Hall Of Fame Induction

ImARocker

I got my pass for this event and I wouldn't miss it for the world. In one humble opinion....the induction of the DC5 has been long overdue. Whatever your feelings are, they were one class act. On Ed Sullivan 18 times, more than any other group.

As you may or may not know, their lead singer Mike Smith had a terrible accident a few years back which has left him in a bad way, yet he plans on being there, along with Dave, Rick, and Lenny. Denny passed away a few years ago.

Before his accident, Mike had gone back on tour again after almost a thirty year period. Had the good fortune to see him in about five of the shows, and it brought back a very happy time in my life. Here's a few of their most memorable works. When Mike did "Because" in Chicago, there was not a dry female eye in the place.

When I was about five years old, my mother took me to see the DC5 run through the old Brighton Theatre in Chicago (since torn down). I had to stand on her shoulders, there were so many people there. They didn't play, all they did was run out of a limo, run across the stage, waive, and run outside and the place went bananas!

A very, very underrated band and glad to see them finally get in the Hall. I used to do "Because" in a few bands I was in and always loved that tune.

Rocker,,, Did you see him at the Merriville Star Plaza in 2003??? I was on that show with Gary Lewis & Mark Lindsay. I was very excited to see Mike Smith!! I'm a huge Dave Clark Five fan. I was fortunate to go to his soundcheck. They were running thru one of my favorites "Try Too Hard". I gotta say, Mike Smith sounded great!! His vocals were spot on just like it was 1965!!!! His band he had in my opinion was alittle weak. The drummer hardly played the signature 'Dave Clark" snare drum fills. He was putting his own "spin" on the drum parts which sucked. Very unfortunate what happened to Mike Smith!!

Does anybody know if Dave Clark will put out the DC5 Catalog. His window of opportunity to make a load of money off of CD's has passed. But if there was one last chance, this would be it with all the attention of the RHOF induction. Right now he's licensing the DC5 music.

I saw 3 of Mike Smith's Rock Engine's shows....and he, frankly, was (and likely still is) mystified over why Dave's still sitting on the master tapes. The 2 CD set "History Of..." is the only authorized release of their catalog on CD. I have their first 14 albums on CD, but they're Hungarian releases, all burned from pristine vinyl - still sound great, but they aren't from the masters.

A friend of mine who gets to the UK several times a year has seen Dave C., and says he appears to be pretty sick. Rumor has it he has acromegaly, a pituitary gland disorder that usually causes one's face to get disfigured (actor Rondo Hatton and wrestler Andre The Giant both had it), but he still drives around London in several Bentleys, license plates all starting with "DC5". Agree with the earlier post here that the time for Dave C. to have capitalized on releasing his catalog on CD has passed.....too many of his old fans are dying off themselves...

BTW - The "History Of" double CD set was only pressed in limited numbers (maybe 50,000 copies), and it sold out very quickly. A second pressing came out about 2 years later. I found 5 copies of that 2nd pressing at Amoeba Music in San Francisco shortly after its release, and snapped all of them up, at about $25@. I believe I fetched over $600 on Ebay for those 5 copies! (Mr. T.Tunes has a CD-R copy of my original pressing....)

I caught Mike's show in March of 2003 at B.B. King's in New York City. It was great to see him up there on the stage. I loved his voice but I wasn't particularly crazy about his band. The sax player definitely over-extended himself. Just my opinion. I always thought Mike had one of the best Rock n' Roll voices around!!