absolutely DELICIOUS Delfonics  ----  "La LA Means I Love You"   melts me at the knees EVERY time.

The wonderful Eddie Holman --- "Hey, There Lonely Girl"... and just about ANYTHING the Stylistics came up with !!!!

SLOW DANCE FEST !!   SLOW DANCE FEST !!   SLOW DANCE FEST !!    yeeeaaaahhhhh!!!!   :wub:

AnneNR

6  6
__/

• Like 1

Almost forgot--once again-- the DELFONICS   "Didn't I Blow Your Mind (This Time)" circa 1969

--for this one, I had one of the coolest 6th grade teachers ever -- Ms. Webber -- in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1969. 

This 45 record was played quite a bit during recesses on the suitcase-type player in class when it rained outside.  The 11 and 12 year old guys in class would slow dance with the girls, full body contact, and near the end of the song would lean back at the pelvis lifting the girl about a foot off the floor for a "better feel". 

The boy I had a crush on at the time asked me to dance, and he did the lift thing, but I freaked and just about choked him with both arms tight around his neck, so afraid he'd drop me!  He just laughed a little, and set me back down gently.  Boy, did I get an anatomy education that day!

Past that time, this was one that stayed with me because of the lyrics and the wonderful mood the melody and instruments evokes in me whenever I hear it.

AnneNR

;)   :D

• Like 1