New Material

teragram

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the backlog of registered unreleased material that we KNOW about, I have to believe their are a ton of songs, bits, pieces, etc. floating around in Erics head.

I guess one of his dilemna's would be something to the effect is this composition an EC or Raspberries song? Or what tempo is this melody best served? And the biggest question, what label would push it?

How about the EC.com Juggernaut label. We have more power now than losers like Sony Music...

And Bernie can supply a coupon for a free gallon of milk with every CD purchase.

So all we need now is for Eric to get therapy to help him "get over" the imaginary imperfections in some of his unreleased material, and crank out some new recordings.

i have NO doubt in my mind eric has new material..he's an artist,he can't stop if he wants too!!! whether we hear it or not is up to him..well,maybe up to management,backers,labels,etc....i do'nt think for a minute he does'nt have something up his sleeves!! let's keep hopin!!! we have nothing to lose on hoping!!lol,chris

I just with there was some filthy rich corporate dude out there who was a fan from way back and "gets" Eric, and needed a tax write off...And he calls Eric and says, "I'll pay for your next new CD and promote it. You just go in the studio and record your best songs the way you want to, send me the bill, and let me know when you're done..."

I hear Kenneth Lay was just about to do that, just before a jealous Todd Rundgren framed him for that little ENRON thing...Dammit! :angry:

Let me see if I can clear this up a bit. Songwriting is not easy. Well, that's not quite true. GREAT SONGWRITING is not easy. It requires hours and hours of total concentration, away from all the distractions of children and telephones and business and the obligations of daily life. Needless to say, it is much easier to make time for songwriting before you have all those things. When my children were born, one of my wise old friends whose kids had already grown up said this to me: "Cherish those early years, they go by in a flash." I thought about what he said and decided to do just that. So I haven't been walled up in a room by myself agonizing over a lyric since 1997. Clayton turns nine on August 30th and Kathryn is now six-and-a-half. This will be the first year they are both in school five days a week, for the full day. (to be continued)

I might actually have a little time to concentrate. But, I've gotta say, as I gaze out onto the landscape of the once familiar music industry, it looks a bit like Mars. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is completely different. The big monolith record labels that once controlled who gets played and who doesn't are no longer in control. No one cares about FM radio anymore. The only two formats that still have listeners are classic rock and country, and classic rock is playing the same fifty songs it's played since 1980. Unless you're a country artist, there is almost no radio format able to break a record. The top forty format is almost entirely hip-hop and no one's listening. CD sales are at all-time lows. The only acts who can sell out arenas are Tom Petty and Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones. The new acts can't do it. There are now ten times the number of releases that there were thirty years ago. There is such a barrage of product that people don't have time to sift through it to find something they like. I tune in Letterman and Leno and Kimmel and hear the worst crap imaginable on a nightly basis. (to be continued)

eric,w/all due respect,u are not a has been,you are an artist and a DAMN good songwriter,husband,person,family man..we know that..if u still feel it,go for it..i (we) know what your saying..pardon me for being blunt,but u and wally seem to be going thru the same thing w/the music industry at this point!! i know you have a life now..most of us have been thru this on this website by now..but i know as a father,husband,songwriter..who never "made it"..this is your love,i do'nt think you could deny that..ther is room for u again...lol,chris

YO! MUSIC AND SONGWRITING GENIUS!...You just concentrate on writing the great songs and adding to your music legacy and immortality.

The rest will take care of itself in a Darlene-like magical way.

Remember, you have Hogya, Sharp, Springstein, Stanley and a bunch of mentally unstable but loyal and persuasive fans on your side. We'll come up with a plan...And those who get in our way will wind up serving you large Cokes at McDonalds or floating up somewhere along the Jersey shore... :cool:

Now get to work! The kids come back around 3:PM

OK, the kids are in bed. Now where was I? I've never been very excited about writing in a vacuum. It's too much work to write and record something and then not have anyone hear it. So it really comes down to this. What's the plan? If I spend all the time and effort to do this, how can I get it out there so people can hear it. Maybe cut a deal with Itunes or Starbucks. Who knows, but that's the real issue. How can you get placement in front of a large enough set of eyeballs and ears to justify doing all the work. That's what I'm thinkin' about these days.

I've got August 20-22nd pencilled in for writing at the moment. It's gonna be a rocker! Let's see what happens. ec

If classic bands from the 70's can sell out arenas and the new acts can't...Then the marketing of new music by the older acts needs to change...I see these veteran artists as a great untapped resource for the recording industry...A CD cost a fraction of what a concert ticket does...Fans of the older groups aren't flocking to buy CD's from veteran acts because it is not their expectation that they are still recording...If classic rock radio makes a mint out of playing classic songs by classic artists...wouldn't the curiosity factor attact old fans to their new music?...We have been led over the years to believe that rock dies if you're over 45...We know that this is not the case...Tom Petty, Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones know this is not true...Hey...even The Eagles are recording their first studio album since 1979.

The "baby boomers" are the largest and most affluent group of music lovers out there...Rock no longer has to die at 45...There is an untapped force in music out there...The baby boomers...Do we have it in us to change to rules of rock and pop music again?...

Ok, Tony, now THAT I can get behind!!!

Eric, I don't believe it's that any of us want to tell you how to run your business (especially a business that you've handled for 40 yrs!) It's just hard to see someone that you believe in not quite know what to do or how to fit in. For us the music is still relevant so we can't help but believe that there's still more that's special and meant to be shared. Have you been watching the member counter go up on this list? I have. We're out here. We still believe in a great thing. I guess we just get carried away in prodding you to do what comes naturally --- share brilliant music as only you can do. How do we help you make that happen without driving you nuts?LOL