Heartwarming "Formula Movies"

ira

I really enjoy movies about...

1. Families working things out..(I just saw "The Gameplan" ..the critics hated it,I knew the ending at the beginning,and I knew I'd enjoy it.)
  2. Teams full of losers making it..."Mighty Ducks,"Bad News Bears","Major League","Fever Pitch"...the critics hated them,I knew the ending at the beginning,and I enjoyed these films immensely.
  3. Teenage losers/kids triumph....I loved Patrick Dempsey and "Can't Buy Me Love" long before he was Dr. McDreamy,"Adventures In Babysitting",with Elisabeth Shue and a cameo by Southside Johnny,.....the critics hated them,I knew the ending at the beginning,and I enjoyed them immensely.
  4. Romances that work out against all odds...."Serendipity" with Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack, "High Society" with Bing,Frank and Grace....the critics hated it,I knew the ending at the beginning,and I enjoyed it immensely.

What are some of your favorites?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee...I guess I'm the only one out there who likes these kinds of movies...which reminds me that appropriately for this site and this topic.... I feel like Renee Zellweger in the opening of "Bridget Jones Diary"(another favorite movie)...'Cause I'm sitting here eating "Haagen Dazs" and singing along to my favorite version of "All By Myself"! :( -Ira.

I'm with you also, Ira. One of my favorite movies in the world is "Mr. Destiny" with Michael Caine, John Belushi, Linda Hamilton, Jon Lovitz and Renee Russo. I adore it, even though it was pretty obvious how it would end.

I could watch it over and over again because I'm such a hopeless romantic who believes that our lives are "in the stars" and that things work out for the best. It's just so sweet that I always cry at the end even though I've seen it a few times.

:) --Darlene

Darlene...Though not a Red Sox fan perse'..the film..."Fever Pitch" with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore is a wonderful tale of a man in an unrequited love relationship with the perennially "Come-Up-Short" Red Sox and his struggles to grow up and commit to a good woman.

Unbelievably this movie is directed by gross-out kings...The Farelly Brothers of "Something About Mary" and the "New Heartbreak Kid"...but this is a REAL good/FEEL good romantic formula movie-Ira.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is about romantic movies, but I just saw "The Breakfast Club" today again, and I don't know what it is, but I just love that movie. It's a hoot! It's absolutely hysterical to me. Whoever wrote the lines hit it right on the head. And Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy just crack me up. I could watch it over and over again.

Darlene-I just remembered loving the film..."That Touch of Class" with George Segal and Glenda Jackson.

And to reveal to my cyber-friends what a total wuss I am...I really liked "What A Girl Wants"...where Amanda Bynes...DO you believe it...FRIGGIN' Amanda Bynes goes to England to meet her dad.(Basically the same film as "The Gameplan"...See beginning of thread.)

Quote:
I love "Same Time Next Year" too. I cry when I hear the theme song sung by Jane Olivor. I love her. (She has a website and is an absolute sweetheart.)

Yes Darlene, she's quite a talent. She and Johnny Mathis did a great duet on that movie's theme song. It made the movie special.

I saw her and Paul Williams (songwriter) about 23 years ago. Then she kind of disappeared. Or was it more a case of her singing style went out of favor?

Don't I remember reading somewhere that Eric always checked out prospective dates by having them watch Annie Hall with him? Am I right on the movie? All I remember thinking was "Darn, I sure hate that movie - I guess there's no hope for Eric and I."

As Annie Hall is, in my opinion, one of the worst movies ever (I LOVE Paul Simon - but not in this movie!) - that's probably why I remember it as the one Eric liked.

Actually, that's something I WOULD like to see answered by Eric - what to heck does he see in that movie? Maybe I missed something. I really was only looking for the Paul Simon cameos.

Don't I remember reading somewhere that Eric always checked out prospective dates by having them watch Annie Hall with him? Am I right on the movie? All I remember thinking was "Darn, I sure hate that movie - I guess there's no hope for Eric and I."

As Annie Hall is, in my opinion, one of the worst movies ever (I LOVE Paul Simon - but not in this movie!) - that's probably why I remember it as the one Eric liked.

Actually, that's something I WOULD like to see answered by Eric - what to heck does he see in that movie? Maybe I missed something. I really was only looking for the Paul Simon cameos.

Ira, I have one of her albums. I'll have to check out the one "Better Days" is on.

Ted, Jane really got fantastically popular virtually overnight. She became overwhelmed and said that no one actually prepared her to handle it and that and a bit of "stage fright" due to becoming an "overnight sensation" made her want to take a short "hiatus" to evaluate what she should do next. The short hiatus morphed into longer than a year or two and she sort of lost her career in the process.

Kind of like Raspberries, by the constant demand of her fans, she made a comeback several years ago and the last I checked, she was to appear in Las Vegas for a limited engagement.

She has a website (janeolivor.com), which is currently under construction, but they plan to make an interim website in the meantime, and directly communicates with fans. (Anyone wishing to e-mail her may do so at MissJaneO@aol.com)

Jane is absolutely sweetness itself. She's humble, appreciative and has a mega-talent to die for. In short, I adore her!

Darlene...That Jane Olivor song "Better Days" has the phrase..."And it looks as though we're doin' something right"...which many people think is the name of the song.

Does that sound familiar?

And back to the topic....For us Middle to Upper Middle-Agers...the ultimate "Heart-Warming Formula Movie" from our adolescence starred Ryan O'Neal and Ali McGraw ans wad also probably the #1 book before it was a movie...."Love Story".

Anyone remember the names of the characters they played?

Anyone remember what city Ali supposedly came from?-Ira.

Jenny Cavilleri, if I'm not mistaken. I was so "taken" with the whole story that I bought the book by Erich Segal. I also liked "Goodbye Columbus" with Ali McGraw.

Ira, now that you mention that line about "it looks as though we're doing something right," it really strikes a chord. I KNOW I've heard it. Also, did Melissa Manchester sing it? I think her album was "Better Days and Happy Endings," which I have on 8 track! :-)

I DO remember it now! I never heard Jane sing it, now I have to get her album with it. I loved the way Melissa sang it. I can't wait to hear Jane do it.

THANKS!

:) --Dar