Wounded Bird Records

However...if you want to see Eric's Arista catalog reissued domestically (thus bringing the prices down from those high import figures), be sure to send the powers-that-be at Wounded Bird an email requesting they procure the Carmen titles! If enough people are interested, it could happen.

pierson,

Bell morphed into Arista back in '74. So I don't see a problem with them aquiring the rights to most of the lower profile artists.

I'm glad they've been rereleasing Warner's old catalog such as Joe Walsh, and, Tom Johnston and others. My only problem is that they're straight reissues. No bonus tracks, minimum artwork, etc. but somethings better then nothing at all, I guess...

Jeff

They have done rare and live tracks on releases, but usually when the artist works with them (example - John Waite put out a Live/Rare Tracks disc with either Wounded Bird or One-Way Records). Most of their effort though is on basic re-issues, but at least they save the consumer some bucks with the "2 LPs On 1 CD" releases!

I would have mentioned One Way but they have essentially closed up shop. They've been phasing out slowly, even though the website is still there - they haven't issued any new stuff in almost a couple years.

Although Rhino did license Eric's first album for CD reissue in the U.S., I somehow think that they won't likely get first shot at the material since they are a part of Warner Music, and reportedly Rykodisc was recently purchased by Warners.

If any company has first shot at the rights, it would be Sony/BMG which includes the Arista imprint. In the event that they don't feel it's worth their investment, then perhaps they will lease the masters to a label like Wounded Bird. There are others overseas (Gott, BGO, RPM) that could possibly do so if not a U.S. company.

That's a shame about One Way Records - They re-issued quite a few great old albums on their "2 LPs ON 1 CD" line - and, aside from being straight re-issues, they always did a great job at digitally mastering the analog source - only second to Rhino. The big labels could have learned from them!

I don't think Sony/BMG has any desire to go through their extensive back catalog for re-issues. I think they are afraid that it would hurt sales of the new artists they want to force-feed the masses (Ooops....I meant promote...). Add to that, more people might catch on that quite a bit of the new releases are nothing more than uncredited samples of riffs/music from years gone by!

Sony/BMG's Arista doesn't seem the least bit interested in re-issues. Arista owns the rights to the Ariola Label - which put out Artful Dodger's "Rave On" album. They received many requests to reissue it plus a request from original record company as well - no reply at all!

You'd think they'd jump at the chance to re-issue Eric Carmen's whole catalog, or at least, put out a two or three disc "Essential" collection that would blow the doors off the weaker single disc Greatest Hits CDs. Heck...Maybe toss in a few rarities - or even a live Raspberries show from the archives.

(Climbing off soap box now......)

A two or three disc "Essential" collection could easily hold all of Eric's Arista catalog in one fell swoop. What is it, four albums and some odd non-LP tracks? 80 minutes per CD...hmmm. Someone that has all the albums should do the math...

The Arista label surely wouldn't be the imprint that such a package would surface from...if Sony/BMG (or as I prefer to call them "Bony") were to do it, it would be thru the Legacy division.