"Every Day's A New Day"

ira

Eric...I don't expect you to respond ...'cause I know I'm re-hashing...BUT...I'm a person who has very few songs that I have heard "Ad-Infinitum" (over and over)...yet I still enjoy them each time as if it's the first time.

Today I was in Walgreen's in Colonia New Jersey and when I heard "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again"...to (forgive me) quote Anne Murray.."I just fall (fell) in love again".

Thanks for... (To quote Herman's Hermits)...Makin' life... "Just A Little Bit Better"-Ira.

Thanks Darlene.

Thanks Laura.

I personally have some difficult stuff going on in my life right now...But I have passions...as does everyone who regularly communicates on this site...and these passions make me glad to be alive.

MY personal concept of hell-whether real or metaphorical-is that hell is a place of no new discoveries and no new revelations...and I think of hell as a state of status quo-a state of no highs- and no lows.

To me Eric's music is like fine art-a constant source of new revelations.

Eric's music makes you feel the full spectrum of all your emotions.

It is one of the joys that counterbalances the mundane aspects of everyday life.

I look at Eric's music like I look at at Van Gogh's "Starry Night". Each time I listen to it-I discover many new things for the first time.

With all the posts... people post..With all the threads people begin...This is the bottom line....They are saying that Eric's music is a constant source of joy,revelation,and discovery and that we have all been enriched by having Eric's music serve as the soundtrack of our lives.

Thanks again Eric. For your music,and for your passion.

You have made everyone's life a little bit better-a little more enjoyable.This-is no small feat-Ira.

And to think...At first one of Eric's motivations was simply to get girls-but to quote Springsteen as recorded by Dave Edmunds..Sometimes..."From small things mama,one day big things come".

Eric may have written his first songs to get girls...but he wound up giving us GREAT music and alot of wonderful moments!-Ira.

There are many songs in my past that can take me back to remember when...But Eric Carmen's music has had the power to go a little further...To take me back with heartbreaking accuracy back to an emotion...There was a time i felt so down...every time i thought of her i just wanted to die...I'd be driving around all over town with no destination in mind...Listening over and over to one song on the 8 track...It began with the lines...No use pretending things can still be right...there's really nothing more to say...

Somehow EC got to the heart of a universal emotion in a way that still rings true today...And when i hear that song now...i softly smile at the thought of the teenage me...who thought it was the end of the world...and i can live out the moment and touch that emotion again as an older man...whenever that song from the soundtrack of my life begins to play...

i'll get along without your kiss goodnight....just close the door and walk away...

Dan...I'm tellin' ya I listened to so much radio when I was younger that there are so few songs that can still give me the same goosebumps today that they did then...But-"Never Gonna Fall In Love Again", "Second Avenue" by Tim Moore and "When I Grow Up To Be A Man" by Brian Wilson...have no statute of limitations for me...They still..."feel like the first time"-every time I hear them.-Ira.

Always thought "Never Gonna..." had one of the strongest verse melodies...then the chorus has a very simple melody...but the orchestration and instrument counter-melodies really soar and still get to me after 30-plus years. It's a non-traditional mix of some great Carmen/Rachmaninoff musical ideas and haunting Carmen lyrics.

Muzza--Walgreens is a big chain of pharmacy's here in the states. In addition to the pharmacy, they sell makeup, pop, candy, cards and gift wrap, seasonal items and liquor. Our neighboring town will be getting one in a few months! I'm excited!

They're pretty famous for the pharmacy part though as they are all connected by computer making it great for travelers to get their medications when in another part of the country.

Julie (hope I didn't step on Ira's toes!)

No Muzza- not at all.

Lately I have found that Walgreen's and Shop-Rite Supermarkets play alot of British Invasion, 60's, and good 70's ala "NGFILA".

Most of the time they play very popular stuff...But once in a while you'll hear "Knight in Rusty Armor", or Turn Down Day'..or OMG! "Love and Mercy" or "Just Your Imagination" by Brian Wilson".

All this has led me to the conclusion that this in-store music is being programmed by John-O who slips in a "Lost Hit" every once in a while ...when his boss isn't lookin'

Thanks JohnO.-Ira.

P.S.

Before the "Raspberries Show at the HOB in Chicago...I bought a disposable camera at Walgreens in Chi-Town.

When I got in the HOB...the camera was taken away from me.

My one bad Walgreen's-related moment.-Ira.

There are a couple of songs that "lurk" around in the back of my mind which on the odd occassion I hear and the rest of the time think about. I used to listen to them a lot when they first came out.

Green Door - Shakin Stevens and Rocking Robin - The Hollies. For some reason those 2 songs have stuck in my mind. Why? I'm not sure. :huh::)

Muzza :cool:

I started this thread by mentioning that there are relatively few songs that hold up for me after repeated listenings-BUT-"Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" always is, and always will be,a constant source of pleasure and re-discovery for me.

Well-today on a family outing my son Jake-16,impulsive,impatient,-said to me, "Dad-I really like when you play that one".That one being "Let's Pretend"-another song that never wears thin in the Sperling household or in the Sperling car.

If my son Jake behaves...I just might leave him my copy of Eric's "Definitive Collection"..as part of his inheritance when I go on to the great "Top 40 In The Sky"-Ira Sperling.

Let's Pretend features the beautiful chorus in rock music...Like you Ira...I never get tired of listening to that song...Not only an awesome song...But a heartbreakingly beautiful vocal performance that really sells the scenario the lyrics paint...If i was a young American Idol wannabe...I'd want a chance to perform Let's Pretend...If you're good enough to sing that...you're damn good...It's a beautiful song...But it takes a very special singer to pull off the vocal.