Crowd Response

I was just curious, or if it's just me. When I was younger, going to a concert meant taking your life in your own hands :o But shows I've seen in the past several years seem a little "tamer". Do the crowds seem more reserved or is it just that I'm getting older :D (outside only..still young at heart :wub: )

Ronda

Except for some outside sheds, I think most of the tameness has come from the banning of "festival seating". In the 70's the entire arena floor would be GA, and they would sell reserved seats. Back then, I never understood why the cheapest seats, GA, were the closest to the stage. Always bought the cheapest ticket to enter the building.

Now as I'm parking the car I prefer the lack of anxiety knowing that my row 8, seats 10/11 are waiting for me, whenever I get there.

I know it seems like I was a wildcat, but it was just all in good fun. I was a good girl, but I had to blow off steam somewhere. Where better than in an arena full of thousands of screaming people?? Just to let loose for a few hours and scream till I was hoarse and all I heard for days was a ringing in my ears!! Never did the alcohol/drug thing....still don't.

Tony and Raspy....ROFLMAO!!!!! That's just too danged funny!! I never saw anyone trampled or anything serious accept folks getting squeezed against the rails up front, and this one time a young lady couldn't hold her alcohol...so she gave it to my boots!!! And that was at a Bad Company/Ted Nugent concert....Last show I attended up until a few years ago....took my son to see KISS....I was amazed at how differnt the crowd was. Concert goers ranged in age from toddler to 60+....Made for a nice show too. So I'm not complaining, just curious. Was wondering too what the wildest crowd was that Eric performed for.

Ronda

I remember the days of smoke filled arena's with firecrackers and M-80's being thrown down from the rafters. Drunkeness and Rowdyness were prevalent throughout the show.

I think things are tamer now a day's because events are policed a little better and the fines/penalties if you get caught, are enough to make you think twice.

I think it depends on the venue more than anything. We were at the U2 concert where no one even got up out of their seats. We all looked like we were in a college lecture hall.

On the other hand, we were at one - at a smaller venue (where they served alcohol) - and we were nearly crushed to death. I credit my awesome hip checking for getting me out alive.

I wonder if crowd response has any effect on a a performer? I don't know if Bono and band could see much of the audience with the bright spotlights, but I think I'd be really disappointed if I was playing my heart out and no one was responding.

Whenever I was on stage, I could always see past the spotlights out to the first few rows. Do you try harder to get the crowd responding if they are just sitting there, or are you more apt to really get into playing when the crowd is screaming, and grabbing for you?

Raspy....YOU SLAY ME!!! LOL!!!

Lost Control.....LOVE your quote!!! "One tequila..." VERY funny!!!

Looks like it would really bum a band out not to have the crowd on their feet...cheering and singing....I know that the band my brother-in-law is in....if the crowd is "slow to respond", they try harder and talk to the crowd....I've seen times when it would be slow and he'd go as far as getting up on the frame of his drum set and yell at the top of his lungs and go into this awesome drum solo....that usually works!!!

Ronda

I used to always put:

Phil's Taxidermy - you kill'em, I'll fill'em

Until I actually had people contact me for services.

Then, the years I was a genealogist / archivist, I was always:

Where there's a will..... I want to be in it

Now that I'm a mom.... somehow falling down drunk seemed appropriate??? I have no idea why that one appeals to me. Likely since the little rug-rat was born I haven't been allowed to drink alcohol. :(