Alvin And The Chipmunks

ira

I'll probably be thrown off the board for this one...But Eric I wondered if you saw the surprise 2007 smash...The Computer Graphics driven amimated film "Alvin And The Chipmunks".

I bring this up for a coupla reasons

I'm fascinated by David Seville AKA Ross Bagdasarian. He was the typical multi-talented guy who came to Hollywood to make it big.He acted,sang,..but his big success was with novelty records.

His first big success was with his cousin much-esteemed writer Willim Saroyan with whom...believe it or not...he wrote Rosemary Clooney's "C'Mon-A-My House".

Then experimenting with tape speed-ups he recorded the classic "Witch Doctor".

Then going a step further he tripled the effort and created the "Chipmunks".

The reason I bring up this film is that when I watched it on HBO one night I thought of you Eric, and what you have taught all of us about what a "Whore" industry the music business is...and this innocuous "Family-Friendly" film really skewers the music business.

And from a music history point of view...During the closing credits...We are shown pictures of various "Chipmunk" singles,TV shows, movies, and albums in correct chronological order.

My point being that in this frothy,commercial,critically -lambasted throw-away film...There were obviously a coupla people involved who knew what they were doin' and were kinda communicating something genuine to us music lovin' "Baby-Boomers" that I found kinda cool..And I just wondered Eric if you caught this film with your kids and if you kinda enjoyed the subtext of this supposedly innocuous G-Rated Kiddie Movie..-Ira.

My 2 1/2 year old watches that movie about 2-3 times a week. I believe the Chipmunks are real. But when David throws his Roland D50 keyboard and other music equipment out crashing on the sidewalk, and it gets soaked in the rain...Then he brings it back inside, wipes it off and everything works just fine?...THAT'S SO PHONEY, IT RUINS THE WHOLE MOVIE FOR ME... :angry: