Cleveland Institute Of Music: Clayton's First Exam

I can feel your pride in your post, Eric. Congratulations Clayton! It's amazing how much of 'us' is passed onto our chillun'.

I experienced the same pride last week with my 13 year old daughter, who went through the NYSSMA (NYState Student Music Assoc) Solo Vocal competition. A 27 out of 28 with "Til There Was You". :) Being the Beatle-aholic that I am, I was enthused she chose that one on her own!

Ironically, she did NOT know there was a version by The Beatles! How funny. She sang the 'Shirley Jones' version extremely well! The only mark against her was on the 'sight singing' section. But my God, she's only 13....we'll take it!

My NYSSMA (25 years ago!) was for percussion...not vocals. But regardless, I'm beaming and proud. It's times like this that make all the diaper changing and lack of sleep at night all worthwhile!

• Like 1

Most impressive, Eric! Please give Clayton a big collective "attaboy" from the board. I remember my Czerny book very well, and while I didn't much care for the exercises, the nimble fingers that resulted were certainly worth the effort.

Reid

• Like 1

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, Clayton Carmen will perform the extended version of his father's masterpiece "All By Myself", accompanied by the Cleveland Philharmonic Orchestra." Hey, that sounds pretty good, huh? Congrats to the Carmen family; looking forward to more reports :)

Eric Carmen said:

.....was yesterday. He got an "A" and scored a 95 out of 100 with three tough judges. Dad was VERY proud and so was his teacher. He played a Bach Minuet and a Czerny exercise perfectly. The Carmen music gene continues.

...And he played it all on a TUBA! Or was it a piano? Way to go!

How many instruments is Clayton taking up at this time?

And which one does he like the best so far?

Tony, almost a year ago I asked Eric about the 'music gene' in Clayton. Here is what Eric said:

"The music gene IS there. Clayton is becoming a good little pianist. He totally "gets it." He's taking lessons at CIM, the same place where I learned to play."

So much for the tuba :lol:

Congratulations,Clayton....remember meeting me at Beachwood Mall about 3 months ago on a Saturday afternoon in the soap store?? I sensed that you were articulate and personable from your handshake and smile...Now Dad, take the kid and his friends out to a nice restaurant!....or at least for pizza!!!

Good job Clayton. The musical apple didn't fall far from the tree.

It's always a thrill to hear you child has tested well. I remember when my Scott was 8 y/o and tested 100% for rhythm. Needless to say he was a very good rock drummer for many years.

An interesting side note on the gene topic (at least to me - LOL). I never understood why I gravitated to drums as a youth (having had piano and clarinet lessons which went nowhere). When i was in my 40s I was given a copy of a book that depicted my Irish heritage (O'Neill clan). The book contained many photos going back many, many years (1930s, '40s & '50s) of folks in marching bands. To my surprise all the drummers were O'Neills. Mystery solved.

Eric, I am sure Clayton will make you proud as he progresses at CIM.

• Like 1