"Lemon Go Lightly"

Don_Krider

Something I've always been curious about is what became of the "Lemon Go Lightly" commercial jingle Raspberries submitted for the Clairol product of the same name pre-"Go All The Way." I know it wasn't used by Clairol, so I haven't a clue as to what it may have sounded like, but I am curious.

It's briefly mentioned on page 72 of Bernie and Ken's "Marathon Man" book in comments by John Aleksic.

Eric, I was wondering what memories you may have of creating the song and of the recording (kind of a lost Raspberries treasure).

Don :)

A friend sent me an .mp3, so now that I've heard it, it is an interesting ditty, but those lyrics... eek! What were you guys thinking?

I have wondered why Maybelline didn't jump on "I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips" as a lipstick commercial ("Hi, I'm Jessica Simpson, and I wanna hear it from your lips..." she says, as she smacks her Raspberry lipstick coated lips together).

I checked the old search engines to see if Clairol still made the product --- all I could find were recipes for "Lemon-Go-Lightly" cookies!

Don ;)

We didn't write the lyrics. They were submitted to us as "copy". I fit my music to the "copy" and we recorded it (Blecchhh, I don't even remember where, must have blotted it out of my mind). It was supposed to be commercial for some new hair highlighting product. My level of discomfort trying to sing that drivel was right on the edge of nausea.The whole episode gives me a case of the heebie-jeebies! ec

Sorry, Eric. I was going by page 72 of "Marathon Man" where Aleksic says, "It was for a product called 'Lemon Go Lightly.' Eric came up with the music and lyrics and we laid down a pretty quick demo."

I like your music on it, and I'm glad to know you didn't write those lyrics. My favorite music of your's has always been where *you* do write your own lyrics.

Don :)

who loves lyrics like "sippin' on a scotch and soda, a shadow in the corner booth, so philosophic and drunk on grown-up truth..."

While on the subject of ads, is Eric getting paid for the rip off of "Hit Record" (I'll use his title) in the accompaniment to the current Downy Fabric Softener commercial? Every time I hear it, I wonder how they get away with it. The number of times they've aired it should amount to something.