Impact of "American Idol" on Music

Kelly Clarkson aside, I have yet to hear/decipher any real contestant talent on that show (although I do admit to liking that Clay Aiken single from a couple years back). I basically tune in (from time to time) just to watch the judges. Eric's right - Simon is brilliant.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else think last night's performances were the best yet by these contestants? :)

I THINK I still think Chris has the edge to win, but Katherine's performance was incredible....(and Rod Stewart really seemed to be having fun with the show)... now, wouldn't it be great to see an "Eric Carmen song" night ? :)

See New York Times online today re "Impact of "American Idol" on sales of music.Similarly,I remember the impact of "Gary Lewis" doing "This Diamond Ring" on "Sullivan".It was a hit the next day."Idol" is today's version of Sunday night-in the 60's-when we religiously watched "Ed Sullivan" with the family.And in an age with so many things to watch 30 million viewers is pretty incredible!-Ira.

Katherine pulled into the lead last night. Paris was also terrific. Kelly stumbled a bit when she couldn't find the beat and then couldn't recover. Ace gives me the heebie-jeebies. I think he'll be gone soon. Taylor just hasn't been as good since his original audition. He kind of pulled it out at the end, but it seemed a bit forced. I thought the guy with the little beard did well, but he looks more like Amish Idol and, fair or not, that's going to keep him from winning. I missed Chris. What song did he sing? My money's on Katherine for the moment. ec

For what it's worth, The Minneapolis Star Tribune agreed with you, Marlene, and so did the Detroit Free Press. Raves all around....

Eric, Chris Daughtry performed "What a Wonderful World." Not bad at all.

I've been fond of Katherine McPhee all along. I'd love to see her win the competition --- if not Kellie Pickler or, yes, Taylor Hicks. I get a kick out of his act, because he seems to have such a good time. And he's sort of the "anti-Idol" in terms of appearance. There's something so "human" about him.... Kellie showed an endearing humility, too, when she said she "butchered" the song she did....

Anyway, I'd like to see any of those three win, but Katherine has the best chance, as long as she avoids getting tentative or nervous. But even the "losers" win, in a way, don't they? I haven't been keeping track, but don't the top 4 or 5 end up getting record deals?

PS: Ace? My wife drools over the sight of him, but I'm not impressed.

Hmmm...I'm of two minds about this "star search" stuff, plus I don't watch much TV. On one hand, the pathological frenzy of celebrity and the inherent drive towards by (almost) everyone is truly frightening....I just don't get it. The seems to be no limit to the depths of debasement and humilation people will suffer in the interest of becoming a "star". The society's LCD has bottomed out..nearly. Conversely, why shouldn't folks with talent be exposed to those who could help them have a career? There is a place for "entertainers": singers and such, who are not composers, etc. History has a great selection of them...Sinatra, for one....so, I suppose it's a decent forum for them.

I, however, haven't had much time to watch the toob...I have songs to write and records to make :)

I don't tune in to Idol, but usually hear tidbits on the radio the next day. The news today was that Rod Stewart made a fool of himself flirting with Kellie Pickler. I don't know if that was on air or behind the scenes. Geez, let's see, he's 61 and Kellie is about what 19 - 20? Is his 34 year old girlfriend getting too old for him?

Well, the show was a little disappointing last night for me...but I'm still cheering for Chris to win! I spent most of the show wondering about some of the song choices.....and what Kellie did to "Unchained Melody" was just bad :( .

I'm anxious to hear what some of you thought.....

(about the MUSIC, Tony !! ;) )

Well, even when she's not perfect, Kellie still has a certain appeal.... If she gets booted off A.I., I predict she'll become the first artist signed by Eric Carmen Records, a new label to sprout out of Cleveland.... :)

It's time for Kelly to go away. The last 2 weeks have been terrible for her, and she has almost become a parody of herself. If she didn't have the decent teenage looks going for her, she would have been gone a long time ago based on singing.

I thought Elliott was the best last night :) , but Paula almost overshadowed his performance with her over-dramatic rambling response. :wacko:

Tim

A couple of years ago I was fishing up on the Little Susitna River and I thought I heard someone singing real quietly. It was a strange sound with an unusual rhythmn and kind of irritating tone. I walked along the riverbank and found a drowned moose caught in some tree branches, head bobbing in and out of the water with the current. The noise was from the water and wind flowing in and out of the moose's mouth. Kelly's singing last night reminded me of that.

I should probably read all of this chain before posting, but I was stalking after Mellie (heeheehee) and saw this.

Oh puh-leeeeeez.

American Idol???? Pardon me while I wretch.

Sorry, but this is one of my soapbox topics.

A friend who has a friend who is connected to the show (who is an acquaintance - long story), has promised to tell me when I need to think of turning on this go round and following for the first time ever. I still have not received the word, and someone told me today that we are getting down to the finalists. Hmmm....

Sorry for any offense I have caused...I'm tired so am especially cynical....looked here for the first time in ages and saw this topic, so I bit.

Cartmill, I guess people will be going after me now. Can I come to your house and play, or have I offended you, too?

Time to sleep - I promise I'll come back and play someday. (Gee...that would make a good song title...<eg>)

S*

I watch OT(The Spanish American Idol),but as an enterteinment only.I don't like that way of making stars.I prefer them meeting at school or by ads,creating a band,etc although I really don't believe this way of forming a band is true all the times.I suspect great part of bands(even alt bands)are created by people who has nothing to do with music.,but I like bands that create themselves.Do you imagine an OT or American Idol to create the new Beatles or the new Raspberries?AAAAAAAAgh!