Impact of "American Idol" on Music

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the heck is American Idol going to promote Taylor if he wins? I can't imagine him singing any original material and selling many CD's. Unless, it's a "Singing with Taylor" Karaoke CD. He seems like a nice guy, but I can't get the image out of my head of his singing Karaoke night after night in his hometown bar with his "Soul Patrol" cheering him on.

Good bar singer - Yes, American Idol - No.

Just my opinion...

Tim

I am so glad to see these posts...maybe because I am pretty much in agreement. The past few weeks Kathryn has done quite poorly and I just dont think the one good performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is enough to warrant the IDOL title.

Taylor is "the entertainer" in the group. While I risk being shot for bringing country music into the discussion, it is like the difference between Garth Brooks and George Strait. Both are terrific singers but only Garth Brooks can be viewed as an entertainer.

I originally rooted for Taylor Hicks because he was so different, but he's sort of like a caricature of himself now. I agree with Eric's criticisms of Katherine.... Nice singer who could use some guidance (Eric Carmen Management Group Inc.?), and I kind of think she'll win. But I guess I'll root for Elliott---I lived in Richmond for six years and really liked that city.... Time to go find out....

Tony Cartmill said:

You know "Lost" blows away "American Idol" as entertainment for smart people...like me ;)

It's always a hard decision on Wednesday nights !! I LOVE "LOST"...but I DID record last night's episode and just finished watching....TONY, this is getting GOOD, isn't it ??? :blink: Next week's previews look SO exciting !!

(and they promise to give us some answers, so *WE*, the viewers, aren't so...lost !) :)

but, back to American Idol...

I never thought I'd hear myself say this :D ...but, since Chris is gone, I'm pulling for Taylor to win. Katharine will have a wonderful career, no doubt...but at this point, her performances seem a bit too unpredictable.

M.

After watching I have come to the conclusion that these people are getting way way more exposure than their talent dictates.

The sad thing is that if Springsteen, Cocker, Kelly, Journey, (and RIP Redding and Garland) appeared on a show together to do this material it would get perhaps 1/5 of the ratings of AI

so its not about the music but the game.

Ok, all of you critics. I have a "What If...?" What if you were a very talented singer AND songwriter that just couldn't get anyone to give you OR your songs a listen. Would you try out for AI to get the exposure? And if you did, do you think it is fair that so many people label you as a "Small/No Talent" that is just singing karaoke? I get a little peeved when people are so quick to judge these contestants. They are only following the format of the show. We might not know till later how really talented they are. I remember all the same criticisms from the first season. Well, let me tell ya....I think Kelly Clarkson is the Real Deal. Her song "Because of You" is one of my favorite Top 40 hits in a long time, and she wrote it. I have always been a sucker for the singer/songwriter, but I have also loved a lot of artists that didn't write their own material. Give these guys a break. I think AI has done a great job at bringing back Pop music, and that beats all that Hip Hop and Rap crap.

Craig, I KNOW I'm critical of these contestants :(:wacko: ....I can't HELP it...Chris was my favorite !! :angry:

All kidding aside, you make a great point.

I LOVE watching the show...and it's given some talented people major exposure !

:) M.

I'll grant that it has pushed "pop" back into the mainstream more than Hip Hop or Rap... and I agree that a lot of artists do quite nicely recording the songs of others... and lots of guys (like me) who aspire to write a song and to "hear it on the radio" need performers who don't write their own stuff all the time since... well, like they once told the late Ron Luciano that he had a face made for radio; I have a voice made for silent movies! :(

Any of you "Idol's" or "almost idols" who need material; I'll have a few ready (as soon as my esteemed co-writer finishes with them... ;) )

I think Craig is absolutely right. Kelly Clarkson may not be everyone's cup of tea, but she sure beats the pants off all the ©rap and hip hop "music." I heard a Beyonce song on the radio the other day and it sounded like I was stuck in between two radio stations. That's the way most of it sounds. Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson sound like The Beatles and The BeeGees to me after that junk! And you can bet that whoever wins AI is gonna sound a whole lot better comin' out of your radio than Fitty or Snoop. I welcome Taylor OR Katherine with open arms! God bless you, Simon Cowell! ec

As to the vote being close, that is the way they gimick the vote. Its like taking a water hose and putting three needle holes in it and then seeing which hole leaked the most water after two hours. From most accounts all the lines were busy during the two hour vote window so if a phone bank can only handle so many calls per hour it does not matter if there are 10000 or a million people trying to get thru, the totals will be very close.

How could they change this? Perhaps limit one vote per phone number or have all calls come in to the same number or open the voting for 12-24 hours.