Has Your Musical Taste Changed?

Bessieboo

My taste in music really hasn't changed much. I rarely listen to the radio..too much garbage being played. I still listen to the classic sounds, The Beatles, Motown, and of course, my first love, The Raspberries and Eric Carmen. But I also change from time to time to the sounds of the Big-Bands from the 40's and classical.

My tastes have changed within the past couple of years. I find myself listening to more symphony music. I still enjoy Eric's music, and I play his music alot. I also enjoy Hall and Oates.

As for radio stations, there is one in my hometown, Rocky 99.1. They play a lot of rock classics that I grew up with during the 70s. Rocky 99 also plays music from The Clarks. They are a band from Pittsburgh, PA. They are pretty good.

Speaking of musical tastes, did anybody watch the Billboard Music Awards? I didn't think it was that great, except for Nickleback winning a couple of awards. Most of the winners were pretty bad. I decided that if you are a great musician like Eric, you are not going to win.

Having grown up during the 50's and 60's I tend to go back to the original Rock and Roll stuff from time to time as well as some Do Whop.

Performers like Tommy Steele, Buddy Holly, Cliff Richard, Little Richard, Chicago, the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac are all part of my music journey and have no difficulty admitting to enjoying going back to their music from time to time.

Since Kiwi introduced me to Rasberries and Eric's music I enjoy that too. I think I have always enjoyed a range of music/styles so there is stuff from each decade I enjoy. The Beach Boys, early Beatles, Bee Gees carried me along as well.

Probably some of it like Duran Duran and Talking Heads is music that I heard via my teenagers and liked some of it.

I am still an Old Rocker at heart though...

Muzza :cool:

The biggest change is that I used to know almost all the songs in the top 40. These days I hardly know any of them. The main reason is the absence of disc jockeys on terrestrial radio (if you're lucky enough to listen to a station that has 'em) letting you know what song(s) they're playing. I think with satellite radio the name of the song/artist flashes across the receiver, but satellite and/or HD radio are not worth the investment to me right now.

The favorites I return to depends on my mood or what song I can't get out of my head. Last week it was Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees. Right now I'm in the mood for Darlene Love.

I'm playing catch up, too. I don't think my taste in music has changed at all, but I sure did miss a lot of good stuff. Thanks to several people on this board, though, I'm learning about, and loving, some great stuff that never seemed to have made it onto my radio! I tried country for a while, when I couldn't find anything else on the radio, but I'm pretty sick of most of what's on country radio these days.

I like the 60's, 70's and 80's and 90's, and 2000's lol

since then,"I Think I found Myself", loving dance, trance with romance, and euromusic.

Some of todays music, still, The Fixx, U2, Madonna. Bryan Adams, Cold Play, DJ Sammy (dance music, real good guys, this guy gets you dancing.

The Kings, Sir Cliff Richard, Raspberries, back together again, allright!

I like The Darkness, the lead singer, Hawkins quits the group because of a heroin addiction problem.

The group is on hold.

Paul MCCartney, Ringo, Elo-old music, right up to now, I'm hoping for some new songs from Jeff Lynne,

real soon.

That's all for now.

In the early 1970's, it was Pop-Rock/Soul/Motown and nothing else. In the mid-1970's I REALLY got into the California Rock of the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, etc. From there I found myself drawn to strong lyric writing, and thus found comfort in the words of those like Dan Fogelberg. By 1977, it was Bruce and more Bruce. Nothing else mattered, nothing else compared.

Over the last 10-15 years, I've gone back and re-acquainted myself with some of the classic stylings of those like Tony Bennett, King Cole, a lot of jazz and some Country. The only constants that remain are my love for Pop-Rock, Bruce, the Eagles, and Motown.

Marv

i graduated from college in 1979. In the dorm me and my buddies would be playing Fogelberg, Eagles, and Buffet. We really appreciated a song that was written on the guitar.

Al Stewart cam to ou college during Year of the Cat, wasn't a fan, but became one.

Having said that whether it was Saturday Night party or we were putting our speakers out the window over the outdoor basketball court, our turntable had vinyl stacked 10 high with the likes of Heart, Foreignor, Boston, Springsteen, Meatloaf, Billy Joel, Steve Miller, and the ever present double album.. Wings Over America.

SS

musical tastes do change the older u get,but what u grew up on will always be the main influence musically and spiritually..thus the magic of music..tis a good thing!! my favorites today are STILL the beatles..i simply cant get enough of them to this day...they boggle me mind still..alas,a hopeless beatlemaniac!!! lol,chris

For me-Being able to hear the many "Lost Hits"-now available on CD's and Legal Downloads has been "Ecstasy" (Hey-That's one of the "Lost Hits" I'm talkin' about.)

I love "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again","Forever Autumn"-Moody Blues/BlueJays Offshoot,Hollies...'I'm Sorry Suzanne","Gasoline Alley Bred","My Name is Jack"-Manfred Mann...It's been a real good time for us "Rock Veterans".-Ira.

Since I grew up listening to Hungarian violinists on the "Hungarian Hour" on radio, my overwhelming desire to play the violin must have been subconsciously planted long before I was 2 years old. I grew up on classical music and Hungarian tunes until I discovered The Everlys at about age 11, then my curiosity got me deeper and deeper into rock. That's "classic" rock, so my roots are there. That never changed. All the "classric rock" artists described here were my first love. Then, Raspberries and, "Whammo!" nothing ever was the same for me again. Nothing has grabbed me like Raspberries and Eric music. Nothing.

I loved Led Zep, ELP, Kinks, The Who, etc but Raspberries was always the epitome for me.

My musical taste, as a whole, is pretty eclectic. I adore anyone who really knows how to style a song: I've always loved Barbra Streisand and I adore Jane Olivor. Beautiful voices just capture me: Bocelli, Eric, Sarah Brightman, you name it. I love great classic theatre music and great jazz too. I guess I'm just into "great classic" anything that's stood the test of time. I am mesmerized by out-of-this-world talent in any form.

Nothing much has changed: I love Hungarian virtuoso music and the Italian Baroque/Age of Stradivari music I loved as a child, and of course, Beatles and Raspberries/Eric music. I'm always interested in exploring, including Philip Glass and the New Country, but my first loves still rule!

:) --Darlene