Barry Manilow...Controversial?

ira

Eric-When I think of controversial figures I think of President Bush,Dick Cheney,Al Sharpton,Bill O'Reilly,Keith Olbermann,Marilyn Manson,...and in some crazy way...Barry Manilow.

Here's a guy who some people treat as a "Punchline"...Others adore...and his concerts are wildly popular.

IMHO there is no disputing his talent and yet though I like him alot even I find myself sometimes confused.

His very succesful albums featuring covers of 50's 60's and 70's songs NEVER/EVER surpass the originals!

Yet may of his hits...Both authored by others and written or co-written by him can really move me.

To me-

"Even Now"...A song co-written by Barry and Marty Panzer is such an incredibly,articulate, bittersweet,beautiful,credible, and poetic song about an old love that still matters that it rates with such great songs as "Another Auld Lang Syne","Since I Fell For You" and your own "The Way We Used To Be" and "She Remembered".

Eric..Barry was your labelmate.

Could you please share your thoughts re' Barry Manilow?

Thanks as always and Happy New Year-Ira.

Nope...Don't remember...If I thought this was in any way "Controversial"..I wouldn't've posted it...I'm one of the least "Controversial" people on this site.

Perhaps that last post to which you refer was hostile and/or cynical which my post obviously is not.

I frankly find Barry Manilow's career fascinating and I'd love to hear Eric's input!

People have gotta stop reminding people that "This post shoulda been posted under this topic or that topic".

Or..."We already discussed this in 1952"

This site is fun...It's not supposed to be Yeshiva or Catholic School...Sheesh!

"Let It Be"-Ira.

ira said:

This site is fun...It's not supposed to be Yeshiva or Catholic School...Sheesh!

"Let It Be"-Ira.

My Catholic schooling was fun, thanks.

I think in some other thread Eric mentioned that he didn't like Clive Davis trying to turn him into Arista's 2nd Barry Manilow.

I didn't have the nun / priest experience for teachers that those older than me had, maybe that's why I've got nothing bad to say about my schooling.

Back on to the subject: I have a few of Barry's early albums, including a picture disc (remember those?) of his "Greatest Hits", and I quite enjoy listening to the music. However, the farther Eric went from Barry's Arista sound, i.e. the "Tonight You're Mine" album, the happier I was.

I met Barry on several occasions (usually Clive's famous "pre-grammy" parties) and he was always very nice. He's a very talented guy who understood that he had to subvert some of his own instincts in order to win at Arista.

He realized you can't fight with Clive and win, so he made the proper adjustments and became a superstar.

I just couldn't play the game.

ira said:

Fun in Catholic School (or Yeshiva for that matter)...Reminds me of a Manilow tune..."It's A Miracle"! 

I loved Catholic school too! GREAT education. We had the coolest nun ---Sr. Maryann Gacina who let us sing "Mandy" in choir.

I also remember walking up to the doors of Pope Paul VI HS in Haddon Twp., NJ with my sister, and then her ditching me to go off with her boyfriend from public school. I was always covering for her. She's still fun and crazy...ask Bernie, he had to put up with both of us at dinner while in LA. :blink:

This is now my 3rd school year of teaching at a Catholic school. I am very sure that times have changed in many ways since the old days. It is a nice place to teach.

We may go see a movie that intrests me about a Catholic school called "Doubt". It has Meryl Streep as a nun (probably the principal). It takes place in 1964 as our nation is going through a lot of changes and so is the school. Has anyone seen it?

Phil

Eric...Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Wendy...I didn't realize you were once a South "Jersey Girl".

For those who don't know..."South Jersey" is sorta a suburb of Philadelphia (I lived in Philly for 3 years and loved it!)...And North and Central New Jersey are sorta suburbs of New York City.

This is a major reason that there are so many jokes about New Jersey.The Northern part is dwarfed by NYC and all media (almost) T.V.,Radio etc...is from New York.Southern Jersey gets dwarfed by Philadelphia and has the same lack of media exposure and identity.

New Jersey Indignity #2...

There're no big parcels of land available in Manhattan...So The Football Giants and Jets play on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel in or around East Rutherford New Jersey...AND both teams maintain the names N.Y. Jets and N.Y. Giants 'cause that's where they originally were from...and for marketing and prestige reasons as well.

Jersey's license plates should read..."The Rodney Dangerfield State".

We truly get "no respect"!

Hey thanks for reading my latest tangent...And now back to Brooklyn's own...Barry Manilow!

-Ira from Brooklyn OOPS! :D ...I mean from New Jersey!

ira said:

Wendy...I didn't realize you were once a South "Jersey Girl".

...And now back to Brooklyn's own...Barry Manilow!

Forget Barry, back to Jersey!

Yes, I was a South Jersey girl for 2 whole years...1976 - 1978...some of the best times in my life. I could see the skyline of Philly from the top of the CLOVER shopping center. When I went back there in '99 with my best friend, Tammi...the trees grew so much, we could hardly see Philly. :(

I went from being a South Jersey girl to a South Orange County girl when I was 16. :) But Haddon Twp. will always be apart of me....

Ok then...back to Barbara's boyfriend, Barry! :heartpump:

Darlene - Are you biting your tongue? LOL

Posted by Marvin:

"I didn't have the nun / priest experience for teachers that those older than me had,..."

Whatcu mean older, you young whippersnapper?

Ok, I'll fess up. I was taught by nuns for grades 1 -8 and Augustinian fathers grades 9-12. The education was great and enabled me throughout life to be successful. Back in the day (50s) the curriculum was college preparatory. I never got that far but the foundation was there.

Sorry. Ira, the thread has morphed. I like much of Barry's music but I don't have any firsthand knowledge of Mr. M. just secondhand stuff.

Hey Ted...It's o.k....I morphed the thread a little bit tootoo.

I never realized that my two "Lantzmen" (Again-Jewish for "Paisan")...Barry and Eric...had such a strong following from "Catholic School Kids" across the U.S.A.(Including some Really,Really OLD ones.) ;) -Ira.

Speaking of New Jersey, here is Bruce Springsteen's speech when he was inducted into the NJ Hall of Fame:

BRUCE'S SPEECH AT THE NEW JERSEY HALL OF FAME

Bruce Springsteen was inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame on May 4. Here's a transcript of his speech:

When I first got the letter I was to be inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame I was a little suspicious. New Jersey Hall of Fame? Does New York have a hall of fame? Does Connecticut have a hall of fame? I mean, maybe they don't think they need one.

But then I ran through the list of names: Albert Einstein, Bruce Springsteen... my mother's going to like that. She's here tonight. It's her birthday and it's the only time she's going to hear those two names mentioned in the same sentence, so I'm going to enjoy it.

When I was recording my first album, the record company spent a lot of money taking pictures of me in New York City. But...something didn't feel quite right. So I was walking down the boardwalk one day, stopped at a souvenir stand and bought a postcard that said "Greetings from Asbury Park." I remember thinking, "yeah, that's me."

With the exception of a few half years in California, my family and I have raised our kids here. We have a big Italian-Irish family. I found my own Jersey girl right here in Asbury Park. I've always found it deeply resonant holding the hands of my kids on the same streets where my mom held my hand, swimming in the same ocean and taking them to visit the same beaches I did as a child. It was also a place that really protected me. It's been very nurturing. I could take my kids down to Freehold, throw them up on my shoulders and walk along the street with thousands of other people on Kruise Night with everybody just going, "hey Bruce...." That was something that meant a lot to me, the ability to just go about my life. I really appreciated that.

You get a little older and when one of those crisp fall days come along in September and October, my friends and I slip into the cool water of the Atlantic Ocean. We take note that there are a few less of us as each year passes. But the thing about being in one place your whole life is that they're all still around you in the water. I look towards the shore and I see my two sons and my daughter pushing their way through the waves. And on the beach there's a whole batch of new little kids running away from the crashing surf like time itself.

That's what New Jersey is for me. It's a repository of my time on earth. My memory, the music I've made, my friendships, my life... it's all buried here in a box somewhere in the sand down along the Central Jersey coast. I can't imagine having it any other way.

So let me finish with a Garden State benediction. Rise up my fellow New Jerseyans, for we are all members of a confused but noble race. We, of the state that will never get any respect. We, who bear the coolness of the forever uncool. The chip on our shoulders of those with forever something to prove. And even with this wonderful Hall of Fame, we know that there's another bad Jersey joke coming just around the corner.

But fear not. This is not our curse. It is our blessing. For this is what imbues us with our fighting spirit. That we may salute the world forever with the Jersey state bird, and that the fumes from our great northern industrial area to the ocean breezes of Cape May fill us with the raw hunger, the naked ambition and the desire not just to do our best, but to stick it in your face. Theory of relativity anybody? How about some electric light with your day? Or maybe a spin to the moon and back? And that is why our fellow Americans in the other 49 states know, when the announcer says "and now in this corner, from New Jersey...." they better keep their hands up and their heads down, because when that bell rings, we're coming out swinging.

God Bless the Garden State.

Eric Carmen said:

Bruce is one in a billion. He is the bomb.

And he obviously has a lot to say! :lol:

Ahhhh come one now, if I didn't say it, someone else would have. ;)

Ok, Ok, he put my name in a song...therefore he's a bomb and a half!

Geesh, what do they put in that Neo-synephrine? I feel great! :)

Righty...back to Barry - Copacabana (Ok, who didn't dance around the living room in Jersey with their sister to that song?)

And Wendy...Let's not forget that "Brian Wilson" used that amazing gift of his to take the sad theme of "Teen Heartbreak" and make it sound positively exhilirating in the great Beach Boys tune named...er..I think...Oh-Yeah..."Wendy"...

"Wendy, Wendy...What Went Wrong,
We were together for so long,
I never knew a guy could cry,
Till you left me for another guy,

Oh Wendy, Wendy left me alone,
(Background Voices)..."Hurt So Bad".
He really had a thing for you ;) !

So appropriately Wendy you have a "Jersey Boy" (Bruce)...and a kid from California (Brian) singin' your praises..."Nice Goin'!

Here's the California Kid" doin' "Wendy"

...And then back to my buddy Barry from My own Brooklyn U.S.A.who never wrote a song about me.

(Unless I was the model for "Cool Rico" :cool: in "Copacabana.-Ya think?)

-Ira.