Beatles "Nit-Picking"

ira

Eric...you have always been incredibly forthcoming about some of your past work that you have mixed feelings about.

As someone who loves the Beatles...I wondered what Beatle songs you thought were a wee-bit below the "Fab Four's" incredible standard of excellence.

I'm of course curious to hear from all of you EC.comers as well....as we "nit-pick"...and talk about Beatle songs that you thought were just okay or heaven-forbid....not so good.

My least favorite Beatle tune just may be..."I Want You(She's So Heavy") from Abbey Road..which I believe suffers from the extended,never-ending,instrumental-canoodling that Eric has criticized in the work of many other "Jethro-Tullish"-type groups from the late 60's and early 70's.(Even now I shudder as I remember seeing Lee Michaels and his drummer -"Rusty"-or something-doing "You Know What I Mean" at the Fillmore East one night in the late 60's.Their version that night as I recall...actually ended sometime in the early 70's!) :lol:

Anyway I'd be curious to hear from you Eric and alla you cyber-buddies with your Beatles ("nit") picks.-Ira.

Ah, "All Together Now"... I sort of like that one. And I love "Rocky" and especially "Sexy Sadie"... and my daughters dig "Bungalow Bill." Well, different strokes, right, my friends?

My Beatles nitpicks would be:

"Mr. Moonlight," "A Taste of Honey" (neither of which are Beatles compositions, of course), "Little Child," "You Like Me Too Much," and "Piggies," a George song that's too preachy.

In fact, I also admit that when I listen to Revolver, I skip past George's opener, "Taxman," for the same reason.... I love some of his songs (particularly "If I Needed Someone," "Something," and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"), but his sermon-ish ones leave me a little cold.

Also, I bet it's hard to find people who really enjoy listening to "Revolution No. 9."

PS: Good question, Ira.

"Michelle" by the Beatles - everything about this insipid little ditty annoys me. The childish rhymes "Michelle My Belle, these are words that go together well"????

Being named Michelle after the song likely has something to do with my pure hatred for it.

Even "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks is a better song with my name in it. My hope is that someday there will be a song with "Michelle" in it that I can stand. Weird Al has one - it's the best so far.

(As a side note, I was a teen when "Make Me Lose Control" was released, and my friend Jennifer absolutely hated the song, because her name was in it. Although, she did admit it was better than "Jennifer, Juniper")

Actually, Jeff, I did mention "#9" (see above). I also agree with you on "Mary Jane" (I can see what it was unreleased --- seems like an unfinished Lennon). However... I LOVE "You Know My Name." Great song, IMHO.

--LC

LC said:

Actually, Jeff, I did mention "#9" (see above). I also agree with you on "Mary Jane" (I can see what it was unreleased --- seems like an unfinished Lennon). However... I LOVE "You Know My Name." Great song, IMHO.

So you did. It was the last line and I completely missed it! :P

hollies65

One of my husband's favorite songs - long before he knew me - was "Michelle", so there are at least 2 of you in the world.

I still see absolutely no redeeming value. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why there is any reason at all to listen to it? I don't think I'm being hypercritical just because it's my name.

Naahhh.... it's still pretty insipid.

Make that three. For me, "Michelle" is a classic Beatles ballad from my favorite era of the group --- the Hard Day's Night/Help/Revolver/Rubber Soul era. I've always found it an easy listen... nice hook, nice melody, sweet enough lyrics (although I could live without the French verse!). :-)

It's funny: I would have thought anyone who had their name mentioned in a song would love that song.... Shows how much I know! (Of course, the name "Larry" has never appeared in a song, as far as I know!)

Best,

Larry

"There's also "I remember Larry" by Weird Al - although it's not quite the type of song you'd be proud to have your name in."

Far and away the worst (or best, take your pick) Larry song is "My Name Is Larry" by Wild Man Fischer, leadoff track to the very first album ever released on Rhino Records! ("Wildmania" by Wild Man F.)