Change Of Heart LP

bahoodore

I spent 2 hours last night listening the COH album....

I am intrigued as to how I get the vibe that people don't dig this album (as much as others)...

Eric, I don't have the album credits in front of me, but somehow I seem to recall that you credited as the producer....

I think the musicianship on this record is awesome! Production-wise it reminds me of the BeeGees albums of the same era....Clean, great guitar licks all over the place, grooving bass lines and vocal stack-o-trax galore. The piano playing is delightful, very playful and imaginative...

Eric, as an example, the guitar riffs....how does it get onto tape? Did you arrange/compose the guitar parts, or does the guitar player do that in "rehearsals" while teaching/learing the songs??? Does the producer "ask" for "a sound"???...The inter-play between the guitars on this record is clever to say the least....sometimes the album sounds so "full of sound" when in reality the "rock-band" instruments are quite minimalistic (like the BeeGees)...the interplay between the instruments makes it sound like a HUGE number of muscians are playing....

What was your process????...and why does it seem that this LP gets dissed???

bahoo

Change of Heart is filled with great tunes that have Eric flexing some serious songwriting muscle.

IMHO "Desperate Fools," "Heaven Can Wait," "Hey Deanie" and "Someday" are each as perfect as a song can be.

I actually prefer the demo of "Change of Heart" to the high hat hitting disco-esque LP version, but that's me. Not a big fan of "Haven't We Come A Long Way" and "End Of The World" for the same reason. I'd also skip "Baby I Need Your Lovin'," because I much prefer an Eric tune than a cover. "I Need You" would have worked well on this album.

This album is loaded with some pretty stellar studio musicians (the Porcaro brothers, Danny Kortchmar, Richie Zito, David Paich, etc.), so I'd guess that they offered some valuable input as to the sound.

Personally, I prefer the collection of songs on "COH" to the "Geffen" album. I also feel that the version of "Baby I Need Your Lovin'", while it is slick, is as good as any Motown cover by anyone.

Eric did produce this fine collection. I think any lack of enthusiasm for this album probably stems from the rock vs. disco schism of the late 70s. Kind of rock'n'roll kids vs. slightly older pop fans. (Fuddy-duddies, to those kids.)

A great album of great songs, but some of the arrangements sound typical of very slick disco/pop/soul records that were coming out at the time that were full of session players and sounded kind of generic. I know that those guys Marvin mentioned are major heavyweights (Toto, Boz Scaggs), but they played on EVERYBODY'S records!

The string arrangements (not counting Desperate Fools) are especially disco-ish. Some very non-rock, funky guitar tracks too. Fender Rhodes piano parts also sound rather lightweight in the context in which it shows up here.

Those string arrangements in question are by the late, great Gene Page.

He was a giant, but it ain't rock'n'roll in the sense of where rock was in the late 70s.

I think that many of Eric's fans wanted to hear him 'rock out.' This was a MOR album.

I'm listening to it now at my computer. I had to go out to the car to get it 'cause I was listening to it there this morning!

PS: I always thought that parts of this record sounded very much like recordings by Samantha Sang and Valerie Carter. (both of whom sing backup on a couple of songs on Change Of Heart.)

Nice analysis Drupelet.

Every fan here has a different opinion on each of the albums, but the general consensus seems to favour "Boats" and the "Geffen" album.

I remember when I first heard the songs "Haven't We Come A Long Way" and "Change of Heart." I clearly recall being surprised, thinking that this was not what I expected from the guy who sang "Tonight" or "That's Rock And Roll." Still, the "CoH" album for me has stood the test of time, and I still enjoy it from the first cut to the last.

For me, it wasn't until "Tonight You're Mine" that Eric finally meshed his 'rock/pop' self with his ballad self. I think his harder-edge voice has never sounded better than it did on songs like "It Hurts Too Much", "Inside Story" and "You Need Some Loving."

Marvin, I agree with your assessment of "Tonight You're Mine". My favorite song on that album is "All For Love". I love the opening four chords! They show up a couple of times throughout the song. Like diamond accents on fine jewelry.

I'm frankly amazed that folks like the Geffen album so much. It just has such a generic feel to it. Drum machines, cheesy synth sounds—just the worst instrumentation the 80s had to offer. Good vocal performances, but the songs are... well, too simple IMHO—lacking in classic Carmen passing tones and clever chording. And then there's the rewrite of Go All The Way... ho-hum... zzzzzzz...

Reading about Eric's experiences on these forums about making that record (Kalodner, etc) I doubt that it was his favorite album by a long shot.

The producer, Bob Gaudio, even had Eric record a song HE wrote just so he would get a bigger piece of the pie. What do I know? Maybe that was Eric's favorite song ever... but I seriously doubt it.

But, we were talking about "Change Of Heart". Great cover photo!

Raspbernie said:

"All For Love" is one my absolute favorites, too! Best part for me is just after the sax solo...sends shivers up and down my spine every time!

Oh yeah "All For Love" is priceless. A great ballad that fits snugly among the rockers on "Tonight You're Mine."

In regard to "CoH", I want to know why it took Andy 2 hours to listen to an album that is barely 40 min in length? ;)

why 2 hours????...well I went to bed, and Lori was dead asleep...so I did some laundry, folded laundry, and prepared some carrot and ginger salad for lunches...listening to the album ...then went to bed and listened to it twice again...for some reason I put it in the same category as joe jackson's "Im the man"....a stripped down record that speaks volumes....and I agree with Raspbernie...I do not enjoy the cover (BINYL)...though, as marvin says, eric does it justice....I just dont think its a THAT good a song...EC has written plenty WAY better...so I would rather hear his penned tunes...

Desperate Fools Overture

Haven't We Come A Long Way

End Of The World

Heaven Can Wait

Baby I Need Your Lovin'

Change Of Heart

Hey Deanie

Someday

Desperate Fools

After Boats, Eric was under pressure to do something commercial. Commercial during the latter part of the '70s was synonymous with disco.

Eric has only made great albums. When you start ranking them, unless you're going to rate them all #1 (Hit Record, Yea!), disco is a little cliched, so maybe the disco-esque production on several of the songs just hasn't worn as well as some of Eric's other albums. There's a bunch of great songs on this album, however!

Good point Kirk. I think that the issue is not that it's disco or not, but that the production is a step in another direction.

My impression is that Eric's first album and Boats were both going for a piece of Elton John's 1970s singer-songwriter market share. Change Of Heart was going for something much more mainstream. It feels like it was going for a SLIGHTLY lower common denominator.

I never REALLY considered this, and I bet that most of Eric's male fans haven't either, but was Eric intentionally marketed to an exclusively female audience? And, 'maybe,' they figured, 'if we pick up some of the male market along the way, great!'

I mean, look at the photos on the covers. All going for cute and sexy... even the photo on 'Tonight Your Mine' is trying to make some strange sexual point. Lucky for Eric he had the looks! (This wouldn't work for, say, Randy Newman!)

And furthermore, was Eric, at least in part, specifically writing to that female audience? Answer... absolutely YES! Eric is way too smart to not know who his target audience is and as much as his efforts were focused on expressing himself creatively, he definitely knew that he had to sell records to keep the ball in play.

As a member of Eric's female audience from the beginning, you are correct, Drupelet!! But I have to say I heard the Berries before I ever saw a picture of them. It was definitely the song writing that hooked me. Funny enough, my hubby is now a fan - that's what happens when you hear the music over and over and over...

It has always been that the music and lyrics spoke directly to me and that the fact that the boys are VERY easy to look at comes second.

I hate the "tonight you're mine" album cover and I know that Eric had nothing to do with the cover concept. marketing is marketing.