New Material

teragram

They put on an awesome show. Steven Tyler is one of the best rock singers and frontmen to ever set foot on a stage. Joe Perry is great and they look cool and scary and dangerous like a good rock band should. You wanna think about something weird, think about this. In ten years, I'll be 67, as will Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen and Steven Tyler will be 68 (assuming we all live that long). The Stones will be in their seventies and McCartney will be pushing 75. Now I ask you, who in God's name is going to be able to fill a big hall in ten years? Who's coming up? Who's waiting in the wings? Where are the groups that will replace all these acts? Where's the next Who or Stones or Beatles or Beach Boys or Aerosmith? :mellow: ec

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eric

how about re introducing yourself on select entertainment shows (tv/cable etc) as a prelude to a short tour. Find a way to start blitzing major media then WHAM, get out on the pavement with the boys and show them how it is done. The Raspberries Army is mobilized and waiting orders.

"And in september, when i first realized"

tim from long island

Susan

I'm not his personal assistant, so i won't keep track of his schedule. I realize that he has a family and a life of his own, but his field of employment is in the entertainment business. He also is a very gifted man with a lot left to share. i just wanted to convey that in a positive and supportive way.

OKAY, if he doesn't come east, i'll travel west

"AND IN THE END, THE LOVE YOU TAKE, IS EQUAL TO THE LOVE YOU MAKE"

tim from long island

I can understand both sides of the coin. We all want to see Eric and the Raspberries more frequently that we do. However, as a mom of two daughters who are the same age as Eric's kids I understand his feelings about his family - he did quote one of his friends about how fast time flies when your kids are young and that is the honest truth! You can't ever get back those times you missed whether it be a ballet recital or a baseball game, etc. I think that Eric is right about who is going to follow in their footsteps and fill those concert halls. I right now can't think of anyone that comes to mind.

I have only seen Eric once in concert and I still remember it as if it was yesterday.

Just my .02 worth.

HT from Mo :lol:

eric

i agree with ht from mo, i also have 2 kids (17 and 8), and i am well aware of the demands that parenthood places on one. I in no way expect you to give up one second of your time with them, nor you shouldn't. Time does fly fast and our primary goal is to see them raised the right way.

Enjoy whatever path you choose and regret none!

PS: my 8 yr old is a huge raspberries fan (you've transcended time itself my friend)

tim from long island

What the record labels don't see is that there are other older groups and artists out there who could be bringing in some of these crowds...and record sales too...The largest group of music fans out there is over 35...And the record labels continue to miss the mark marketing to this vast group of potential customers...The things they need to turn their sales numbers around are out there...just waiting...But they just don't see it...

Regarding the conflict of the road and family, Paul and Linda solved it simply... they packed the gang up and took them with them everywhere.

Agreed though, that their draw afforded them travel expenses and road amenties not available to our boys today.

The notion of keeping the kids normal in suburbia, with a normal routine, and normal friends, is also a strong argument against doing it the McCartney way.

I've just talked myself into recommending annual summer tours. Kids are out of school, more sheds and venues available.

The band is rehearsed, tight, and ready to go... hate to waste it.

Kevin Cronin from REO Speedwagon is a stay at home Dad, puts his kids on the bus etc. Fly's out every Friday and is back on Sunday. Really figured out how to play it both ways. He's a traveling rock star on the weekends, and a suburban Dad doing the week, who actually probably spends more time with his kids in a weeks time then the standard 50 hour Dad.

Feels a little stupid even comparing myself, but at a freshly turned 50, I still work a full time day job and do 6 to 8 gigs a month. Two boys still at home, and a lot of honey do's. I'd hate to think I had to take it on the road. I've already gone from Gentleman Jack and coke to Rockstar energy drinks. I know it has to be hard for the guys.

JIM

"Was the death of Glenn Miller the beginning of the end?"

Probably. Setzer though, instead of being nostalgic, updated the great sound and melodies, first by fronting the band with a hollow body guitar instead of a clarinet. He rewrote every chart but stayed true to the masters, but more importantly COMPOSED many originals in the same spirit. He also wrote words to In The Mood and gets co-credit, that even has a 30 second rap break in it. Doesn't sound right but it works. You need to hear his version of ITM. He also made all those Christmas Songs sound cool with the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

As Eric says, it always comes down to the well crafted songs, and the legs come from people down the road that embrace and contemporize them.

Re: Kevin Cronin:

"I think that kind of activity could be exhausting, couldn't it? I've met him a few times and he has alot of energy, and puts, from what I could tell, a lot of pressure on himself."

It could be, but their "Behind the Music" tells of his source of energy. He's quit the partying, is a work-out freak, and still believes he can, and does, get adrenaline from both his family and his work. The pressure comes from being the primary songwriter and they are touching up a new album which he refers to as "Son of High Infidelity" Saw them last month, and the new stuff is good as I've heard from them. He's still got the pipes, and a keen sense of melody, the arrangements are great, and the band is extremely tight. Even the "new" line-up has been together over 15 years.

I've met him too and he's humble and gracious. Couldn't weigh a 100lbs soaking wet though... He appears very well grounded, particularly considering his career choice.

He spoke of the recent highs of songwriting where you can go dark for years, but once it starts pouring he can't write it down quick enough, and can't wait to bring it to the band for their treatment.

Ironically, I know EC is a Richard Marx fan, and I saw Marx open for REO on his very first tour in support of his very first album in the late 80's. On that radio that day, Richard (who holds his own in the chops dept.) said he was just blown away at Kevin Cronins vocals at sound check, and alluded that he hopes he can write those type of melodies (and he went on to do that). BTW, RM was very good, moving effortlessly from guitar to piano as Cronin does, and as someone else we all know does.

They were branded arena rock in the early 80's along with Journey, Styx, et. all but that was just responding to the invention of the early 80's power ballad. Kevin Cronin in concert will start many of those songs alone on an acoustic guitar, and you realize how strong the song is.

EC: I'm reaching for some parallels here, help me out.

They both sing lead and headed up great bands, they both are superb songwriters, both play piano and guitar, both can ballad and rock, both had severe friction with their lead guitar players (Richrath was kicked out of the band), both are perfectionists who catch unjustified grief from detractors, and both have ole James as a big fan.

P.S. REO's "You Get What You Play For" is as good an album as I've ever had/heard.

P.P.S. My best friend just saw REO in Columbus, OH and said they were absolutely awful....and he's a huge fan...I'm not sure what's up there..