Songwriting Question For Eric

As you know, I adore the music, especially on your first two solo albums, which are completely different, in my eyes. "EC" is the greatest undiscovered pop masterpiece EVER with terrific pop tunes in the 3-4 minute range, (aside from ABM, but there was the 45 version of that, too)while "Boats" clearly throws caution to the wind with regard to 70's type AM tunes. I love them both!

Here's the question...now in 2006........

You are writing a song that you are really, really happy with so far. All of a sudden, you get one of those magical moments where the middle eight just flies out of nowhere and REALLY completes the song. Adding this middle eight, however, pushes the song out of the realm of what most people are conditioned to listening to, time wise, and pushes the song over five minutes. In your heart, though, you just know that the middle eight works with the rest.

Do you leave it alone and let fate take over or do you keep it out of the song (which is still good without it)?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

I definitely leave the middle eight in. The whole music business has changed so much that "singles" don't even have that much impact on album sales these days. Case in point: Daniel Powter (I think that's his name). "Bad Day" is arguably one of the biggest singles of the last couple years and his album hasn't gone gold yet (500,000 copies sold). ec

You know Eric, one of my biggest disappointments with "Boats against the Current" was that there were only 8 songs on the album. Back then, I was buying 45's for $1.00 each and figured I could have 8 songs for $4.00 while the album was selling for $5.99 (I think). Most other albums in the era had more then 8 songs....was it a matter of the songs on the album just being too long or did you not have any other "worthy" material at the time?

There were supposed to be nine. The magic take of "A Temporary Hero" got "lost" somewhere when the original producer left the project. I went through 46 reels of two inch master tape (with anywhere from three to five takes per reel) trying to find it, but it was just gone. The other song written at that time was "Hey Deanie" but I didn't think it fit with the rest of the songs on "Boats." I gave it to Shaun Cassidy who had just had a big hit with "That's Rock 'n Roll" and he went top ten with it. "A Temporary Hero" would have added another six and a half minutes to the album. I've always gone for quality over quantity. ec

• 4 months later...

I abolutely LOVE, A Temporary Hero. Just like Eric's song, I CAn Remember, I enjoy playing this song on our piano. I still have yet to hear a STUDIO version of it. I've only heard the DEMO version of Eric singing solo with Piano accompnymnt. I never knew what TIME FRAME the song was written. Actually, I thought it more to be with EC first album with All by Myself, but if infact it was slated for BOATS, it would have been epic. A Temporary Hero is beautiful. I'v always wondered how Jimmy Ienner would have developed it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Tony Cartmill said:

Eric was a lyric-writing MONSTER from 1974-1978... :cool:

That is patently untrue. Look, there was that whole Art Bell UFO/Carmen conspiracy theory that was broadcast last year, but there really is no conclusive evidence beyond the testimony of that hunter who got lost in the woods and lived on mushrooms for a week that Eric Carmen has tentacles...

I mean, I thought that whole thread was all played out by now.