Eric: What's this?!?

Eric Carmen is gracious in victory: As a member of the Sounds of Silence, the Raspberries singer was once a rival of Cleveland's Cellmates. He'll join the group for its first reunion show in 20 years, at the Brush High Class of 1967's 40th-anniversary reunion. The private event will be held at the Mayfield Sand Ridge Country Club on Saturday, July 14.
—Cleveland Scene, July 11, 2007

Did you actually sing a tune or two with your high school rivals?

Bernie

Well, if you remember the story from "Marathon Man", The Cellmates were the school's Motown band. They started pretty late Saturday evening, and they were playing all the same songs they played 40 years ago. I don't really know any of those songs, and the P.A. system was pretty rough, so I just kind of snuck out during their set. The reunion was terrific, though. Brush High's Class of '67 was one great group. People who graduated a year or two after us come to OUR reunion instead of their own, because ours is always more fun. The Cellmates sounded just like they did back in the day.

ec

To be honest, Larry, "She Remembered" didn't pop into my head at all, perhaps because neither of the girls who were the composite for that song were in attendance.

I'm not sure why, but it seems our particular class is unlike most other classes that I've talked to people about. Most of my friends say their reunions were really dull affairs and that not many people showed up and even fewer people had a good time. They seem to have gone to one or two and then given up. My class always has a big turnout and it's always been fun. I've gone to all four of them.

It's kind of odd how, as soon as you graduate, all the "cliques" seem to disappear. There seemed to be more and more sentiment among my classmates that they were just happy to "still be here."

Bessieboo, do you really want the "style report"?

Thanks, Eric -- I was only half-serious. But that's interesting that your class has such a big turnout. I think it's great, especially considering the only class reunion I've ever attended was the 1st or 2nd year after I graduated from college (1983 or '84). Haven't been to a college or H.S. reunion since then. (My disclaimer: After my junior year, my family moved, from western PA to western NY, so I suddenly had two graduating classes I didn't really fit into!)

Anyway, I'm thinking about hitting my 25th HS reunion this November, just for the heck of it... and also, to be honest, because you've made it sound kind of fun on a couple different threads here.

Like the Beach Boys said, "Be true to your school now (just like you would to your girl or guy)":

(Trashy-sounding, but Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Al, Bruce are all intact, c. 1981.)

I've only been to one reunion, my 20th (10 years ago)...

"dreams are forever and somethings you never forget" may be true, but there are other truths as well... like "some people remember things you did forget" or "some people remember things that never happened..." ;)

I had several of my female classmates, girls who I felt I'd never have had a chance with back then, approach me and tell me that they had the biggest crush on me back then... :(

And of course one that I knew about, though had not reciprocated, actually introduced me to her husband as "the guy she had a crush on in high school." He spent the rest of the evening eyeing me suspiciously...

And then there was the dance... can't think of the name of it, but it's that train thing where every body grabs the person ahead of them and meanders around swishing their hips to the tempo... 37 years old at the time... and one of the girls threw her hip out, was laying screaming and writhing on the floor until the paramedics came to take her away...

Yeah, what a night... :lol:

We had reunions every 5 years, and I went to all of them, except for my 30th which was last weekend also. At my 25th I was newly divorced and ran into a guy who had a crush on me in high school but I always turned down for a date because I had dated his best friend and I just wouldn't have felt right about it at that time. So we go out a few times and I think things are going nicely and then on our third date, he says he doesn't want to see my anymore, he was just getting back at me for turning him down in high school. Talk about a guy with issues ! Shortly after that I meet the man of my dreams, so there is a happy ending.

:wub:

I went to my 10th reunion. It was kind of boring. I had to cover a big zit on my forhead. Geeeez! One of my best friends from HS showed up drunk and confrontational, then he left early. I hung out most of the night with two old friends who I suspected then, but now they were celebrating being gay. One guy, one girl. So we spent half the night mocking heterosexual relationships...

Next time I'm going to Eric's reunion for some good music and fun...

My re-union in June was OK. My friend/classmate came down from Pa., me up from GA. to Annapolis, MD. Last time the re-union was in the same county --- this time not as close to Friendly High School in FT. Washington, MD. Reckon they wanted to go upscale but that might have dis-couraged some people.

It was nice to see old friends and have different group pictures taken from elem. school/neighborhood connections, etc., etc.

Then in some cases I didn't know a particular classmate but we knew people in common so that way we could catch up on all the news. Nice to

go to it but not exactly a blast!

Athough I did like it when a few of my classmates, who also went to elem. school w/ me got special awards. One got the Trojan award for having the youngest/newest child === condoms of course. Eric might woulda won that, huh?? :cool:

And the other one won the Turtle/No hair(hare) award for the chrome dome ==== Turtle Wax of course!!

We did have a sense of humor, to say the least. One morning of my senior year I came to school & we found 77(?) tires on the flagpole from really old to really new at the top w/ a bra & bottle wine at the top. Great sense of humor!! :lol:

I went to Mentor High School...Class of 76...largest class ever in Ohio..over 1,200! We just had our 30th...it was fun...less than 200 showed up.Good thing they had name tags though...There were not many I faces or bodies I could recall.I'm very glad I went..A good friend Todd Korman died weeks after the reunion of a massive heart attack. Todd's father owned PIKS A bigtime record dist in Cleveland. That reunion was the first time I had seen Todd in 3 or 4 years. Over 30 people from our class were deceased by the time of the reunion.

I missed my 10 year reunion, but went to my 20th 2 years ago. Had the best time of my life.

The sad part was the girls who peaked in high school. They looked like old brittle versions of themselves. Sadly - most married the guys on the football teams, etc., and are now divorced with a couple of kids. I was quite surprised to see how old they looked (we're - GASP - 40 this year!) - but many of them looked at least 10 years older than me.

Still - Eric's right - all the old groups had disappeared, and everyone had an amazing time.

The sad part was that people who still live in town didn't make the effort to go to the reunion, but many of us traveled thousands of miles to be there.

I've gone to all except my 30th last year, because my brother was in the accident and was still in the hospital. I usually have a good time, but I still keep in touch with the people I was friends with in high school-they don't have very good memories of HS, but I pretty much got along with everyone. At my 5 year reunion, I sat right next to someone who lived around the corner from me and I didn't even know who he was. He had changed that much in 5 years. Sometimes more fun than others. Of course, we only had 130 people in our class, so really we all know each other.

you know, high school really wasn't great with the harrassment aspect (and I was THIN then but didn't have a fashion/hair sense) but I think it has to do with the fact that we are so different now than we were then - interests and maturity levels, etc. more important things and people these days...like WAB!!!!!

:lol:

My friend, friends from high school that I really care about, I am still friends with.

But we rarely talk about high school, we have current interests.

Coincidentally four of us live in the same neighborhood, 30 miles away and a different county from our old school.

The one exception was my old best-friend, she weird-ed out when I had the boys. She couldn't understand how I could "give up my life to be a house-frau", silly girl never understood love. I am curious how life turned out for her.

I'll go to the 30 reunion, I missed the 20th because of my In-laws 50th anniversary.

After the 15th, I became great friends with a girl I was so envious of- when we were in school. That friendship alone is worth any other nervous feelings I felt attending.

The next reunion, I do know which mad-kisser to avoid!