Richard Marx Blog

blackhawkpat

QUOTE]Originally quoted by Bessieboo

Updated list of what the 19-22 year old, in south Florida are listening to this month.

The last list was sooo last year.

Strokes, Postal service. Hot Hot Heat, Shins, Hello Good bye.... anything sound familiar?

No? Me either.

If you said yes, then you are much cooler than me!

At the same time that the airwaves were filled with Richard Marx biggest hits...You could also regular hear his voice on Wrigley's gum commercials...I can't remember which flavor he did the jingle for...But somewhere in the 80's before he hit big he was making a good living as a jingle singer.

When I first heard "It Don't Mean Nothing" on the radio, and not knowing who Richard Marx was, I thought that the song sounded a heck of a lot like the Eagles. When I later bought the album, my suspicions were justified. Joe Walsh plays guitar on the song, and the background vocals are by Randy Meisner and Timothy Schmitt.

Marv

My daughters are all over the board when it comes to listening to music and couldn;t be more different in their tastes, which is ironic, as they spend so much time together.

21 year old-Mariah Carey, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Jordan Knight

18 year old-Insane Clown Posse, Tech9, Eric Carmen (solo only, no Raspberries, never stops playing "It Hurts Too Much"), New Kids On the Block, Loinel Richie, and Richard Marx..........I'm not kidding on any of these!

14 year old-Backstreet Boys, Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin, Mercy Me, Brian Littrell, and I'm most pleased to say, Pat Griffin!

12 year old-Justin Timberlake, Panic At The Disco, Fall Out Boy, Carrie Underwood, Hilary Duff

Can't get more different than that for one house, eh?

Then throw in my Raspberries, Beatles, Richard Marx, and EC solo stuff.......

Spent a little time over at the richardmarx.com website. The parallels with Eric, particularly philisophically on music are amazing.

I also went to school on the site not realizing the hit songs he has co-wrote for others are amazing, Luther Vandeross, Keith Urban, Babs, etc. I think he gave one to Leanne Rhimes too.

If you change the age, Richards quote earlier in this thread, I would swear was Eric's. Richard and Eric may not be able to get arresstd on radio today, but Richard and Eric have shown that they still are very significant writing and producing. Todays teens just want another mouth piece.

Funny that Richard is making noise in country, as Eric identified urban and country as the only viable formats. Also ironic that one of the biggest COUNTRY stars, is named Keith URBAN.

ERIC: You are spot on regarding CD's and going digital. I can't figure out if that hurts or helps todays songwriters. On one hand it's far less expensive to put the download online for a grassroots movement for a new band, that the label might not have agreed to print x number of cd's in advance otherwise.

On the other hand, will the industry turn in to singles if you pay by track? When I was in high school, I heard I Wanna Be With You and Let's Pretend on the stereo of my 65 Mustang, and I had to go buy "Fresh" 1 song, maybe a 45, but 2 singles? I'm going in for the whole album. If I could have downloaded those 2, for a buck each, I probably would have, and I never would have never discovered other songs like a personal fave "If You Change Your Mind"

I saw Richard in concert on his first album promotional tour (his guitar player was the red head from the Waltons)open for the then peaking REO Speedwagon (circa 1987). Only had heard his first single about the music industry (had the same attitude of Overnight Sensation), and he was great, start to finish, even at that time without the song library he now has, and he rocked, moving effortlesy from piano to guitar like someone else we all know. 20 years later he's proven he's real by his continued accomplishments in writing and producing.

Sidenote: He said he could only hope to write and sing someday like Keven Cronin back then.

As much as I prefer Eric's voice on anything he has ever penned, I think he should pick up a case of Coronas, and pay a visit to Mr. and Mrs. Garth Brooks, throw them a few songs (High Cost for starters) and write and produce with them with adding the commercial pop sensability like no one else can. Essentially be what Mutt Lange did for Shania that crashed Pop into Country on it's ear, and ressurect a couple that still have game ala Tim and Faith. Say hi to Mandrell while you're there, and throw a duet to one of the sisters.

Now if you're really gutsy, and this would be more fun, ring up Billy and give him a reason to stop lounging around his back deck, looking at his royalty checks and the two of you, become new and mutually inspired muses for each other.

2 piano's, bouncing off ideas, I'd love to be in that room during that process...

but I seriously ramble and digress....

Steve

Regarding Mellencamp, here's something from an interview with Mellencamp in the NYK Daily News:

"I'm not for people selling their songs . It's something I decided to do (with "Our Country"), but for me personally, I wanted the song to get into the consciousness of people's lives and there was only one way to do it. It absolutely would not have got played on the radio. If you look at any playlist in the U.S., who plays 55-year-old rock singers' songs? Nobody."

Marv

Like we discussed on the phone earlier today, satellite radio might be the only hope for some of our favorites or we buy our own channel.

You know, there are tons of oldies stations playing the music we enjoyed of our youth, so people clearly want to hear those acts, but where do those musicians get their current stuff played?

If there was a station that played new live Raspberries, McCartney, Vinyl Kings, Richard Marx, Kyle Vincent, Eric Carmen, etc, I might NEVER turn it off!

I was just starting high school when Richard Marx first hit the scene and I was blown away by his voice and his songwriting ability. Moreso, at this time I was really getting into musical arrangements and found out why I dug a lot of his songs so much. He used all the top session guys and I would read the liner notes before I'd even learn the lyrics to the songs and memorize who played on what tracks.

I've seen him at least a dozen times, 5 in the first two years when he was filling arenas and the guy delivered it every night. This is pre-Autotune, a vocal pitch corrector that everyone in the country-biz uses now. I saw him in Battle Creek right around this time in 1990. It was freezing cold outside, much like the weather in Cleveland is right now and he was sick as a dog. I recorded the show on my cassette recorder which I snuck in. I was in the 10th row. He came out and told the crowd 2 songs into it how sick he was and you could hear it in his voice. He said he didn't care that he was going on with the show because the place was packed. He was amazing and sang better than most singers do on their best nights.

I've had the chance to see him in an intimate setting standing within feet of him during an acoustic writers night. If anyone is a big fan, I recommend checking out Tin Pan South coming up at the end of March here in Nashville. You can see him up close and personal and get to meet him. He's very gracious with the fans.

My personal favorites are the album cuts. "Lonely Heart" and "Heaven Only Knows" off the first album. "That Was Lulu" (a bonus track on "Repeat Offender"). "Take This Heart" off "Rush Street" is great. Great catalog..

Paul

Another RM story. We shared the same engineer on our respective albums in the early 90's, Bill Drescher. So, Bill would work with me during the day, and Richard at night. One night I tagged along and sat there for the final mix of "Take This Heart" at a studio in Burbank. Richard had the playback so loud that my hair was literally blowing, but man did that song sound great. Pure pop. I had always heard rotten things about him, but we had many friends in common, mostly players, and he was a cool cat to me. Then he had to ruin it all by stealing my hair appliance.

Ahhh, Bill Drescher another one of my favorites, Rick Springfield. Bill worked closely with Rick on most of his studio records in the 80's. KV that must have been a great experience to hear "Take This Heart" just as it was being finished. Jonathan Moffet on drums, Michael Landau on guitars, I believe Nathan East on bass, killer players. The hi-hat playing on that song is sick. The tone that Michael had is one I'll never forget.

When I was 21, I bought a Mesa/Boogie Quad Preamp off my buddy and ran it through my Lexicon LXP-15 and tweaked that thing until I had the exact sound of the record. I even stored it simply as "Michael Landau" on the preset. I still have that rack and won't sell it because of the cool multi-delay I set on it. I've probably done some good damage to my ears by blasting that song as loud as you heard it that day!

Paul

We have everything in this house from KISS to Evanessence (Amy Lee is really good). About the only thing we don't have is country and rap. Never have been a huge fan of either, but I've noticed that a lot of the "harder rocking" bands/aritsts are toning it down. Bon Jovi and Kid Rock are two examples of that. A lot of their recent singles are almost cross over type stuff. I guess if ya stick your feet in both pools, your feet'll get wet eventually!!

Nite ya'll!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to Vegas at the end of April and I see Richard Marx is going to be appearing there. Is my money well spent if I give up a "big" show for R.M.? (Richard Marx and Alan Parsons Project for the about the same price as "O" or Prince.)

I saw the All-Starr Band this summer at Radio City and Richard's harmonies soared on every tune- spporting Ringo,Rod Argent,Edgar Winter,and Sheila E.,BEE-OO-TI-FULLY.

I kept imagining that Eric's voice supplied the same glorious assist on his Ringo stint.