What Do Your Kids Listen To?

VAB5

Eric, what do your kids like to listen to?

My son is 5 and my daughter is almost 4. They can pick out Beach Boys harmonies within a few notes, McCartney and Ringo (not Lennon or Harrison, yet...), Wally's distinctive opening riffs, any Van Halen riff (love the Brown Sound! :cool: ), R.E.M., Geddy Lee's wailing, Elton John, and any of the popular Kelly Clarkson songs. It's really funny to see 20 kids at daycare milling around during the verses, then in unision jumping and screaming "SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GOOOOONE!". At night they like to fall asleep to classical music.

We're trying to instill a love for all music, and while my daughter isn't crazy about Van Halen, she can pick it out (daddy, that's your ringtone song!). XM is on all the time in the house and car, and we mix it up quite a bit.

VAB5, It's amazing how well kids can discriminate what they hear! I have no kids at home, only students in school. The vocal music teacher at one of my schools is bringing some Kelly Clarkson into her curriculum along with the classics. My students always love strings in rock. Every year someone asks if I can teach them Eleanor Rigby string parts, and I do.

I try to keep the rock I'm teaching them on the Raspberries side. They've heard "Waiting" and "Desperate Fools" Overture and think the string arrangements are "really cool." I tell them about the band and have had my kids listen to Rachmaninoff and ABM.

I arranged NGFILA for my students to play on a Spring concert (thanks, Eric, for granting permission through Bernie :) ) and it brought the house down. Many of my kids were at the Trenton Symphony concert when we did the Rach piano concerto and the conductor talked about Eric's music. My school kids are very much into Raspberries and EC music!

:) --D

Darlene, it IS amazing! My wife and I love music (we were both Band Geeks), and we try to expose them to everything. It's great to listen in on them just singing to themselves while they're playing. Or to hear them singing along to the new McCartney.

Sounds like we need more teachers like you to make the extra effort!

-Paul

My 5 kids range in age from 11-27, so there all over the map musically. I've always exposed them to all genres of music, but the one group that they all agree on is The Beatles. My only son Bobby, who's 15 has become my concert buddy, and is the true rocker of the bunch. He loves everything from The Raspberries to Led Zeppelin to Metallica. In the past few years he's seen...The Raspberries, The Bryson Group,The Choir, Ringo Starr, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Vanilla Fudge, Paul Rodgers, 38 Special, Blackfoot, Mountain, The Godz, Poobah, Left End, Ray Manzarek, Blue Oyster Cult, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Michael Stanley, Mark Farner, & others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Mitch

Ah, a favorite topic of mine!

It's funny how I didn't become a Beach Boys-aholic until just before my first daughter was born (1999). I always liked their hits (and if you dig Raspberries, you gotta dig Beach Boys), but I wasn't anywhere near as obsessed as I would become in 1999. At the time, there was something about the prospect of a forthcoming child that made the Beach Boys' happy, positive, harmonic songs speak to me.

The one that did it was "Surfer Girl." I put it on during a fussy moment just after my daughter got home from the hospital. When the sound of those great harmony vocals came on, she instantly stopped crying and listened. Really listened. After that, I played "Surfer Girl" often, and EVERY time it came on, she'd get this wide-eyed look and hum or sing along (as much as babies can sing, anyway).

I played her "God Only Knows" a lot, too. Once, when she was not quite 2, we had a 30-minute "God Only Knows"-a-thon because she'd say "AGAIN!" every time it ended, and I'd have to hit the Repeat button.

I also remember playing her other melodic songs, often with nice harmonies: "Hushabye," "Don't Worry Baby," "Kiss Me Baby"; Raspberries' "Let's Pretend" and "I Saw the Light"; and the Beatles' "All My Loving" and "Ob-La-Di." And she LOVES "Hello Goodbye," "Golden Slumbers," "Hey Jude," and, believe it or not, "Wild Honey Pie."

Now, my other daughter (b. 2002) was slightly fussier, so I needed an extra go-to song (besides "Surfer Girl") as a calming influence. So the Beatles "If I Fell" became her song. Perfect harmonies, perfect melody -- it's as good as it gets.

She also likes the 'berries' "Drivin' Around" and "I Wanna Be With You"; the Beatles' "Bungalow Bill"; John Stewart's "Runaway Train" and "Sweet Dreams Will Come" (with Nanci Griffith); and the Beach Boys' "Do It Again" (she calls it "the robot song" because of the intro) and "Help Me Rhonda."

And like VAB5's kids, mine usually fall asleep to classical music.

So, as my two daughters taught me, music can soothe the savage baby! (And then they become fans. The 6-year-old can tell a Paul song from a John song!)

Amazing stuff. What LC described is also similar to our family. When the kids got to see Eric at the Taste of Minnesota back in 2000, they really enjoyed that moment. When we went to Waukesha, my daughter and son both knew what the Raspberries were/are all about. It's great that families out there are taking the time to ensure a total appreciation of "our times."

Anthony and Jeff Wiggle were in an Australian band in the 80s named the Cockroaches. Several of Anthony's brothers were in it too. I bought a copy of their Best Of CD, and many Wiggles songs are based on Cockroaches songs. It's pretty cool.

Wiggles is one of the kid-targeted bands I really don't mind listening to! We even went to a concert.

I'm a Chicago girl and we are very loyal to our hometown bands (or bands that did exceptionally well here.) You can bet my kids have been raised hearing a lot of Cryan' Shames (oh how I LOVE them!), New Colony Six (still a summer favorite when Ronny Rice tours), Buckinghams, Ides of March... My husband remembers going to see Styx and Kiss when they used to play his high school and Cheap Trick much later.LOL

Now if we're going outside of the city, they know a lot of my other favorites: Turtles, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Monkees, Sam Cooke...

My girls are over 18 and they listen to everything from Hard Rock to Jazz.

My eldest Marie is singing in a duet with her long time friend Jessica. They write their own stuff and are now in the studio recording a demo. Both play guitar, piano...and Jess is also a dynamite violinist. Marie credits her awesome ear for harmony to having music playing in the house constantly. The staples being the Beach Boys, Beatles, Raspberries, Eric Carmen, Del Amitri, Bay City Rollers and of course the Partridge Family! All killer harmonies and melodies...

bahooey