Eric: Who's Surprised You?

ira

Tonight I had the great fortune to see "Ringo's All-Starr Band" at "Radio City".Great night-Great facility.Richard Marx provided great harmonies-and I kept thinking how much I would have loved hearing you singing with Ringo & Company a few years back.....but anyhoo here's my question:

Every once in a while I see a performer I haven't followed too closely...and I'm blown away by how good they are.

Tonite's surprises for me were "Sheila E",Billy Squire",and "Edgar Winter"-all were "FANTASTIC"!

Eric-Have you ever seen or worked with a performer for the first time and gone "WOW-I never realized how good they are!" If so who?

I'd be really curious to hear your response.-Ira.

This is an excellent question, considering how many newbies to Raspberries were totally blown away (like my friends Lindsey in NYC, then Kim in Atlantic City) when they took a chance and let old goats like us talk them into seeing Eric & co. for the first time last year.

Both of my lady friends ranted and raved about how great the shows were, and how they had no idea that Raspberries were that excellent (NOTE: Each of them turned 40 this year, and primarily knew Eric & the band from GATW and ABM.....)

I really have to say this thread's taken a really "fun" turn-seriously. Still- I'm curious about acts that surprised "Eric" and some of my "Cyber-mates" with how good they were.

By the way a performer at last night's "Ringo" show-who was "GREAT" and was no surprise- (I expected him to be smashing) was "Rod Argent".

His reconfigured "Tine Of The Season" was only topped by his incredible rock anthem "Hold Your Head Up".

Curious to hear from you-Ira.

Ringo. His style of drumming was sooo cool! I really wish he would have played by himself on a few songs. Simon Kirk was also very, very impressive. His time was impeccable and I love that he's an "all around musician." He plays guitar and piano as well as drums and did a great job singing "Allright Now." Very tasty drum fills. I've always had a special soft spot for drummers. And, for some reason, I always seem to get on well with them. I loved working with the late Jeff Porcaro. He was truly unbelievable. And, of course, Jim Bonfanti never ceases to amaze me. The fact that he's a "lefty" playing a right-handed kit makes all the fills sound inside out. I love that. Carl Wilson just blew me away when we toured with the Beach Boys. And I loved Dennis Wilson's drumming. He had such great feel. Both of them were vastly underrated. ec

Even though Hal BLaine did a lot of drumming on records for the Beach Boys ( part of the Wrecking Crew ), Dennis certainly gave it all in concert. Carl was probably my favorite performer all time. When he thanked the audience, "..very, very, very much for coming out to see them", I always felt from the audience that he really meant it. Years later in person, he came across the same way...very humble, and seemingly so appreciative to be able to make a living performing. Brian has always been the genius of the band but his "messengers" were distinguishable in their own right.

I saw the All Starr Band last month and came away with a greater appreiciation for Edgar Winter. During "Frankenstein" he not only played keyboards and saxaophone, but also played drums along with Sheila E.

This is the second time I've come away from a Ringo concert and bieng impressed with someone who I never really gave a second thought to. Last time it was Sheila E. Man!... can that woman play!!!

Jeff

How could I have left out Keith?????? Yes, he was also a wonderful surprise! The night he came up and jammed with us at the Whiskey, Mike McBride had been playing drums. Mike was the hardest drummer I've ever played with. He hit the drums with everything he had, all night long, and MAN was he LOUD!!!!! After seeing Keith on television and even playing with the Who back in 1968, I fully expected Keith to be just as loud or louder than Mike. But as soon as he sat down behind the kit all bets were off. Wally started "Allright Now" and I could barely hear Keith. He was about 1/3 as loud as Mike. When I turned around to look at him, he appeared to be flailing away just like Michael, but I noticed his wrists were as fluid as a ballet dancers. He LOOKED like he was hitting the drums hard, but, in reality, he was light as can be. It was all in the writsts. Amazing! ec

I have to say I loved the entire All Starr concert - I highly recommend Ringo's CD of the concerts - it has the line up from Eric's tour but also notably Peter Frampton. A big highlight was Mark Rivera - I have also seen him play with Billy Joel...an incredibly versatile talent.

I wouldn't have gone to see the show if Eric hadn't been in it but now I would definitely check out any of Ringo's lineups.

I wondered, Eric, did you have any say in the takes of your performances or was that all up to Ringo and/or the producers?

None whatsoever. As I recall, they only taped the last two performances. It was a bare bones production, no reverb, no effects no nothin'. The second to the last show, which was eaither St Louis or Minneapolis, I think, the piano fed back through the monitors and the main sound system for the entire song. It was absolutely excruciating. When we walked off stage a few min ut6es later, "Ringo came over, put his arm around me, and said "Eric, you're a real trouper." I think Mark Rivera blew the little bell part in the intro and then I subsequently sang the wrong lyrics. That's the take that ended up on Ringo's album. ec

Eric-My buddy JUST gave me the CD from the "Dirty Dancing In Concert" Tour.

IMHO your "Make Me Lose Control" is an example of everything going "RIGHT" on the recording of a live performance.

I thought it was soulful and treeeemendous.

How do you feel about THAT recorded performance? I'd love to hear your feelings.-Ira.

And you can't just stop the show and say "please fix the feedback and put it where it belongs..."

I was annoyed at the guitar sounding "hawaiian" at the end!! Also the drum noise at a random moment during the piano solo.

I still have it on my ipod anyway.

That's the thing that annoys me about the All-Starr Band tours. You're only gonna see that group of musicians together onstage one time. Why not record the whole tour and get the best performances? Some of the tours haven't been released at all (except for a handful of them on the 3 CD set)

I doubt Ringo's the one that makes those decisions, and he let David Fishof make them.

Now that he's no longer Ringo's manager, I'm wondering if anything will be released of the current incarnation...

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw "Tommy James" last night at B.B. King's.

I love Tommy James.Yet-There were 2 surprises.

1)-"Southside Johnnie" showed up.

2)-This 60+ rocker sounded as good as those records. "Catch Him If You Can".-Ira.

Yeah-he's got a new CD called "Hold The Fire".

He did 3 cuts including a song called "Love Words" that they claimed was getting real "Adult Contemporary" play.The stuff was good.

Again-He really was incredible-and the band was great.-Ira.