American Idol Thoughts

One can only assume the lyric refers to certain anatomical features of the female body which, according to the "song," should be used as motivation for a man to "spend his money." I haven't heard anything remotely as romantic since James Brown squealed "Shake ya' moneymaker!" Nice visual. ec

No, darling Marlene...I wish it was a dream you could wake up from and never hear again!

Come to my house (or my next soccer game) and laugh my bunch of adolescent girls who think that song is SO funny and unoffensive. You have my permission to laugh!

I read about the songs that upset other parents, and appreciate my parenting anew. My mother's only "fit" over my music was a 1970 charge to the blaring stereo to rip the needle from "Soft Parade" just after the oedipal sequence -- I'll never forget her clenched teeth and restraint, as she insisted "if I'm not in the room you can even listen to the Rolling Stones with the volume up, but you will not listen to the Doors in my house!"

But then, my mother, St. Mary's Academy class of '54, once owned an R&B 45 titled "69."

When I have occasion to ride with my almost 17 year old step daughter, invariable what ever BUMPnTHUMPnRAPnCRAP that she has in will explode in some kind of extreme vulgarity that will send her hand to the volume or the eject button... and she'll say:

"I don't mean to play that when you're in the car," and I'll answer "I wish you wouldn't play it even when I'm not in the car..."

We all know how that goes, don't we... :(

• 16 years later...