Impact of "American Idol" on Music

Eric is right! (Imagine that) "AI" has way more upside than downside for the music business. "AI" is almost a wonder drug to battle the rap and hip hop cancer that has plagued the American music scene for the last 20 years. Sure, the drug is a bit too synthetic and sweet, but it is doing the job reminding us how we have been neglecting well written music lately, in favor of "Urban Attitude Electronic Crap!"

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see him, but Clive is certainly "of an age" (we'll *all* get there one day!) when medical things can happen in the blink of an eye. He may have had a TIA (small stroke). At his age, even the little things can "get ya."

There's also something called "Bell's Palsy," in which one side of the face becomes temporarily paralyzed, and that can happen, at any age, from stress. One teacher I know developed it at age 24 before her wedding. The way you mention his face being in one scrunched up position, it sounds either like a mini-stroke or Bell's.

Or maybe it's just stress. The music biz isn't exactly a relaxing environment...

:) --D

Bob Allen said:

..what was the deal the other night with Clive Davis? His face is all pinched up, as if perpetually smelling a fresh cat turd. I would be scared to run into him in a dark alley (for a number of reasons).

Bob, Bob, Bob... One little affair with Bea Arthur in the late 60's, and you will never forgive the Clive-ster...

Let it go man, let it go :angry:

I know this is a little off the wall..but I was listening to the song last night, and I think Katharine might do a nice job singing "The Way We Used To Be" spin (of course, it could NEVER match the original..!!)

Who'll be watching with me tonight ??? :)

I'm not sure but I recall that tonights show they were each going to sing 3 songs, there is a disco theme, but also that one will be their future single.

I guess they get writers submit original songs from everywhere, over 200 (Eric, you snooze you lose). I did not know that they estimated about 90% are written with the show in mind. The producers sift through them, with certain contestants in mind. The hardest part is during the course they don't know who the winner is, they record when they are down to three. So when the winner is announced they can start burning and distributing copies immediately.

Disco? What songs should they sing? I'v become a Taylor fan, but I think Katherine would do well with Donna Summer's "Last Dance", starts off slow, builds, could show off many aspects of her voice, as long as she goes for it with attitude during the uptemp finale, and get's down with a decent outfit.

I think TWWW is too Over the Rainbow'ish. She needs to broaden.

Taylor? No clue. Barry White, KC, Commodores, Stevie? My concern is that he's going to dance more.

I also heard that Wed two-hour finale will have a segment featuring Bacharach songs and guest appearences including Dionee Warwick. Underwood and Aiken are going to show, and Paris does a duet with Al Jarraeu.

Also the various former female contestants will do a medley of power women songs, Aretha, Shania, etc.

Takes 1 minute to announce the winner, but it sounds like they are going for a 2 hour ratings bonanza.

I think one of the things that AMERICAN IDOL may bring back to network television is Music itself...They occasionally bring on a superstar from the past to perform...I'm thinking that there should be a show dedicated to that...The baby boom generation still loves the music they grew up with...The fans of the music of the seventies have come of age...They are the biggest group of active music buyers out there...If i were in charge of a network i'd have a show in development right now...Where Artists like Donna Summer, Elton John, Neil Diamond, Lionel Ritchie...and yes...Eric Carmen would perform live in a concert setting...There are multiple marketing synergies that are really too lucrative to overlook...So I think it's just a matter of time...They could call it ONLY YESTERDAY...Such programs have done well on public television...When are the commercial networks gonna wake up?...I'm waiting...I wanna watch it now!...I wanna hear it now!

Not since Ed Sullivan have I actually made a point of getting in front of the TV in time for a music show. Gee, instead of every network doing "reality tv" why don't they do some popular music? Ok, with the exception of rap crap. Is that really popular? Pleeeeease, if it is, don't make a show out of it.

Wait... Eric Carman as network television producer. And the house band....

gads those two "new" songs really sucked and Kat missed a few notes on her's.

Who writes that schlock?

I sure am glad Chris did not make it to the final as the songs they give to the final two for the first singles each and every year have been bad .

I used to get in front of the TV for MTV's unplugged when it used to be on.

Some rambling Idol thoughts...I'm still not sure what America's gonna do with Taylor Hicks after he wins tonight. And if I hear Katharine McPhee singing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" one more time today I think I'm gonna puke! Who decided that every song has to be reinterpreted with Mariah Carey vocal gymnastics, anyway? Hmmm...

Bernie

Other rambling thoughts... "Age" really shouldn't be factor for Taylor. EG: All the following are on the top of the charts: He's only 2-3 years older than Pink and Jessica who obviously appeal to a very young audience, he's younger than Jewel, Daniel Powter (So you had a bad day) boy toy Nick Lachey (#2 on Billboard presently) and 10 years younger than Tim and Faith, and Keith Urban.

In light of the McCartney hair dye thread, Taylor refused to color his hair which makes him look older than he is, if he just took the grey out, no one would even suspect a thing, and no one would call him the old guy. He says he's not changing, what you see is what you get, and that sincerity comes through in his singing.

But like Bernie says, here lies the rub, how do you market him, and what style do you focus on?

Imagine the label exec that had an early Joe Cocker in his office, heavier, less attractive, and you think Taylor is ecletic on stage... but oh the voice and emotion that comes out.

I'm concerned about AI's career guidance, after seeing what they picked from 150 - 200 writers songs.

And the winner: Chris Daughtry! He was better than both of these kids. Mcphee, once again seemed nervous and didn't give it her best. If Taylor goes to the high note at the end of the last song and nails it, he would get my vote. But he wimped out. Chris would have gone for it...and probably nailed it.

Katherine can definitely sing, but last night she was not good. On her 3rd song, I was wondering if Randy Jackson and I heard the same thing. He said the song wasn't good, but she sang it well. In my opinion the song wasn't that great, but neither was her singing. And finally, I agree with Bernie - How are they going to market Taylor???