Eric, Have You Ever Been Tempted...

TOMMY TUNES

Reflections was a fine record. I have never thought about covering it. I think the best part of the record was the singer's voice, so why bother.

Every time one of the American Idol contestants takes center stage and announces they're going to sing a song by Whitney, Mariah or Aretha, I want to slap 'em up the side of the head. Those are the LAST three women (along with Celine) that you ever want to try and cover.

Pick a song that's great by someone who didn't sing it as well as YOU can, and you'll fare MUCH better.

Well said E on the American Idol vocal strategy, though Fowler messed up on the lyrics twice in auditions, there was a connection when he was at the keyboards, when he grabbed the mike and it became evident he was going to cover Michael, it was like a train wreck in slow motion, that had no stop button.

I pity the fool that tries to cover the divas.. or Sting, or Freddie..

Eric Carmen said:

Reflections was a fine record. I have never thought about covering it. I think the best part of the record was the singer's voice, so why bother.

Every time one of the American Idol contestants takes center stage and announces they're going to sing a song by Whitney, Mariah or Aretha, I want to slap 'em up the side of the head. Those are the LAST three women (along with Celine) that you ever want to try and cover.

Pick a song that's great by someone who didn't sing it as well as YOU can, and you'll fare MUCH better.

E,

Thanks for answering my question. I guessed you'd like that song as I do and you make a lot of sense re the vocals being the strong point of the song so why cover it. As you may know I like to sing karaoke and I am always at my worst when I try to cover a song by a great Male Vocalist. I sing Sinatra great in the shower or in the car with the radio but horribly at the karaoke bar. BTW I find your "Go All The Way" extremely difficult to sing. Pat Pierson and I tried it together a couple months back and trust me we're no Eric Carmen. God! it was difficult. We even tried "Overnight Sensation" together another night. Another disaster. I give much credit and respect to the original singer.-TT

Eric Carmen said:

Frankie Valli used to call me up from time to time, to ask me if I had any great new songs for him. He'd always say 'You know, Eric, I'm the only one besides you that can sing 'em!"

Frankie did his turn on "I Need You", which I thought he did well and "Boats Against The Current", which IMHO..fell way short of EC's version.

All in all....I guess Jersey REALLY did get EC/Raspberries.

John