The Bass

Angloberry

One little incidental bass lick I absolutely love is that little 4-note ditty that Eric plays on "Go All The Way" right after Wally's power chords leading to the verse. Those four notes are just as vital to me as the intro itself. It was loads of fun seeing Eric play bass on that tune when he performed it at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show. Eric was quite an accomplished bass player and admitted to really enjoying the instrument when we talked bass for Marathon Man.

Bernie

Bernie, It's also an integral part to the beat of the song. The Band I was in, used to do "Go All The Way" and that was probably the hardest part of the song to get right. The timing had to be perfect by the Bass player and the Drummer!

Not to interruput the thread, but just in case Eric wanted to elaborate on it...

As for Scott's bass sounds, it really puzzles me. I've only seen pictures of him with a Rickenbacker, but a lot of the tracks he plays certainly don't sound like a Rick.

Bass is indeed fun. And is also a "can opener for the brain".....I've noticed myself that if you are stuck on writing a song, and can't go anywhere with the keyboard or guitar parts, picking up a bass and looking it at that perspective surely opens up your mind.....

I think by the time we did the first Raspberries album I was playing a Hofner Club bass. It's pretty much the same sound as Paul McCartney's, just the shape is different. The "punky" sound is because it's not a very gutsy sounding instrument. You need a lot of outboard gear to make that bass sound good. It is, however, very lightweight and easy to play. Scott played a Rickenbacker, Dave usually plays a Fender. I think Dave and I originally switched instruments just to see what would happen. We decided to try it for a while and it stuck. e

Great! Marty, welcome.... Having just read Bernie's Marathon Man book, I'm all caught up on the Raspberries' formative years.... You've clearly got insights that are fascinating.... Hope to hear some of 'em here and there.

Best,

LC