Sounds like...

marvin

Eric I'm assuming that you had the Who in mind when you wrote "I Don't Know What I Want." Did you ever hear from anyone in that band about the song's resemblance to Who songs such as "Won't Get Fooled Again"? Do you recall what Ienner thought about it?

Thanks.

Marv

Marv - At the Los Angeles HOB show, Eric introduced IDKWIW as "my love letter to The Who", so I think your first statement is pretty obviously correct.

(NOTE: I also remember reading many years ago (and can't remember the source) about Wally being less than thrilled during the recording of the Starting Over LP, using words to the effect of "we sound like The Who on this song, the Beach Boys on that, and the Beatles on another....can't we just sound like ourselves?"

JohnO said:

(NOTE: I also remember reading many years ago (and can't remember the source) about Wally being less than thrilled during the recording of the Starting Over LP, using words to the effect of "we sound like The Who on this song, the Beach Boys on that, and the Beatles on another....can't we just sound like ourselves?"

Ofr course, on "The Party's Over," Wally managed to sound just like Free..

While I agree with the Wally/Free/Party's Over comments, I don't think these similarities have generally been raised over the years, primarily due to the fact that Wally's vocals sound nothing like Paul Rodgers....(unlike Eric sounding one Hell of a lot like Daltry on IDKWIW (and on "I Can't Explain" live, too), or like Rod S. on "All Through The Night", or the band sounding like the Beach Boys on "Cruisin Music")...

comparisons will always happen as long as people keep writing/performing..if the influences are there,u cant help for it to come out in the recordings..i remember many times john lennon being quoted "thats me trying to do dylan" etc...i'm sure all writers have gone thru this..no big deal really..lol,chris